I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Guide Attachment
Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 02, 2019 11:09PM

What holds a guide on to a blank, the thread or the finish? Or Both?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Attachment
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2019 11:38PM

Mostly the thread, but you have to have something (CP, finish, etc.) on the thread to seal and protect it otherwise it will eventually loosen and allow movement of the guide.

Date: May 02, 2019 11:40PM

Thanks, Tom, that is all I wanted to know.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 11:58PM

I am one to believe that epoxy is far more than just a protective shield for thread wraps , i find it add's an enormous amount of additional strength to thread wraps and this is just my opinion of course i could be way off in this opinion but attempting to remove cured epoxy on wraps that have no color preserver is a complete nightmare .

Now my opinion on removing cured epoxy on wraps that have been treated with CP is quite the opposite , much easier but thats to be expected.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 03, 2019 07:37AM

Herb is right, in my opinion. Which is more important in plywood, the wood or the glue? The result is more than the sum of the parts in both plywood and guide attachments. And probably all composites.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 03, 2019 08:16AM

The question was "What holds a guide on to a blank, the thread or the finish? Or Both?."

The answer is the thread holds the guide to the blank. No other component is needed. The finish merely makes the makes the installation more permanent.

Have fun
John

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 03, 2019 09:31AM

you can cover your wraps with CP no epoxy and fish the rod..

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2019 11:07AM

Hello All.

You can also put the guide on with no thread, just PG and go fish it.

I think you can use one or the other but together it's better.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: May 03, 2019 11:13AM

PG yes, epoxy, no.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 03, 2019 12:28PM

If epoxy were a significant source of adhesion keeping guides on blanks you would expect the epoxy finish marketing types to promote the heck out of their product's adhesive property. Flex Coat does mention adhesion as a property of their epoxy finishes, but like others there is far more promotion of other properties such as clarity, bubble release, application ease, reaction to UV, etc.

Date: May 03, 2019 04:07PM

I agree the thread can be eliminated and the guides attached to a blank using anything that will hold it in place. CP, Tape, Elmers glue, flower and water paste, bubble gum and one can go fish with it,

BUT I will guarantee in a VERY VERY short period of time there will be a lot of unhappy fisherman.

Offering a rod with guides without thread will be a wind fall for the repair folks.

Have fun

John

Date: May 03, 2019 04:42PM

I was amazed at how well guides stayed in place with just some masking tape holding them on , i test casted for hours on end with many different guide configurations with just tape holding them together . I have heard many say they know people that have fished a rod with guides taped on for an entire season and i believe it but why not just figure out where they perform best and make it permanent .

I had two bare blanks and only built one with full wraps and epoxy because i wasn't sure if i wanted to build the other casting or stick with a spinning build and i was able to fish it successfully with just tape holding everything together until i decided . To each their own as they say .

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 03, 2019 05:12PM

Many of the top tournament distance casting competitors tape their guides in place so as to protect the guides when they travel from place to place. They are casting weights close to the 300 yd mark. You can imagine the stress placed on these rods and guides.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 03, 2019 05:26PM

Glad to get this cleared up. We can use only thread if we are careful with the rod, only PG, only tape, bubble gum, flour and water paste, just about anything we want.

But I'll bet every one of us on our next rod will use thread + epoxy.

"plywood."

Date: May 03, 2019 06:19PM

John DeMartini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree the thread can be eliminated and the
> guides attached to a blank using anything that
> will hold it in place. CP, Tape, Elmers glue,
> flower and water paste, bubble gum and one can go
> fish with it,
>
> BUT I will guarantee in a VERY VERY short period
> of time there will be a lot of unhappy fisherman.
>
> Offering a rod with guides without thread will be
> a wind fall for the repair folks.
>
> Have fun
>
> John

I don't think anyone is advocating actually doing that.

If they did, then the CP with the thickening technique that Ralph O'Quinn outlined in RM many years ago creates a nearly permanent guide "wrap."

But again, nobody is advocating doing this.

Date: May 03, 2019 08:19PM

Michael D got it.

Have fun

John

Date: May 03, 2019 09:35PM

If it came down to it, i would bet the house that using a strong stretchable fused waterproof tape wrapped with tension would hold guides on to a blank and be more solid than just using thread . I disagree completely that anything other than thread will almost guarantee failure , i believe threads strength properties are far from from what makes it so appealing to the rod building industry . I believe threads attributes are many and it's popularity in rod building ( Imo) is more due to all it's amazing aesthetic abilities not it being seen as the best material for ultimate strength especially when thread is used alone and not combined with something that enhances it's strength like an epoxy top coating.

There are all types of super strength space age industrial adhesives and tapes being developed that will amaze but i believe the rod building industry is very happy where it is and is not interested in moving on from thread IF new things were available and i don't see that changing either . I know what was tried in the past and never caught on but things are always advancing.

Date: May 03, 2019 10:11PM

Guides have been held to rods with copper wire, carbon sleeves, plastic shrink tubing and more. And these were commercially produced rods.

But we are probably getting away from the OP's question.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 04, 2019 07:07AM

Both.

Date: May 04, 2019 11:33PM

I thought I might get some different opinions.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster