I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PB 701LF or 661LF
Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-137.myvzw.com)
Date: May 02, 2019 02:33AM

Gonna build a BFS rod any one build off of one of these? Any insights or any suggestions for a blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PB 701LF or 661LF
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 10:38AM

Jacob, can you give us a few more details?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 11:22AM

Are you going to set it up as a spinning rod or a casting rod? Both the PB701LXF and PB661LF have a very fast tip, almost identical action angles of 78 and 77, that allows one to cast light lures a long way, but they also have a lot of power in the midsection of the blank which allows you to move a fish when you need to. The intrinsic power of both are in the 410 to 440 gm range which are quite powerful for an advertised light powered blank. I think you will be happy with either one of these made up as spinning or casting rod. They have a very light and responsive feel in hand, and are very sensitive.
Norm

Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-9.myvzw.com)
Date: May 02, 2019 01:17PM

Well I'm looking to snatch up an Aldabaran BFS reel and make a casting rod. I recently sold my Stradic CI4 as I just hate spinning reels. I hate line twist can't cast them in the dark can't stop em when you want. I guess that's a personal opinion but I dislike them.

Anyone with experience on the BFS reels can chime in as well. I was looking at the Scorpion and the Revo LTX BF8 as well but I think this has Aldabaran all over.

Any other blank manufacturer's as well NFC or Phenix? Heard a lot of good things about the Phenix.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.w86-242.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: May 02, 2019 04:01PM

I use Aldebaran BFS and built a FC MB 661-1 (HM) to pair with.
Can’t be happier.
But it all depends what you want to do with.
I use it to cas Small Minnow (1/8oz) and most of the time Micro Rubber Jig (1/32oz to 3/32oz) with 3" trailer’

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 06:12PM

When you touch the rim of the reel with your forefinger it doesn't stop?

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 10:03PM

I was wondering about the spinning reel comments myself but he's not alone in his thinking , many don't care for spinners i just hope he's not rejecting them based on his above comments because line twist is a complete non issue with braid , they are easy to cast in total darkness and it's ridiculously easy to stop the line flow whenever you want . He did say it's just his personal opinion and he's certainly entitled to that i'm just a little depressed he sold such a fantastic reel and i didn't get a chance to buy it lol.

Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-3.myvzw.com)
Date: May 02, 2019 10:28PM

Many say the same about casting reels. They can't cast em and they blow up on em. I got my first casting reel before I turned 5. Its natural to me my thumb is trained. Sold it to my fishing partner.

I built a NFC 662 or 661 IM and it's darn nice. But I'm not sure it will load with lighter stuff got a Met on it now. The PB intrigues me with fact it goes from 1/32-3/8 and butt is 1/2" so it must have some backbone to it. The rod I'm using I'm impressed by the backbone. But I don't know if it will be soft enough. Caught a 5lb trout on it last week by accident.

Date: May 02, 2019 10:53PM

Many people prefer casting reels, it’s a matter of personal choice. Down here in the south I build 8 casting rods for every spinning rod. Many bass fisherman don’t own a spinning rod. It’s all a matter as to what you like like to use. Modern casting reels will throw very light lures on very light line a long way. The drags on these reels are superb and most are lighter than many spinning reels. There is a trend toward using baitcasters for finesse fishing and this is what Jacob wants to do. So he wants a rod with a fairly light tip for casting small and light lures using a casting reel. The Point Blanks he initially mentioned will do the job he wants to do. I have made up a few PB701LXF as both spinning and casting. It is a very light and sensitive blank that will throw a light lure a long way. It also has a lot of power in the butt section.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 11:43PM

Nobody was saying Jacob didn't have a right to feel the way he does , most like casting reels very much for good reason , my comment was just to dispel the myth that spinners are difficult to cast in the dark , line twist is a big issue ( Not with braid but with mono that still is often the case) and the line is difficult to stop once a cast is underway.

As said personal preference but lets make sure people understand that what Jacob thinks is applicable to him & that most others have no such issues with spinners.

Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-3.myvzw.com)
Date: May 03, 2019 12:26AM

Herb. No problems at all man. My fishing partner prefers spinners. They are much more forgiving. Sold him one rod working on selling him a second.

Norm. I can cast some pretty light stuff but I think a dedicated setup will be beneficial. I guess if it's a bust I will learn.

Date: May 03, 2019 01:02AM

Go for it and see what you get. If you don’t like it you can strip it down and rebuild it, or sell it or give it away. Experimentation is the best way to learn things and gain experience. You never know until you try it. Good luck!
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2019 11:46AM

The use of the finger to stop, or feather a spinning reel, or spincasting reel was taught to me by Stan Fagerstrom, outdoor writer, author, trick caster, and Hall of Famer. I was to small to do it one handed so I was taught to use my other hand also, you have to still do that with a spincast, or underspin reel, but it's still a great trick for kids, or other people using those type reels.

Posted by: Jacob Nebeker (---.sub-174-222-10.myvzw.com)
Date: May 05, 2019 11:44PM

I didn't know that. I guess you do learn something new everyday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster