I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Point Blank Build
Posted by: Junior Pearce (67.143.192.---)
Date: May 01, 2019 09:41PM

Let me introduce myself. My name is Junior Pearce and I own/operate Heavy Sack Custom Rods since September 2015 and recently started Custom Rod Supply all out of Flowood, Mississippi. Mr. Norm Miller lives right around the corner and I had no idea. He attempted to contact me several times and our times just never lined up. The other day I was shipping some rods and just so happened to have ran into him. And let me tell you, he is full of knowledge. It is nice to have someone like him to be able to talk rod building with. After visiting with him at his shop and then at mine. we have became friends and I have learned a ton from him already. I have heard him mention this board numerous times and decided to sign up. I normally keep my distance from boards due to some of the arguments and what not. But over the last few nights, I have read some really good information here and I am glad that I registered.

Through a little horse trading, I became the owner of a PB731MHXF blank. I assembled a set a carbon fiber split grips along with a Fuji ECSM reel seat. Today I did a spiral wrap guide train using Fuji's BCKWAG10, BCKWAG 5.5, BCKBAG5 and BCKTAG5 runners. I wrapped it in size a Fuji black with silver metallic trim rings and a single inlay. After wrapping everything, I took it out behind the shop to make a couple of casts and I couldn't be more satisfied. I applied U-40 finish and it is on the dryer now. I have a Thursday night jackpot tournament tomorrow night and I can't wait to put it to use. The blank itself weighed 2.2 ounces and once the build was complete, it weighed in at 3.915 ounces. Prior to this, all I have built on was Batson and MHX with the exception of one Phenix. I feel like I have been missing out by not giving Point Blank a try but I am sure glad I finally did.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Point Blank Build
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 10:36AM

Wow, Junior! We've never met but somehow I feel like I should send you a Thank You card!! Ha!! Glad you like the blank and welcome to best rod building forum of all time.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 10:55AM

Junior, thanks for the compliment, it’s greatly appreciated. Welcome to the rodbuilding forum, and I certainly agree with Jim about this being the best rod building forum around. I have learned a lot for this site. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here, and they are all all willing to share their knowledge and expertise. This site will really up your game.
I saw your PB build and it really looks great! You didn’t waste any time putting it together. I think you will absolutely love that rod. It is one of my favorites. Good luck in your tournament.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 03:34PM

Welcome Junior.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 10:19PM

Junior says:

" Mr. Norm Miller lives right around the corner and let me tell you, Norm is full of knowledge. It is nice to have someone like him to be able to talk rod building with. After visiting with him at his shop and then at mine. we have became friends and I have learned a ton from him already"

Jim Ising says:

" Wow, Junior! We've never met but somehow I feel like I should send you a Thank You card!! Ha!!"

I think Jim may have believed he was Norm for that brief period and was thrilled by the praise .

Junior living right around the corner from Norm , Anthony Unger would lose his mind if he found out Norm was a skip and a hop away .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2019 10:50PM

I imagine that Jim was referring to the blank which Junior used (Point Blank) and which is supplied by the company Jim works for.

Date: May 02, 2019 11:15PM

Although Junior is a young guy, he is a very accomplished and proficient rod builder. Since starting his business he has made over 800 rod per year. He has made more rods in the past 4 years than I have made in the last 10 yrs. He has also built rods for some some high profile bass tournament fishermen, and is one of the few if not the only person in Mississippi who sells rod building components. Yet he is willing to learn and try new things, in order to up his game. He will be a great asset to have on rod board, and I feel fortunate to have him around the corner from me. If he likes the Point Blank coupled with KR guides, Jim will certainly be a happy camper, and I cannot blame him. Junior is a very nice guy, like many of the people on this forum.
Norm

Date: May 02, 2019 11:49PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I imagine that Jim was referring to the blank
> which Junior used (Point Blank) and which is
> supplied by the company Jim works for.
>
> ..............

Of course thats what Jim was referring to but i got a chuckle out of his response BEFORE i read the last half of Juniors first post .

Posted by: Don Mang (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2019 01:31PM

Welcome Junior welcome to the forum. I am a novice builder, and have learned so much from the builders here! Your neighbor Norm has mentored me, helping me along the way that no one could imagine! Heck if he lived near me, he'd probable lock his door and hide from me by now. This is THE BEST forum I belong to. Most of the members are helpful and without drama. Again welcome and I be looking forward to seeing you on the board.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 05, 2019 09:11PM

Don, X2!

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: May 06, 2019 02:52PM

Sounds like we're headed for the MRB's...

Posted by: Junior Pearce (---.cspire.com)
Date: May 06, 2019 06:43PM

So I’ve had the opportunity to put this rod to use. I paired it with a Shimano Metanium that is spooled using Seaguar 15# floro. I was casting a 1/4 ounce Texas rig. There is not a fair way for me to rank this rod versus others I have built fairly. But let me just say that this is one of the top three best Rods I’ve ever built. I haven’t picked up a rod that makes casts better than this one does. I can’t describe it but it takes such little effort to make great casts. I found myself casting further then I intended numerous times. The line seems to just have a flow through the guide train that I have never experienced. I am in love with it. I will be building a few others using Point Blanks. And I am not bragging on my work at all, but I am bragging on the components. I and planning to pick up a PB761XXHMF to build. I am thinking about using the exact components list and plan on building this one for punching grass. Once the build is complete i will give a full run down on it as well.

Date: May 06, 2019 06:57PM

I told you were going to like that blank. Point Blanks are one of my most favorite rods to fish, they are both light and sensitive. I have built on most of them and they are absolutely phenomenal blanks. They have a great tip for casting and plenty of power in the midsection. What I really like about these blanks is how well they throw both light and heavy lures almost effortlessly.
Norm

Posted by: Junior Pearce (---.cspire.com)
Date: May 06, 2019 11:03PM

I agree with you 100%. I look forward to building the punch rod. See you some time this week and Norm.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: May 07, 2019 05:08PM

You need to try an CPB761HM . It’s a pretty nice flip stick!! I really like the moderate action

Date: May 07, 2019 08:52PM

Junior Pearce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The line seems to just have a flow through the guide train that I have never experienced. I will be building a few others using Point Blanks. I am bragging about the components .

Components ? You mean you're blown away with the blank right , i believe the NFC X Ray and Point Blank stuff is the most highly praised on the market these days . You bought an XF action blank and crisp fast actions tend to cast stuff extreme distances with just a flick of the wrist , just one of the many reasons i love fast action blanks.

Congratulations

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 11, 2019 07:02AM

I was fortunate to be one of the folks that got to build on some of the Point Blank prototypes. Yes there were a few growing pains, but once production blanks were introduced, Point Blank blanks are my go to rod for all in-shore and freshwater builds.
But the bottom line is my customers love them. Keep building Junior.!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster