I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building a boat rod
Posted by: Johnny Tan (207.189.24.---)
Date: April 29, 2019 05:57PM

I just bought a NFC Pelagic 704 blank. It is a 7 footer and rated 15-40 lbs. I am using it for fishing rock fish, ling cod and may be salmon. Pretty much a light duty boat rod and pairs with Shimano TLD 25/30 reel. The real seat I am going to use is size 24. Will it be overkilled for a 4/0 reel?

Also, I am planning to use the Fuji HB heavy duty guide size 25, 16 and 8 as the stripping guides for the rod. What size of running guides should I be using? I am thinking of making this a spiral wrap rod as well. Not sure Fuji HB will fit the spiral wrap spec.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building a boat rod
Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: April 30, 2019 02:21AM

There's a bit of a mismatch, though much of what you've chosen is really boiled down to preference. The blank seems fine, I would only use a 24 size seat if I needed to as a 20 or 22 would probably be just fine. Typically I try and match the seat relatively close to the blank, or just a little bigger to match the handle if I had to. Being an NFC, its probably narrower, and to use a size 24 seat you'll have to use thicker arbors. You probably wont need HB guides either, those are overkill in my opinion. MN or N will work just fine, size 20 stripper and 8 runners sound good.. Lastly, a 4/0 size reel is also pretty big for what you're fishing for. You really only need to have 300 yards of line with a drag that can fish 30# comfortably, which is a reel that is probably 1 or 2 sizes below a 4/0.

Again, just preference so don't let my opinions stop you from building to your hearts desire, this is just my two cents. Have fun with the build and good luck.

Nick

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 30, 2019 01:26PM

Johnny,
While I am unfamiliar with your chosen blank, I agree with Nick that the HB would be overkill. I have built two 20# and four 30# saltwater rods utilizing KWs, five of the six spiral-wrapped, all work very well. Additionally and unlike the HBs, the KWs now come with Fuji’s CC finish which is a big plus for saltwater use and cost a fraction of any brand titanium guides. The KWs are very strong and would be at home on a 50# rod.
As the diameter of reel seats increase, the size of the hoods can also increase. Make certain the feet of the reel actually need a size 24 seat to securely hold it without side play or wobble. A size 20 would most likely be a better choice as long as it fits the butt of the blank.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: April 30, 2019 01:56PM

Hi Nick and Mark,

Thank you for your advice. The butt of the NFC blank is under 0.7". You guys are right, size 24 real seat is a little big for this blank. I will go with either size 20 or 22.

Mark, it is a really good suggestion to use the KW guides. I have been using KW guides for all my casting rods. It will be fun to try KW guides on this blank with spiral-wrap.

I appreciate all your help!

Johnny

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2019 06:08PM

Johnny,
If you have not built a spiral wrapper rod before, be sure to use a very short guide foot type guide for the 2nd guide as you wrap the line around the rod. You are essentially only using this guide to keep the line from rubbing the blank. So, the shorter the guide foot to be able to essentially put the ring right on the blank is to your advantage. I did not suggest that you use a small ringed guide. Rather, just an appropriiate sized ring with a foot that puts the bottom of the ring very close to the blank.

Good luck

Date: April 30, 2019 06:34PM

Hi Roger,

Thank you for the advice. I never build a spiral wrapper rod before. This will be the first time. I will start with KW 20, then KW 16 (at 90 degree), 12 (at 180 degree) and 8 all the way. I will the do the static test and make sure no line between first and second stripper guides rubbing against the blank.

Johnny

Date: April 30, 2019 07:43PM

Johnny,
While your bumper spiral (0*, 90*, 180*) may assist getting the line the bottom of the rod sooner, consider a 0*, 60*, 120*, 180* instead. The 60* and 120* guides can be positioned so the line just misses (.062in - .125in) the blank. Nick mentioned previously the planned reel was larger than necessary and I agree, especially if you will be using braid. A smaller size reel diameter and width will also allow you to use a smaller reduction train such as 16, 8, … or even a 12, 8, … like three of the rods I mentioned earlier. They cast awesome but then, you won’t be casting anyway. Most bottom fish do not run like their upstairs neighbors, so 300yd of braid and mediocre drag capacity (20lb) will suffice.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: April 30, 2019 08:13PM

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I will try your method. I still have a lot learn regarding the spiral wrap.

Johnny

Date: April 30, 2019 11:10PM

Johnny,
Guide placement of a spiral- wrap really is not any harder than if the guides were on top. Simply use rubber bands or tape to put the guides on approximately where you think they should go, run a piece of bright colored thread through them with a tiny bit of weight hanging from the tip and taped to the top of your loaded spool, then adjust the guides to allow the thread to follow the straightest path possible. Tom ran an article in RodMaker (v-21, I-5) describing a method for setting up a spiral-wrap and you can also find information using the search function here. Obviously, the larger the majority of guides on the bottom will enhance the effect of any spiral system. The longer the rod, the better the effect will be. With a rod of only 7ft. consider getting the line to the bottom as soon as possible even if scrunching-up the reduction and choke guides a tad is required.

Mark Talmo

Date: May 01, 2019 12:26AM

Hi Mark,

I like your approach using bright colored thread or string running through the guides to get the possible straightest line. Right now, I don't have a lot fo different size of guides on hand to test it, but I plan to get some in the next few weeks. Also, I will check out article on spiral-wrap.

Your guys are very helpful and I will let you know if I run into any issue.

Thanks!

Johnny

Date: May 01, 2019 12:52AM

Johnny,
Most on this site, many much more experienced than me, enjoy sharing experience and helping others. It is all made worthwhile when someone like you acknowledges and gives thanks. So, thanks for the thanks! Keep us all posted on your progress.

Mark Talmo

Date: May 01, 2019 01:33AM

Hi Mark,

I will post my progress in a few weeks. I still have a few surf, bass, fly blanks to build, and plenty questions to ask.

Thank you so much!

Johnny

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster