I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DuraGloss LS Supreme
Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: April 29, 2019 03:47PM

Hi. Been using LS Supreme finish for sometime now. I like the long open time but how do you keep it from "footballing"? The cohesion factor on this seems very high. I have wiped off all the excess leaving brush marks until it evens out. Next morning I see it has pulled the finish off showing the some threads as left after the UV coating dried. Not a big deal as I only build for myself and/or friends but after putting in the work I wish the finish looked good. May have to go back to FlexCoat.

Thank...Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DuraGloss LS Supreme
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 29, 2019 04:00PM

I tried this finish and did not care for it. Besides the footballing, it has a yellowish cast to it right from the git go. I use many U-40 products, just not this one.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2019 04:16PM

At what speed do you rotate the rod? Try a slower speed to reduce centrifugal force.
Norm

Date: April 29, 2019 04:20PM

My "dryer" rotates at 5 rpm.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 29, 2019 04:30PM

Kevin, i had this problem but it was a new CP that i was trying for the first time and i was using flex coat finish..i wiped the epoxy off and used the old CP (flex Coat) and had no problems..

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2019 04:31PM

Nope speeds not the the problem then. Try a different brand.
Norm

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.mci.googlefiber.net)
Date: April 29, 2019 06:36PM

I'm running Flex Coat for the CP and 9 RPM. Good to know I'm not the only one having issues with it.

Date: April 29, 2019 06:46PM

Never even used it on a rod. Did test wraps and gave it away. Made a post on this topic a few years ago.

Date: April 29, 2019 07:16PM

Kevin, be sure to let your CP dry at least overnight before applying epoxy finish..

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 29, 2019 07:21PM

What is the shelf life of rod-finish type epoxies? Does it vary with the heat or light where it is stored? I suspect the difference in chemical composition between rod-finish type epoxies is minute.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 29, 2019 09:45PM

No appreciable shelf life.

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: April 30, 2019 10:31AM

CP dried 24 hours before finish was applied.

Date: April 30, 2019 10:46AM

that,s something..i used ls supeme on flex coat cp many years ago, never had this problem..it can be a strange hobby at times..lol.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 01, 2019 01:09PM

I used LS Supreme Flex-Coat on a number of builds in the past and liked the results. Of course epoxies perform differently in different environments and with different mixing and different drying times, and sometimes "New and Improved" formulas are anything but.

Posted by: David Horvath (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: May 10, 2019 07:58PM

I recently tried this product for the first time and maybe I did something wrong, but I got some bubbles at the point behind the guides and blank, also the pretreated threads that I had used flex coat CP on bled. Wouldn’t have been an issue had it not been on a white blank. I will state this only the fourth rod I’ve assembled, so I’m pretty green at this. I’ll probably just go back to Pro Kote though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster