I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji kt - minima
Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2019 11:26AM

I have read a bit about guys finishing the kr guide train with minimas. on the 16h - 8h - 5.5m - 5kt guide train are the kts replaced if I wanted to replace the kt's with minima to reduce weight and cost am I correct in thinking I want the F frame minimas since they are the same height as the kts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji kt - minima
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2019 02:23PM

Yes you are correct.

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.sub-174-232-0.myvzw.com)
Date: April 27, 2019 02:35PM

Thanks Spencer

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2019 03:47PM

Weight savings are not in the runners but rather in the reduction guides. Just weighed five Minima 5Fs and five KT5s, they are almost identical in weight. So if you are looking to reduce weight in the tip section, moving over to Minima runners is not going to reduce the weight by very much if any. However, It will reduce the price, but if you want both lower cost and lower weight then use all Minimas. Otherwise just stick with the KTs so everything matches.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 27, 2019 11:25PM

Thank you, Norman. I assumed the ceramic-ringed KTs would be noticeably heavier than Minima F guides of the same size and at a position of the rod where it matters most. I, and probably Jim Ising, appreciate you enlightening us! I feel much better with my last UL build which employed Minima M reduction guides with KB and KT runners rather than Minima F guide runners which were out of stock at the time.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.sub-174-232-7.myvzw.com)
Date: April 30, 2019 09:26AM

Thanks Norman and Mark I was under the same assumption. Norman, do you happen to know what the minima f titanium frames weigh? The pac bay catalog doesn't list a different weight

Date: April 30, 2019 11:37AM

Anthony, I posted some of this information before, and if I remember correctly a complete set of Minima4 guides (3 reduction guides and 6 F4w runners) with the stainless frame and an appropriate size 20 M reduction train weighed a little over 4 gm and the same 20M set in the Titanium Ti black frame weighed approximately 3 gm. The size 16M set in stainless weighed approximately 3 gm, but I did not weight a 16M set with the titanium Ti black frame but I would expect it to be less than 3 grams. For comparison, a stainless Alconite Fuji KR set with a KL20H reduction train weighed over 6 grams. Did not weigh a titanium Torzite set, but assume they will be very light, but also very expensive.
Norm

Posted by: Jonathan Hotham (199.247.42.---)
Date: April 30, 2019 04:52PM

As long as I don't forget I can get you accurate weights on the Titaniums when I get home. I have a very accurate reloading scale.

Date: April 30, 2019 05:56PM

I have been lusting after one of those scales. I seem to be be weighing more and more stuff these day. Back when I started building nobody cared what things weighed. As long as you could lift it we were happy.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2019 06:15PM

Norman,
Satisfy your lust for under $20.

Plenty of choices of very inexpensive gram scales.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Jonathan Hotham (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2019 06:20PM

The scale I am using has a resolution of 0.1 grain and an accuracy rating of +/-0.1grain. I calibrated prior to measuring using two 50gram standard masses. Gently blowing on it from about a foot away registers over 20grains.

PacBay Minima weights

Titanium Minima M #16 guide = 1.37g/21.2gn
Titanium Minima M #8 guide = 0.46g/7.2gn
Titanium Minjma M #5 guide = 0.20g/3.1gn
Titanium Minima F #3 guide = 0.06g/0.9gn
Titanium Minima F #5 guide = 0.12g/1.9gn
Titanium Minima T (double foot) #6 guide = 0.27g/4.2gn

I don't have a large assortment of guides sitting around, but if I have them I don't mind weighing them.

Date: April 30, 2019 06:27PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been lusting after one of those scales. I
> seem to be be weighing more and more stuff these
> day. Back when I started building nobody cared
> what things weighed. As long as you could lift it
> we were happy.
> Norm

Sensitive scales can certainly be had at inexpensive prices. I would only recommend using such a scale for comparison sake, unless you also purchase some standard masses. However the same goes for expensive ones. You can calibrate anything within it's error range.

Date: April 30, 2019 06:30PM

Thanks Roger. They look look like a great deal. I have two scales one is digital and weighs to the nearest gram. The other is a very old scientific balance beam scale and weighs to 0.1 gm, it’s quite accurate but it’s an antique I think it is older than me, and that saying something.
Norm

Date: April 30, 2019 06:35PM

Just for fun, the #16 was un-prepared. After grinding the foot I am at 20.9gn originally 21.2, just thought I would add that if anyone was curious. That's 30% of one of #3 running guides.

Date: April 30, 2019 06:43PM

Jonathan, thanks. The titanium Minimas are nice and light a little under 3 gm. My old balance beam scale came with a set of calibration weights, only proble is I cannot find them. Part of the problem when you become an antique.
Norm

Date: April 30, 2019 06:50PM

Balance beams can be extremely precise. Technically most ultra sensitive scales are a balance beam to a high resultion sensor. Then instrumentation companies can also use one sensor for multiple scales with different measurement ranges.

Forgive my babbling, I am an instrumentation nerd.

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2019 08:14PM

This is great info. Thank you guys I appreciate the detailed response and discussion

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster