I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Musky rod guides???(casting)
Posted by: Chris Henry (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2019 05:52PM

Guy’s that are using running guides smaller than size 8, like 5.5,6 or 7’s, what are you using for a tip top?
I’m looking at building a 9 to 9’6” casting Musky rod and trying to determine my guide train. The blank I plan on using has a tip tube size of 8(3.2). It will be either an XH or XXH rates up to 2lbs and will most likely be running 85-100lb braid. I can’t find a tip top in 8(3.2) smaller than an 8.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Musky rod guides???(casting)
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2019 06:06PM

If you are going to use a shock leader, or steel leader your concern won' t be tip top size as much as passing the knot or whatever other connections you may have. On my white sturgeon rods for fish many times larger than you'll see and using 3 lb sinkers I see no real advantage to going real small on the guides considering the mass of the rod and weight you are throwing

Date: April 26, 2019 06:25PM

Flouro leader which won’t pass through guides at all.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2019 07:43PM

Chris,
Simplify, just use size 8 running guides and tip top.

Date: April 26, 2019 08:00PM

So for ten total guides you think 16-12-10-(6)8’s+tip top would be a good selection?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2019 09:46AM

I'd have at least 11 guides, 9 1/2 ft rod = 10 ft., 1 guide per foot of rod +1. Myself 12, if I don't use one it's an size 8, a popular size on many rods, or repairs. I'm not a fan of re-ordering and paying shipping twice for.the same rod. I reduce my guide sizes quicker than that, you'll not notice a performance advantage with your selection and size 8 guides are cheaper than a 12. So a 16, 10, than 8 to the tip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2019 10:03AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2019 11:31AM

Chris it's hard to find large tube small ring tops to accommodate musky rods. Roger and Spencer are both right on. I haven't found a noticeable difference in performance in any of my musky rods using size 8 to the tip. I never like the look of a tip top thats a bigger ring then my running guides so i typically use an 8 to the tip. When i run some of the smaller low profile reels i go with Spencers recommendation of 16-10-8 to the tip. When i build rods to be used with the Tranx 500 i prefer to use a 20 -16 -10 - 8 so i don't get a severe redirection of the line at the stripper guide with such a big reel. Order an extra guide so you dont have to order and pay shipping for one guide. it @#$%&. Once you do your static testing you may find out you need 1 more guide then you thought you needed.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 28, 2019 03:33PM

"Guy’s that are using running guides smaller than size 8, like 5.5,6 or 7’s, what are you using for a tip top"

I use size 5 runners on my eleven foot surf rods and both rods are also a size 8 tip . I eventually found titanium torzite tip tops in 3.2 mm with a 6 size torzite ring and thats what i use . The super heavy line and leaders you're using doesn't really fit a super lightweight guide train however and a tip top difference certainly won't be noticeable .

Only when every component chosen is carefully scrutinized for weight savings will the end product be worthwhile not just a change of a single component . A size 8 ring for the tip top is the smallest i would go with the lines leaders you plan on throwing .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 29, 2019 10:16AM

I had the same problem finding small guides for my shark rods, and I've just given up. I just use bigger tip-tops, and to be honest I can't feel any difference.

Posted by: Chris Henry (206.80.132.---)
Date: January 17, 2020 12:01PM

Anthony,
What Fuji guides do you typically use for musky builds? KW, MN, LN? Also, what tip top? I'm looking at building a 9' or 9'6" XXH which a Tranx will be mounted. Will KW's be high enough for a Tranx?
Thanks,
Chris

Date: January 17, 2020 01:03PM

Anthony,
What Fuji guides do you typically use for musky builds? KW, MN, LN? Also, what tip top? I'm looking at building a 9' or 9'6" XXH which a Tranx will be mounted. Will KW's be high enough for a Tranx?
Thanks,
Chris

Date: January 17, 2020 01:19PM

Anthony Holstein Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris it's hard to find large tube small ring tops
> to accommodate musky rods. Roger and Spencer are
> both right on. I haven't found a noticeable
> difference in performance in any of my musky rods
> using size 8 to the tip. I never like the look of
> a tip top thats a bigger ring then my running
> guides so i typically use an 8 to the tip. When i
> run some of the smaller low profile reels i go
> with Spencers recommendation of 16-10-8 to the
> tip. When i build rods to be used with the Tranx
> 500 i prefer to use a 20 -16 -10 - 8 so i don't
> get a severe redirection of the line at the
> stripper guide with such a big reel. Order an
> extra guide so you dont have to order and pay
> shipping for one guide. it @#$%&. Once you do
> your static testing you may find out you need 1
> more guide then you thought you needed.

Anthony,
What Fuji guides do you typically use for musky builds? KW, MN, LN? Also, what tip top? I'm looking at building a 9' or 9'6" XXH which a Tranx 500 will be mounted. Will KW's be high enough for a Tranx 500?
Thanks,
Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster