I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Messed up finish... Now what?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 28, 2019 01:13AM

When a builder applies epoxy finish onto wrapping thread he is creating a composite material - i.e. fabric and resin. Composites of any material get their strength by combining TWO materials. The combination of the fiber AND matrix (resin) provide characteristics superior to either of the materials utilized alone.

Would anyone here fly on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner if you knew that the wings were manufactured with an improperly proportioned resin mix???
I don't think one can estimate the degree of strength in an improperly mixed resin - but it's certainly not 100%.

Hey - if you are the "it's good enough" type of guy - put it in a warm place - if it sets-up to a nice hard glossy finish then use it as is.
But if it doesn't pass the fingernail test - redo it.

If it were me - it would drive me nuts thinking that maybe the wraps are not 100% of what they should be.

Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 28, 2019 09:09AM

If the finished product shows no weakness when tugging on the guides, the finish is dry and clear, then there is a good chance the problem has been fixed. Conjecture isn't enough to make me tear that rod apart if there is a good chance for a simple fix. A fix that has been recommended by multiple experienced builders on the forum. Different strokes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2019 09:10AM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 28, 2019 11:33AM

yeah - I am inclined to be a bit of a "structural" perfectionist.
I once ripped up a small section of my dining room sub-floor because it was eaten by termites. Was told by "experts" that it was unnecessary. I didn't care - it "bugged" me that it was not as structurally sound as the rest of the floor.

I am sure that I am not alone out there.
Herb

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 28, 2019 01:34PM

if the rod is for me, i,m more willing to play with it but for a customer, it,s back to square one and get it right..

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 28, 2019 06:10PM

Herb, you will know if it cures by whether or not you can move the guides without using inordinately high force. I know it's a lot about judgment by experienced builders, but we all know how hard it is to move guides properly installed. If the top coat is cured but the under coat is not, the guides will still be attached with "jelly" and we should be able to detect it.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 29, 2019 01:36AM

Herb,
You are correct with your statements in your first paragraph; thread wraps + thread finish = a composite laminate structure. However, there were two key facts which were not recognized and/or acknowledged; 1. The ultimate strength of a composite structure is over 95% due to the fabric employed while the matrix only keeps the fibers aligned from moving. Yes both are required but the overall strength comes from the fabric! 2. While strengthened, “nano” epoxies are an improvement to achieve an additional few percent gain in structural performance, said gain is certainly worth it for your example of a Boeing 787 but hardly for rodbuilders. Let’s compare apples with apples. Furthermore, thread wrap epoxy is specifically designed and formulated to flex to a large degree whereas structural epoxies are (basically) not.
If size A wrapping thread has a (conservative) breaking strength of 2lb, a typical wrap of 40 rotations will produce a holding power or 80lb for the guide = overkill. All that is actually required is a means to keep the thread ends from coming out from under the locking overwraps. The addition of thread finish accomplishes securing the tag ends, affords protection from nicks, supplies UV protection for the thread and makes our threadwork look great. And, yes, it aligns and secures the thread to produce an extremely secure mounting laminate structure for the guides. It should be of no wonder why the system is so universally accepted and utilized.
As long as Brett’s initial missed-mixed coat of thread finish cures to a tack-free state, a second properly mixed coat will be more than adequate. He is building a fishing rod, not a commercial aircraft!
Speaking of Brett, I have not seen any posts other than his original.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 30, 2019 12:48PM

Brett,
Are you still there? Do you have any comments to those who have taken the time to try helping you?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Brett Mahoney (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2019 07:19PM

I went ahead and put another coat on the top of the tacky finish, it went on and looks good but I am skeptical of the strength of the finished product compared to the other rods. Since these were personal rods I decided to just throw a second coat over the top rather than redo the entire rod as I was curious how it would turn out and compare the it to the identical rods I built at the same time. I will keep everyone updated if I notice a lack of durability compared to the others.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster