I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GBS Reel seat measurement
Posted by: Craig Clements (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: April 25, 2019 09:43AM

Hello,

I was hoping someone would have one of the PAC Bay GBS reel seat in 18mm on hand? I’m looking for the outside diameter measurement of the fore grip dide of the seat, as well as the thickness of the plastic. I’m wanting to order a aluminum winding check to use instead of a foregrop. Too large and I’ll end up with a lip, too small and there will be a gap. I know there’s was I could rig it, but would prefer a simpler solution if I can find a check that will work.

Obviously The first thing I did was email PacBay, but they have not responded.

Thanks,

Craig Clements

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GBS Reel seat measurement
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.30.---)
Date: April 25, 2019 10:45AM

I saw this post and a big 20.8 mm flashed in my mind. All the graphite 18 mm reel searts will be the same. Looking under hosels may give you better options.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2019 10:52AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Craig Clements (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: April 25, 2019 02:31PM

Actually that’s just about what I had in mind! I figured instead of a short nun of a foregrip and a winding check transition, why not try just (albeit larger) the winding check. Hopefully not that big, but I don’t know until I find out the measurement. It’s a tough seat to find, as most carry the 16mm and not the 18mm. But I have carpal tunnel syndrome, and a larger grip is more tolerable to me over a days fishing.

Craig

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 25, 2019 04:26PM

Are you needing a reel seat?
If you are looking for sz 18 GBS reel seats, we have some.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Craig Clements (47.197.110.---)
Date: April 25, 2019 07:10PM

Thanks Ron,

Yes, I’ll likely be needing if I can figure out everything else. Could you measure the foregrip ends diameter? The part with the finger hole that would butt up against a foregrip. As for the seat I’d be ordering the 18mm .433 seat

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 25, 2019 08:09PM

The OD of the GBS18 is about .840.
A Batson Black Rubber Hozel in sz 06, 07, 08 butts right up to it.
Don't know about a metal winding check, at a quick check ours are a littl too mall on the OD.
We do have the reel seat and Hozels in stock.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 25, 2019 08:42PM

Fuji WCS checks snap into the foregrip end of the GBS, if that's of any help.

Posted by: Craig Clements (47.197.110.---)
Date: April 25, 2019 09:38PM

Lynn,

Thanks, that would be ideal! Does it snap into the 18mm version seat? (I’m not sure if the end is different from the 16mm)

Thanks for all the help folks, still new to this!

Craig

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2019 10:17PM

The WCS checks are made to fit size 16 and 17 reel seats, none for size 18. Could try a size 17 reels seat if you want to go that route.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster