I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Reel Clamp
Posted by: Richard Vann (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2019 04:04PM

Hi Guys,

So i built a deep drop rod for a buddy at work and his Daiwa tanacom 1000 reel clamp doesnt fit the #4 AFTCO bent butt i put on the rod. I used a Calstar blank that did not fit a #2 bent butt so i had to use the #4. It seems the #4 is too wide for the reel clamp to fit properly. Are there any solutions to this or is it ok for him to just not use the reel clamp.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Clamp
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2019 01:38AM

Richard,
Electrical tape works perfectly fine to hold a reel to a rod.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 24, 2019 09:50AM

Let me get this straight Roger. Guys spends hard earned money on a custom deep drop rod and you will tell him to use electrical tape to attach the reel ?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 24, 2019 10:54AM

even better than electrical tape by far is gorilla reenforced extra thick tape..one wrap on each foot is all you need..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2019 11:04AM

The seat itself should fit the reel but the clamp will not. Telling him not to use the clamp may be fine - it may be unnecessary in his instance (I don't know what line he uses and how much force he's going to put on that outfit) but I don't think that's a good route to take after someone has spent money on a custom rod.

It may be possible to widen the reel foot clamp openings so that the bolts will fit around the #4 butt. You'd also have to do the same to the clamp, of course.

This is one of those lessons that each custom rod builder has to learn along the way - always find out what reel your client is going to be using and make sure it's compatible with what you're building.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 24, 2019 11:17AM

Tape is lighter than a reel seat, tape is as strong as a conventional reel seat, different reels can mounted at different points along the handle using tape, and surf casters have been using tape to affix reels to rods for a long time. Different anglers and different rod builders have different priorities.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2019 11:41AM

The OP is talking about a reel clamp - not the reel feet. And I doubt anyone in deep drop fishing situation is going to be taping their reel to the rod - the OP isn't talking about bass fishing here.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 24, 2019 11:53AM

TAPE ? CLAMP ? it all depends on the size of fish BIG ? small ? both will work BUT ? FISH ???

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Grant Darby (63.225.166.---)
Date: April 24, 2019 01:43PM

The reel weighs more than 3 pounds for heavens sake. I'd try for an aftermarket clamp. Big fish, heavy reel....tape??

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2019 03:00PM

Richard,
If you don't find any other solution, just take the rod and reel to a good machine shop and have them make you a custom fitted clamp from stainless steel.

Custom rod, custom reel, custom clamp.

Good luck

Date: April 24, 2019 03:43PM

This deep drop rod will likely be paired with an electric-powered reel/winch - pretty much a necessity for deep-drop, I believe. The issue here is not the ability of modern adhesive tapes to secure the reel to the rod, but adherence (!) to traditional fishing tackle design and components.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2019 05:28PM

Hello Richard.

Is the problem that the studs are not wide enough or is the plate not deep enough?

If the plate is the problem you can do as Roger say's, but I would use an aluminum block machined down to fit.

If it is the width of the studs you can try to elongate the mount stud holes on the reel.

Hope that helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 24, 2019 08:08PM

The Penn 33-116 reel clamp is ;nearly 2.5 in. center to center across the clamp holes.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 24, 2019 08:13PM

Phil,
There is absolutely nothing remotely traditional about an electric reel!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2019 12:49AM

Looks like the reel and clamp will work best on 25 to 34 mm diameter reel seats.

Date: April 25, 2019 10:36AM

Mark: The use of tape will make the outfit look less like an automatic fish-winch.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2019 05:50PM

I once split a tomato soup can down the side and used it to patch a hole in my exhaust pipe ........ I used some of that fiberglass tape ....... left the label on the can and everything.

Good thing it didn't last very long, because every time I'd drive the car, I'd start craving a grilled cheese sandwich.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 25, 2019 11:37PM

Phil,
While new to me, the term “fish wench” is extremely appropriate and suggests you and I might still be on the same page.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 26, 2019 12:03AM

David, I liked that, we had tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich for diner.

Date: April 26, 2019 09:57AM

Mark: fish "winch" - not "wench" I'm a married man!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster