I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

REEL SEAT ATTACHED TO FIGHTING BUTT
Posted by: Mark Emaus (---.cust.exede.net)
Date: April 22, 2019 09:16PM

I have an Alps RA801L2TR-SG reel seat. I am wondering what you guys do to attach next to fighting butt. I have recessed the front into the cork but where the threads are in the back, I am in a quandary. I have a ring with the seat kit, but it would be loose on the blank. So do you just epoxy the seat up to the butt after manders and put the ring in beforehand and glue it at on with the seat at one time? I can see getting epoxy on the threads when squeezing it all together. Seems like the only way to do it. Does anyone have some input?

thanks

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: REEL SEAT ATTACHED TO FIGHTING BUTT
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 23, 2019 08:09AM

I have always left about an inch of blank outside the rear of the seat and glued the fighting butt to the blank. No problems. I believe the ring is designed to provide a nice transition between the seat and the cork of the fighting butt, glued in place at junction. Yes, you want to minimize epoxy getting to the threads, but alcohol will take it off well if you get it before it sets. When I get it on the threads it takes many wipes with a wet paper towel, using my thumbnail pushing the wet towel into the threads, to get it off. Do not let it harden there.

How much you have the blank go inside the butt will depend on the length of the butt. Mine have been short butts.

You may get better advice from the fly rod experts. Many are on the forum and very helpful.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: April 23, 2019 09:17AM

I have used those seats before and it's pretty simple. In fact, I've used 2 of those in the last month building two 9 weights. Don't use too much glue! In fact, use a gel like Rod Bond which stays put and makes less mess.

I assume you have shimmed and reamed the seat for a good fit. The trim ring fits into a small recess at the base of the threads. So with your epoxy glue in place on the blank, install the seat with the trim ring in place. There is usually enough excess epoxy to hold down the trim ring, then clean up any excess from the cork. You do need to be very careful to keep the epoxy out of the threads. Often a tiny bit will ooze out around the trim ring and onto the butt cork. Just clean that up quickly with alcohol.

You can also tape off the threads with teflon plumbers tape, and remove immediately it you're worried about getting glue everywhere. I sometimes do that if I'm really paranoid, but generally I just go for it. The trick is not to use liquid epoxy, but to use a gel epoxy.

Don't sweat this, it will go well.

Drew

Date: April 23, 2019 09:27AM

Thank you Mike and Drew!

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2019 05:17PM

I tape my threads off with regular old blue painters masking tape. Just use your thumb nail to get it nice and tight against the threads. It works great. I gotta say I am liking the teflon tape idea. May try that on my next build.

Date: April 24, 2019 05:47PM

I like the teflon tape also!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster