I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix equivalents?
Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.sub-174-197-19.myvzw.com)
Date: April 22, 2019 02:24PM

My dad taught me to build rods when I was 12 in the early 80’s. I generally build 3-4 a year for myself and a few select others. I’d guess that for over 25 of those years 100% of my rods have been on St. Croix blanks. I would say I have had some loyalty with them being a WI company and as far as I am concerned, always had very good quality. I feel it’s time for me to explore new avenues as they have.

Virtually all of my rods are light to medium spinning rods for panfish, walleyes and occasional salmon on light tackle. I really prefer to go with blanks made in the US and won’t even consider chinese made blanks. A typical average blank cost of $75-150 is good, perhaps over on occasion. I’m not looking for any specific blank at the moment but rather just manufacturers to explore. Years ago I built on Loomis blanks and liked them but have read here that NFC takes months from time of order to get a blank. That doesn’t really excite me if true.

Thanks for any recommendations. If you prefer to email me, that’s good as well.
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix equivalents?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2019 02:38PM

Scott,
It is my understanding that the Batson - Rainshadow Eternity line of blanks are now being made by NFC in the US.

I just finished a build of one of the Eternity and I have to conclude that it is one of the nicest rods that have ever come out of the shop based on the blank alone.

Give them a try. [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

But, I will also say that their other blanks are still very excllent blanks. In particular the Immortal walleye blanks have caught many many walleyes for my walleye fishing clients.

Good luck

Posted by: Rodgeeks Rod Blanks (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2019 02:58PM

If you still like St. Croix blanks but want to explore more color options, check out our RODgeeks blanks. Same designs, materials, and tooling as St. Croix, just made in their Mexico facility (and a lower price because you're buying directly from the manufacturer).

Here's a blog explaining the relationship: [rodgeeks.com]

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 22, 2019 03:09PM

I have been a St.Croix diehard for years but was talked into trying a few other blanks from other manufacturers including the Rainshadow "Immortal" and i didn't care for it at all but i'm in the minority . I have been impressed with a few older CTS blanks and ordered some of those that i'm very happy with . The Eternity is on the same level as St. Croixs SCV and is built in the USA the Immortal is not.

I also have a few Rodgeeks blanks and love them , they're indeed St. Croix through and through just cheaper with more color options , the unpainted natural graphite blanks are amazing .

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 22, 2019 05:08PM

Another vote for Rodgeeks if you like St Croix's.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 22, 2019 06:50PM

Hi Scott,

Mud Hole Custom Tackle purchased the remaining inventory stock of St. Croix blanks from St. Croix, so we do have many St. Croix blanks to select from, follow the link below.
[www.mudhole.com]

Second, we went through the hundreds of St. Croix blank part numbers (SC1 through SCV) and matched them up best we could with either a CRB or MHX blank. Now, we all realize that when comparing blanks nothing is an "exact" match between vendors - but our goal was to provide an alternative for those who liked a particular St. Croix model - and wanted to find a suitable replacement.

To that end, we have published the following reference sheet:
[www.mudhole.com]

If you do not see a model, or have any questions finding a replacement, please feel free to contact one of our customer service reps at 407-447-7637. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks in advance and have a great week!

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 22, 2019 08:08PM

Rodgeeks guys, Billy, check out the crooked tip post below. You may be able to provide some input. Thanks, Lynn

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 23, 2019 08:28PM

Kudos to Rodgeeks regarding my above post.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.sub-174-197-19.myvzw.com)
Date: April 24, 2019 06:24AM

I appreciate the responses fellas!

How about Phenix blanks?

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: April 24, 2019 08:21AM

Fantastic blanks! They have different levels just as croix does. They tend to slightly over rate power IMO but their K2’s are out of this world in regards to sensitivity IMO. Followed only by XRay from Northfork and then HM from them also (Batson Eternity 2 also). Look into CTS as well they have some really nice stuff and certainly don’t forget about Lamiglas

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 24, 2019 08:47AM

Does Rodgeeks blank C470MLF incorporate, St. Croix's exclusive Integrated Poly Curve¨?? .

Posted by: Rodgeeks Rod Blanks (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2019 09:13AM

Hi Jay,

All of our Carbon 4 blanks, including the C470MLF, have the Integrated Poly Curve technology from St. Croix.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2019 11:44AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scott,
> It is my understanding that the Batson -
> Rainshadow Eternity line of blanks are now being
> made by NFC in the US.
>
> I just finished a build of one of the Eternity and
> I have to conclude that it is one of the nicest
> rods that have ever come out of the shop based on
> the blank alone.
>
> Give them a try.
> [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
> d-blanks/
>
> But, I will also say that their other blanks are
> still very excllent blanks. In particular the
> Immortal walleye blanks have caught many many
> walleyes for my walleye fishing clients.
>
> Good luck

Scott,

DITTO on Roger's comment. The Eternity blanks are out standing and they are made in the USA by: (I've heard NFC). Give Upmost a call. If Carol doesn't have the blank you want in her shop, Upmost is just around the corner from Batson enterprises and they only charge direct costs on the shipping. I live in So. Cal and have received blank orders from Upmost in as soon as 3 days! Real Good people!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (104.193.28.---)
Date: April 25, 2019 12:49PM

Jay Dubay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does Rodgeeks blank C470MLF incorporate, St.
> Croix's exclusive Integrated Poly Curve¨?? .

My understanding is the mandrels are the same, the designer Jason Brunner is the same, SCIV materials used on the carbon 4's are the same, so I would imagine the Poly Curve would be used the same as the St Croix blanks. Main difference is the place of manufacture, I have to say they carbon 2's are much like the premiers, mojo's ect, but don't have the feeling of the carbon4's. If you are looking for a rod equivalent to the SCIII, Avids, Eycons, SCIV's then you would want to look at the carbon 4's.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 25, 2019 10:00PM

" I have to say the carbon 2's are much like the premiers, mojo's ect, "

Makes sense since they're made out of the exact same SC II material. People shouldn't confuse St. Croixs Fresnillo Mexico factory with rod blank factories oversee's , Croixs Mexico based factory is an identical replica of their Park Falls Wisconsin factory with the exact same machinery and proprietary equipment.

St. Croix chose Mexico instead of China based on it's ability to have much better oversight & quality control than they would have had if based in China so while certain blanks are built outside the USA i don't view it the same as having things built halfway across the world. The Fresnillo factory is truly world class .

Posted by: Ever Kipp (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 01:22PM

Just going to add more praise for RodGeeks. I've built a MH bass rod and an UL trout rod on their blanks and I've been very impressed by both the sensitivity and the quality of the finishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster