I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pour foam for carbon fiber grips
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 07:21PM

I have made a Mold out of Silicone to cast my own foam cores for carbon fiber grips. My 1st attempts at this are definitely not acceptable. I will be picking up a paint mixer tomorrow to try it again. I had large air bubbles in the foam when I cut it open (for inspection) as well as resin visible instead of the cream colored foam. I attribute this to not being properly mixed. I will fix that issue tomorrow. However, I was expecting the foam to be - shall I say "tighter" and similar to the CFX foam cores that I have purchased. Has anyone that makes these cores themselves found a material that resembles the CFX cores?
The material I just tried was Alumilite 610 - 6 lb density.

Jon Hood

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 07:31PM by Jon Hood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pour foam for carbon fiber grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2019 09:42PM

The original article on the technique specified US Composites 8lb density foam. It seems to work well under a wide variety of conditions.

Air bubbles and voids can also be the result of over-mixing which tends to create bubbles.

Captive molds may not release bubbles as well as open type container-molds as specified in the original article.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 20, 2019 10:17PM

I responded to a similar post a few weeks ago. I do not see the point of going through the hassle, mess and time of casting a foam core to eventually be skinned with CF or other fabric! Unless the mold is absolutely perfect and of a simple, straight taper, sanding will be required anyway. Why not eliminate the hassle, mess and time required to cast the core and simply start with a foam block specifically designed for composite sandwich construction? Divinycell is available from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty in different densities, thicknesses and sheet sizes. Shaping and sanding is ultra-easy and quick. Even their 3lb/cu ft sheets are probably more dent-resistant than home-made 6lb/ cu ft pour foams! You will find the cost per grip will be less than $3.00 each. Make your life easy and check it out.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 03:01AM

The foam in the CFX grips was explained to me, without telling me exactly what it was, as a foam made in a nitrogen rich environment to reduce the chance of bubbles. It produces a foam according to them that is as tough as approximately 18 lb foam with a weight of around 6 lb foam.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 07:51AM

hi Spencer..so instead of 80% nitrogen rich bubbles they are 100% nitrogen rich bubbles..lol.

Date: April 21, 2019 07:57AM

Tom,
I have ordered (Rod maker)10-6 and 11-1 (have already received - waiting on the prior) this issue so I will be better educated with this foam core technique soon.
As far as my mold - I have air vents to release the air as much as possible, and have read that applying back pressure to the foam will actually reduce air bubbles. I will update this post when I cast a few today.

Spencer,
Thanks for the information - now I won't be wondering why the @#$%& my foam cores are different than the ones we buy!

Mark,
Yes, I seem to remember you responding to my post a few weeks ago. I am sure what you are talking about will work and may be the easiest, greatest way to do what I am doing. I will definitely look into it. But for now - I am interested in forming and casting the cores. The first ones I make will be just straight cylinders -1.25" dia x 15" long and will have to be shaped. However, if I am satisfied with my results, I will make molds that are already shaped and will only need light sanding to remove the skin. So, while this may seem to be a hassle to you - it is not to me and I will continue to learn and experiment with this until I am successful or decide to give it up.
I guess I could make my life REAL easy as you say and just go buy a fishing rod from a tackle store, but whats the freaking fun in that !!!

Jon Hood

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2019 08:07AM

Temperature also plays a role. My cores come out better in warmer rather than cooler temps. There is a bit of an experimentation process to dial in on what works best for you.

Date: April 21, 2019 08:17AM

Yes, I read that as well. I am going to heat my silicone mold in the oven prior to casting the next core.

Jon Hood

Date: April 21, 2019 03:06PM

As I stated above - I am back to report.

I purchased small paint mixer and adjusted the fins so it would fit all the way to the bottom of a plastic SOLO cup. I mixed full speed (approximately 1700 rpm) for 20 seconds, then immediately poured it in the bottom half of my mold, put the mandrel in place, set the top of the mold and clamped it in place.

Prior to pouring, I warmed the silicone mold to 110 F - 125 F, and put the bottles of liquid in hot tap water for about 20 min. The difference in the appearance and overall structure of the foam core is unbelievable!
The heating process was enough to continue casting the cores without reheating as it was heated again every time I cast another core from the exothermic reaction of the material. The cores are 1 5/16" diameter and 15" long. They require 1.25 oz of Part A and 1.25 oz of part B. Hope this info is helpful to anyone just trying this or thinking about it.

Jon Hood

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: April 22, 2019 04:51AM

Not sure if this applies to foam.. But with alumilite 2 part acrylic epoxy, the kind for turning on a lathe.. To get that crystal clear, no bubbles finish you have to place the cast in a vacuum chamber... I sae a video once where they did a side by side with a pressue chamber vs a vacuum chamber to see which worked better... Its surprising the ammount of bubbles that get forced to the surface.. Looks like a pot boiling over until you open the valve back up.. The vacuum chamber works better by the way... Lol

Again, this is for doing acryloc pours, not foam.. But if the goal is to get a closed cell product, i dont see why this wouldnt apply.. Worth a shot i would say

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (104.193.28.---)
Date: April 25, 2019 12:54PM

Anthony Unger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure if this applies to foam.. But with
> alumilite 2 part acrylic epoxy, the kind for
> turning on a lathe.. To get that crystal clear, no
> bubbles finish you have to place the cast in a
> vacuum chamber... I sae a video once where they
> did a side by side with a pressue chamber vs a
> vacuum chamber to see which worked better... Its
> surprising the ammount of bubbles that get forced
> to the surface.. Looks like a pot boiling over
> until you open the valve back up.. The vacuum
> chamber works better by the way... Lol
>
> Again, this is for doing acryloc pours, not foam..
> But if the goal is to get a closed cell product, i
> dont see why this wouldnt apply.. Worth a shot i
> would say

I wouldn't pour foam and put it into a pressure pot, the point of applying pressure is to reduce the size of the bubbles in the casting. With foam you want the bubbles to reduce weight and for structure, adding pressure would defeat that goal.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.sub-174-228-142.myvzw.com)
Date: April 25, 2019 02:30PM

Vacuum wouldn’t work any way - it grows in seconds - not minutes - you would never have enough time to get it in the mold.

Jon Hood

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: April 25, 2019 02:31PM

See that... Learn something everyday

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster