I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Crooked Tip
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 21, 2019 08:53PM

From an aesthetical or customer-pleasing view, Norman and others are certainly correct = belly down. I have even read Tom K. stating it makes for a more stable-casting rod. All belly-down beliefs are understood and I will certainly not say they are incorrect. That being said, I still prefer to build belly-up to provide a tick more” oomph” in the cast and when explained to my customers, most agree and have me build the rod that way. It is about education of Form-Follows-Function. Remember, the fish are always 5ft farther than we can cast! I can always employ ANGLING to adjust the dead-lift of a rod but cannot eek any more casting oomph without the belly positioned up, even if that eek only affords 4ft farther casts. But then, that is just me, again agreeing with Norman.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 08:59PM

Sorry Rick i was away from the computer at a dinner gathering for the Holiday so just saw your question , Norm hit the mark though , you want to build it so the bend toward the end of the rod is least noticeable when the angler is glancing down the rod from the butt end , that usually equates to the tip being in the "Up" position.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2019 10:25AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always build on the straightest axis with the
> tip pointing up. Gravity and the guides with cause
> the blank to straighten. Not only does this make
> the rod look better, but also increases the dead
> lift power of the rod. I just don’t like having
> the tip veering off to one side or the other, nor
> having a big bend in the rod if built with the tip
> pointing down. But that just my opinion.
> Norm

More than a few commercial rod operations do the same thing, for the same reason.

Posted by: Rick Sankey (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: April 23, 2019 04:34PM

Well I sent pictures and a video of the crooked blanks. Talked with Mike at RODgeeks and he is sending me two replacement blanks. No hassles. Agreed they where not normal.
I just wanted to let you all know how I came out. I did learn a few things that I will remember from now on.
Thanks for all of the input.
Rick

RODgeeks
That's what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 23, 2019 07:17PM

Wow , that is customer service well above and beyond the norm , now if i called with the same issue they would say " You cut it you own it " but i live Murphy's Law so thats to be expected . Anyway very happy for you and mad props to RodGeeks .

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 23, 2019 08:26PM

Agree with Herb, and expected issues due to having cut it. That being said, cutting it didn't make the tip crooked! And no useless back and forth shipping nonsense a big plus in my book. Rodgeeks you make me proud. Now Rick, about those crooked blanks.....

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster