I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Crooked Tip
Posted by: Rick Sankey (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 04:30PM

I have a 7' RODgeeks C2 L-F cut down to a 6'6". Spine is found. Cork handle reamed and ready to glue on and I eyed down it on my test fit before actually gluing it and the blank has a very noticeable bend in it about 12" from the tip. If I where to glue the handle and put the guides on in this location it would be very noticeable. Any suggestions as to how to resolve this. I have another blank but has the same bend in it.
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crooked Tip
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 05:05PM

The general consensus around here is that the spine is of no importance. I always build so the bend goes up.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 05:06PM

All blanks can have some bend, fhe graphite is rolled under pressure, some around 250 lbs on a piece of thin steel than baked in an oven,.Used to be the bare blanks sold were the straightest ones because the bend would be most noticable. install your components with the bend pointing up, that way when you look down it you'll not notice it, the weight of the components you install will help take some bend out due of good old gravity.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 05:14PM

All blanks can have some bend, fhe graphite is rolled under pressure, some around 250 lbs on a piece of thin steel than baked in an oven,.Used to be the bare blanks sold were the straightest ones because the bend would be most noticable. install your components with the bend pointing up, that way when you look down it you'll not notice it, the weight of the components you install will help take some bend out due of good old gravity.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 05:16PM

If the bend seems too big to live with I suggest you measure it by rotating the blanks on a table, measuring the total sweep of the tip when rotated, and contact Rodgeeks. OOPS! Just noticed you cut it down. I believe it's yours to deal with since it was altered. Previous posts are good advice for doing that. If you have one not cut, do as I recommended.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 05:34PM

that,s the first thing to do when your new blank comes in like Michael said..like a pool player looking for a straight cue..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2019 07:12PM

If you build on the spine you're more than apt to have a bend to one side or the other. The question is, are we talking about a bend or a sharp, sudden crook? What to do depends on what you have in this regard,

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 07:41PM

Pretty much like we discussed this morning.........I'd still call Rodgeeks

Tom

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 09:19PM

Yes,
Align the guides and reel seat with the bend in the tip. Folks suggest building with the bend pointed up on the correct thory that this lets the rod have more power.

However, I will always build with the bend going down at the tip if there is a bend. I do it, because the blank is plenty strong, whether the bend is up or down. i just find that the bend is less noticeable with the bend angled down at the tip.

Your choice.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 20, 2019 10:38PM

Yet again, I agree with Roger, however for a different reason. While the general consciences is to build a rod with the “belly-down” to achieve more fish-fighting power, I build mine “belly-up” to aid in further casting abilities. An Angler worthy of the title can employ angling while combating a large fish. However, we all know the fish are always 5ft further than we can cast!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: April 21, 2019 09:52AM

Hey Tom,
It is a crook before the tip not just a bend up at the tip. That is why I think it will be very noticeable to anyone I would build it for. I have sent an email to RODgeeks and will see what they say. To me I'd much rather get a blank that was straight than work with one like this.
Rick

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 12:12PM

Call Billy and get a new blank.
No reason to be unhappy with a crooked blank.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 21, 2019 12:22PM

A minor bend in a rod is visually displeasing but probably won't weaken the rod appreciably or degrade casting accuracy. There are no "sights" on a fish pole and we don't aim them. We all cast instinctively, compensating for the horizontal angle of the rod, the wind, and the weight being cast. Like a peashooter or an instinctive archer we mentally adjust and adapt to where the rod puts the hook.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 12:22PM

As Michael said since you cut the blank down you're probably out of luck , from now on when receiving a blank make absolutely certain that it's satisfactory before you do anything to it as RodGeeks and others will gladly take it back and exchange it.

Date: April 21, 2019 05:16PM

A lot of good input from all and I do appreciate it. I am on a learning curve and I do take all in and am learning as I go. I will say that all of the St Croix rods I built which where from UL to M I never had any with the crookedness in them I see in the RODgeeks. I have always found the spine and went from there. After seeing this I looked at the UL, ML, and M blanks and the only ones that don't have a bend at the end was the M blanks. All of the others have a slight curve to them not the same crooked ness the 7" L has. That being said if I don't worry about the spine and build it to adjust for the curve I will be OK but the crook in the 7' L-F I feel is not sell able. I had a couple guys look at it today and neither would be happy with it. I know I should have looked at it before cutting it but as I said before I have never had this with St Croix blanks and I just assumed these would be of the same standard. I did talk to Micheal at RODgeeks when I bought these telling him I would be cutting them down. He was good with that . Even sent me labels to go with the 6'6" blank I will make them into. I will talk to RODgeeks on Monday and if I have to eat the one I cut down so be it. I have no problem with that as it would be my mistake. But if i have to build them all from now on not going by the spine and building them by the curve - bend at the end I want to make sure I will not have any warranty problems.
Thanks Again Guys
Rick

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 05:27PM

Rick, please let us know what you find out.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 05:34PM

Most builders who sell a lot of rods these days build on the straightest axis because it takes away the concern about a customer not being pleased with and noticing a curve toward the tip of the rod . St. Croix builds all their rods on the straightest axis as does many other popular blank manufacturers so definitely consider doing that from now on to eliminate this annoyance .

Date: April 21, 2019 07:08PM

Herb,
Build it with the bend up or the bend down? What is your opinion on this?
Rick

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 07:27PM

I always build on the straightest axis with the tip pointing up. Gravity and the guides with cause the blank to straighten. Not only does this make the rod look better, but also increases the dead lift power of the rod. I just don’t like having the tip veering off to one side or the other, nor having a big bend in the rod if built with the tip pointing down. But that just my opinion.
Norm

Date: April 21, 2019 07:49PM

Thanks Norm
I love opinions and for me I need as many as I can get...
Rick

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster