I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Twist Thread Nightmare.
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 19, 2019 03:52PM

My guide wraps tend to be on the more intricate, involved side and generally of softer, muted colors. I rarely use metallic thread. However, when replacing a guide for a customer, I purchased a spool of ProWrap metallic twist thread to match the three-turn spiral inlay theme of the rod. The metallic twist was a nightmare to work with as jumped off the spool in coils and got caught on the tensioner. I ended up having to cut lengths and add the metallic twist thread by holding it between my fingers rather than feed it from the spool. Do all of you experience the same? What do you do to combat the problem?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Twist Thread Nightmare.
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 19, 2019 04:11PM

I have had similar experiences with that thread, which is the worst of the metallics I've tried. I use it only for trim and feed it like you did. I take care to keep it on the spool and tape it down after cutting it to the short 1-1/2 foot lengths I need/

I have not tried Fuji or Alps metallics yet, but I'd say they are worth a try. I like the Fuji polyester threads do I'll probably try their product next. Gudebrod was a little troublesome but nothing like the Pro Wrap.

Anyone with experience with Alps or Fuji metallics?

Posted by: David MacDonald (216.246.24.---)
Date: April 19, 2019 04:12PM

Had that problem yesterday, just used individual pieces for the inlays. I was surprised when it jumped off the spool.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: April 19, 2019 04:31PM

That's the reason I use Sulky metallic embroidery thread

Date: April 19, 2019 05:37PM

Thanks for the replies from Michael, David and Spencer. If I understand correctly, Sulky is a non-treated thread which requires CP. I typically avoid CP. While I would certainly not wish any wrapping difficulties on anyone, it is a bit comforting to learn I am not the only one experiencing difficulties with metallic twist thread. Hopefully others will add their experiences and solutions as well.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: April 19, 2019 07:26PM

I combatted the problem by throwing out all Pro Wrap metallic thread I owned. I still like Sulky the best.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2019 08:53PM

Michael, I have used the Alps metallic .... it too springs off the spool, but that isn't really a problem for me as I've always just cut off a length that will be more than what I need, and tape the the spool with the Pro Wrap metallic that I normally use.

I will say that I prefer the Alps metallic over the Pro Wrap for one specific reason. It doesn't seem to shed as easily when pulling it under thread wraps. I've only used it once thus far, so experience with it is limited to say the least, but I wrap with pretty high thread tension and am usually pulling my tags under 6-8 threads. I didn't have it shed its skin on any of the 13 trim bands I used the gray and it has a more subtle shimmer to it than the Pro Wrap metallic. Not a bright metallic. At least not the color I used. I'm going to try more of it, that's for sure.

I picked it up from Rougarou Rods, there on the left.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.pitbpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 09:27AM

Recently wrapped a rod with the Heitna metallic thread. It seemed to work just like any other thread. It was under tension the whole time so if there were problems as noted above, I didn't notice them.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 09:39AM

I use Robinson one color metallic thread and have never had any problems. It seems a little thinner than A and has a very round profile.Like Ed Kramer, I had a chance to do a couple of trim wraps with Hitena's new metallic and had no issues.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Date: April 20, 2019 01:24PM

Agreed, with tension on the thread I have no issues but as soon as it is cut, BOING!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Eric Oertle (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 02:51PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agreed, with tension on the thread I have no
> issues but as soon as it is cut, BOING!

I've learned to lock it in to the groove on the edge of the spool before cutting. Had to untangle too many springs in the past. Ordering some Silky this week to try.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 09:25PM

10-4 on Erics comment.

Any time that I am not using the thread, I pull the thread end on the spool into the groove on the edge of the spool. No need for tape.

Also, when taking thread off of the spool, I keep my fingers on the spool and the thread under tension for the length of thread that I will use for trim. Then, I pull the thread into the groove on the spool and with the thread captured in the groove on the side of the spool, cut off the thread length.

Good luck

Date: April 21, 2019 01:05AM

Thank you for all the replies. While my feeble attempt may not have precisely described my difficulties adequately, I will put that spool of metallic twist in a separate section labeled “Add $50.00 to the build!!! Joking (but not really) aside, metallic twist thread seems as though to be problematic to many other than myself. Maybe it is more prone or inherent to certain brands. None the less, I will avoid it like the plague until I grow up.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 01:26AM

I have not really had any problems with any metallic thread, including ProWrap. I wrap by hand, I move the rod rather than me, and apply tension to the thread rather than the spool. I use metallic thread only for trim and inlays, and like the effect. I know I wrap differently then most rod builders, but that is just me.
Norm

Posted by: Rick Sankey (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 07:14PM

Hey Mark,
I love Metallic thread and I will always pull off a bunch and run it thru my fingers and spool it back on the spool before using it. Will solve your problem.
Rick

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: April 22, 2019 12:33AM

Pro wrap metallic is tough.. As mentioned, slipping it into the groove works best from a wrapper, i usually use it in a bodkin, the weight of the spool is enough to keep it from uncoiling, plus you can add and drop it with ease.. You can jse the bodkin as a psudo tentioner too, let the spool rest off the edge of the table.. Or let the tip rest on the blank and spin.. I prefer to keep it in hand.. Caution on the bodkin, dont use a cheap one.. It can delaminate the metallic on you.. Cutting pieces for inlays is truly the best solution though.... I will add this too.. The prowrap premium metallic is nice to work with.. Reminds me of hitena stretch wrap a bit.. Its just weird to have a stretchy metallic...

Date: April 23, 2019 12:41AM

Thanks to all. Maybe I 'll try an extra beer before going to bed to subdue the nightmares.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-12.myvzw.com)
Date: April 25, 2019 06:31PM

Just tied a rod up, forgot how that metallic acts... What a mess.. Just made me think of you lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster