I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide train rec’s for a walleye jigging spinning rod
Posted by: Chris Henry (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2019 07:51AM

I’m look at building a 7’ to 7’3” walleye jigging spinning rod in M-F. Will only be throwing jigs from 3/8-5/8oz. I’m looking for recommendations on a guide train for this type of rod. Line will be 15lb braid with a 6-8lb flouro leader with an FG knot. For my drop shot rods I’m using the Fuji K concept guides, 16H, 8H, 5.5L or M, 4.5KB, four 4.5KT runners and a 4.5LG micro tip top. Should I use this same set up or is something better for light jig rods? Thanks much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide train rec’s for a walleye jigging spinning rod
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 19, 2019 08:10AM

Casting is not a big priority with either of these rods, and if you like one you will like the other built with the same guide train. However, since the weight difference between the set starting with the 16 and the set starting with the 20 is so small I usually use the 20-10-5.5M so if I decide to use a heavier line, it will handle heavier line better. I like the choice of 4.5 runners. I build all my spinning rods with them now. The 20-10-5.5M set makes great rods with a little more versatility than the 16-8-5.5M.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 19, 2019 09:52AM

I agree with Micheal, the size 20H based reduction train does give you a little more versatility, especially on longer rods with reels larger than a1000 size. However, if you are using a 1000 size reel, I prefer the 16H based reduction train. Both will work exceptionally well.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: April 19, 2019 10:13AM

Almost a decade ago there was an extended discussion about micro guide systems when we were just trying to find our and the guides limitations. I believe there wer 6 or seven volumes, Volume 3 I believe was exclusively spinning rods. Bob McKamey's son Hunter built a rod with a first guide sized with a high frame 10 that easily out cast an identical standard build using a Shimano 2500 reel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2019 10:14AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (104.193.28.---)
Date: April 19, 2019 02:31PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Almost a decade ago there was an extended
> discussion about micro guide systems when we were
> just trying to find our and the guides
> limitations. I believe there wer 6 or seven
> volumes, Volume 3 I believe was exclusively
> spinning rods. Bob McKamey's son Hunter built a
> rod with a first guide sized with a high frame 10
> that easily out cast an identical standard build
> using a Shimano 2500 reel.

I was going to say the same thing, I have used the older Alps guides that were a higher frame 10's and 12's and found they cast better than a 20 or 25 for the stripper guide.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: April 19, 2019 04:18PM

Original work was done by Pat Vinzant, you don't see him much online. He specializes on spinning rods I'm told. My rods with similar layout using 10 lb braid and long 8 lb fluoro top shot shoots right through my 3 mm running guides.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 19, 2019 05:36PM

Keep in mind it's all about the line. These small guide solutions will work fine with light braid , but not with something like 10 # mono or FC. I've said for years that given the right light test braid one could use a casting rod guide train and it would do pretty well. It was a long time coming for many in the building community to recognize how tolerant light test braid was and how dependent the right guide solution was on what line was to be used.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 01:58AM

Actually Michael, Hunter's rod and my own lost no performance over the standard setup with 8 lb mono. Actual specs are all in the M & M mentioned above.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 01:07PM

Eight pound mono isn't going to cause noticeable issues with small ringed guides , when you get up to around 15 pound mono or flouro as your main running line then you will see issues develop especially if using spinners with larger spool diameters but with reels in the 1000-2000 sizes it's not a problem . When one chooses to use a larger ring size than necessary for the stripper energy is lost , nothing on a major scale and most won't even notice but some energy is lost nonetheless .

A high frame 10 or 12 ring contains the line and and allows it to continue moving forward without having the line open up as it would if the ring diameter was considerably larger . When a guide ring is larger than necessary you lose efficiency, (Energy) and this apply's to the stripper right down to the choke and runners , they should all be no larger than absolutely necessary for best possible performance.

Now if you plan on using a wide variety of reels and line types most go with a larger stripper and somewhat larger choke/running guides which is the right thing to do but if someone wants the best possible performance and they know a single reel and line type will be used then following the above philosophy will give you the ultimate performance you're looking for .

Spencers comments about a 10 ring outcasting larger strippers shows whats possible when you contain the lines energy as opposed to losing energy by choosing strippers that are larger than needed , there's less room for the line to move inside the ring diameter which conserves the lines energy allowing it
to shoot the line forward instead of allowing it to billow inside a larger ring .

Choosing a high frame 16 instead of the more popular high frame 20 ring is an example of conserving energy IF the reel & line choice allows it .

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 01:31PM

A fact that one has to remember is when you use smaller ringed strippers the frame height also decreases. Thus, the chances of line slap increases, because the stripper guide is now closer to the blank. This is especially true when using larger reels, and/or heavier line. One of the main reasons for using high frame guides is to help prevent line slap by controlling line coils coming off the reel. One can go smaller and lower but only within a certain limit dependent on reel and line sizes.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.30.---)
Date: April 25, 2019 01:29PM

We're talking walleye jigging rods, no one puts 15 lb. non-braid anything on those small reels. You certainly wouldn't need the line because of the fight, the original old posts were for a medium power 6ft. smallmouth rod a much more aggresive critter when hooked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster