I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Complete rookie to rod building looking for solid avice
Posted by: Mike Savoie (---.cluster-yyza.forcepoint.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 09:00AM

Hi! So, I haven't bought anything yet. I'm not 100% sure if I want to build a spin caster or fly rod first. However, I'm looking for information before I start spending my money. I see some starter kits being offered something like [www.mudhole.com], are they worth it? I generally don't mind buying beginner kits, but history has proven that a lot of the tools/components in kits are 'cheap' and usually replaced. I'd rather buy better equipment up front instead of buying it twice. At least this has been my experience with fly tying stuff.

I guess I"m asking, if you could go back to when you started your first rod. Gear wise, what advice would you definitely give yourself?

Thanks for your time!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Complete rookie to rod building looking for solid avice
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 09:15AM

Never built a Mudhole kit but if it was crap then they have lost a customer forever. I would not hesitate to buy one of there kits if I was in your position. If you need help with one, all you have to do is pick up the phone and give them a call. Their lively hood depends on repeat business.

Nothing but excellent service from them even on nickel and dime components.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 09:39AM

A friend has built a Mudhole kit and is pleased with it. His first rod. I have read of others who have used them and are satisfied.

I don't think there is much of anything that will be wasted by trying one before really getting into building. If you decide not to pursue the hobby, you have not spent a lot to find out. If you decide to pursue it you will buy a better wrapper of some kind, but that wrapper that came with the kit was not that expensive, and you could sell it to another beginner. Or donate it to builders who are teaching youth to build.

I'd start with a spin or cast leaving the fly to later. You may want to use an up-level blank on that one after you gain experience and more insight into various blank manufacturers.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 10:34AM

You don't need much, and the beginner wrapping stands work fine forever.

The Mudhole kit looks like a good place to start. And Mudhole has been very responsive from a customer service point of view. I'd buy with confidence.

The one thing I might add, is a larger amount of the epoxy for gluing up your grip. That looks like a tiny amount in the kit. The ProGrip they supply is great and my other favorite is Rod Bond.

And one other thing-I have never ever used the alcohol lamp.

Last tip-do not spend a lot of money on nice components for your first couple of rods. You will get much better over time as you figure out the procedures that work for you. Even the medium end blanks are very high quality and make nice rods, so don't sweat the fact you're using inexpensive blanks for a build or two. Consider that your tuition. And spinning rods are generally easier, less expensive and more forgiving than fly rods.

When you have a few under your belt, and for an excellent blank at a highly competitive price, see Rodgeeks. Their Carbon4 fly blanks make great flyrods, and are not much more than $100.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 09:33AM by Drew Pollock.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 11:04AM

I personally think a fly rod is the easiest rod to build. Guide layout is quite straight forward, Handle is either a half Wells or a full Wells. Reel seat installs easily and goes at the end of the rod. Wraps are short and simple, and the multiple piece rods sections are very easy to wrap even without a rod wrapper. I don’t find anything about a fly rod build to be complex or difficult. If you want a fly rod build it, it easy,.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 11:54AM

Mike :

" I'm not 100% sure if I want to build a spin caster or fly rod first, I'd rather buy better equipment up front instead of buying it twice"

Somewhat confusing info here , especially the latter comment , are you planning to practice on beginner kits until you feel more comfortable or are you looking to purchase the best components and blank possible right from the start ? Does your "Equipment" comment mean you want to buy wrapping equipment for the long term to get into rod building on a serious level or does it mean you just want to buy a kit but are worried about the kit containing mediocre parts ?

Date: April 16, 2019 12:40PM

Great advice from Drew.

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.glt-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 01:02PM

I started with a Mudhole class to begin with. Two days of instruction with a starter kit and blank. Best money I've spent. Still using the equipment and adding to my system as I go. I drove about 7 hours to attend the class, I live in WY. Since the class I've been to the Mudhole's shop in FL as well as Get Bit, both were great folks and answered all my questions, in person and on the phone.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 01:56PM

A "kit" is a good way to go.
Unless, you have some ideas about components yourself.
over the years we have helped many who were just getting started,
but had some ideas about color of guides, thread, type of reel seat.
So then we help them get the correct sizes, etc.
The Mudhole kit looks like it will give you a good start.
If you want higher end wrappers for instance, Batson makes some nice ones without breaking the bank.
Same thing with finish machines, Batson has some nice ones that are good quality.
And Flex coat makes an "All In One" Assembly kit.
Here are some links to consider;

[www.schneidersrods.com]

[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Michael Collier (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 02:06PM

Can’t go wrong with a kit from Mud Hole especially one of the turnkey kits.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-174-207-4.myvzw.com)
Date: April 16, 2019 02:46PM

Mike

Our equipment is OEM quality and won't phase out. Made in the USA. You want to build rods better than you can buy. We offer a Small Business Starter Kit that will give you the tools in information to build a "beginner" rod and carry you forward with your future builds. You can add equipment and accessories to this kit and build like the Pro's. Buying the best you can get in equipment, tools, supplies and in rod components is always a smart idea. That is how we do it.

Check out the link to the Small Business Kit:
[flexcoat.com]

More questions, give me a call 512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: April 16, 2019 03:20PM

I had a totally different game plan when i decided to build a rod , i had zero interest in building a beginner rod just so i could get some practice in, i knew i would never use it . I also had no interest in getting into rod building on a permanent basis , my goal was to build a few top of the line surf rods so thats what i did.

I researched and took things very slow and practiced wrapping on things i had laying around because i only had enough money to purchase the blank and components i wanted from the beginning .

Do i recommend doing what i did , no i don't, because the fact is the more you build the better you do get , there's no question about that BUT an individual can also build a very satisfactory rod on their first attempt if you take your time and don't rush things . Not everybody wants to get into rod building on a permanent basis many just want to build a couple but have it turn out well and that is very obtainable with the amount of information available these days .

If a person has the time and funds buying a kit is a good idea i agree with that 100% but DO NOT give up based on opinions recommending you to avoid building on the blank/components you had interest in all along , thats what i did and i'm thrilled with the results.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 03:59PM

Spool of thread, box cuter. roll of masking tape and the flap off a cardboard box and I can and have made a rod a wrapper in mere minutes and stared wrapping rods. Don't over think don't over spend.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 17, 2019 06:05PM

Mike,
I can walk you through the Fly rod process if desired.
I can also set you up with REC and Fuji components if you wish - a "Kit" of sorts - but with nothing of low quality
I am of the mind set that if you build using less than excellent components - that rod will sit in the back of your closet never to see the light of day again.
Buy as good as you can afford.
If you are unhappy with the job you did - most likely it will be the wraps - no big deal to remove the guides and re-wrap.
One of the most fundamental challenges to building a proper fly rod is to get the seat concentric to the blank. If it is - the grip will go on easily. If not - you have a mess.
You should un-hide your email so members can communicate with you in private.
Herb
U.S. Distributor CTS Rod Blanks

Date: April 17, 2019 06:38PM

Herb L makes a great point , the only thing that i found somewhat challenging when i decided to build my first rod was applying the epoxy to cover the thread wraps and having it come out looking good . I found reel seat positioning and mounting , butt grips and fore grips, guide wrapping & final alignment not difficult at all it was applying the epoxy that i sometimes struggled with . I went through quite a few full bottles of epoxy mixes before i figured it out lol.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 18, 2019 09:40AM

X2 Herb L. Make a wrapper yourself and buy a drying motor set up. Boom Your done!

Date: April 18, 2019 11:32AM

JUST before you apply the epoxy to wraps check guide alignment one last time Alignment to the seat and to each other. You will not be able to adjust after the epoxy cures.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2019 09:06PM

Michael,
10-4 on the final check.

Over the years, I think that I have had about 3 rods come off of the dryer with one or more of the guides misaligned - much to my dismay.
The fix was never very nice to accomplish.

Posted by: Dave Schappell (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2019 03:21AM

I was in your shoes a couple of years ago...all I can say is..go for it! There's a ton of resources out there for you...many youtube videos...The Mudhole has some really good ones and the people are great to work with. I wouldn't waste a lot of money with the wrapper...you can get or make a simple one that will do the job for you. As for the kits, they are good quality.

My one suggestion is to practice. I was wrapping dowels...arrows...just for practice. Once I felt confident.. they I started the rod.

Good luck!

Dave

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: April 29, 2019 01:17AM

I started with a turnkey, i use the handwrapper yet, and the tools.. These guys arent lying when they say the thread epoxy can be tricky!
Since, ive upgraded to the CRB RBS pro wrapper, along with 3 aluminum tracks, the tracks come with roller bearings for the hand wrapper.. Ive had to buy a few extra tentioner rods for the wrapper, they dont seem to hold up.. My first was a CRB e-glass turnkey.. I wish i baught a MHX kit off the bat.. So the second rod was a MHX.. Thats my go to baby yet.. Lol ive improved 20 fold since my first rod, stick to this board, ask 1000 questions.. Usually theres someone who has been in the same situation and is more then willing to help...

The turnkey kit has everything you need as advertized... I personally dont like prokote.. Hitena is very good, and im about to give threadmaster a go.. The CRB rod building system is upgradeable, however i wish they offered roller stands, after alot of use the v stands take a beating... Expecially with the power wrapper.. I suggest getting blue painters tape.. Wrap the rod where the blank will meet the stands.. The amount of propaste is enough to do 3-4 rods with ease.. And im not stingy with it.. I always have a crap load extra mixed..

The rod dryer would be nice if it had a faster motor.. Its advertized at 9rpm.. Ive timed it, mine is 4.6/rev. And not having a slip chuck can get to be a pain.. Also the "one size fits most" rubber thingy kinda @#$%&.. Always leaves a ring on eva, sometimes marks the cork up a little..

My aluminum base, is fricken great.. As soon as i got it though i immediately replaced the support brackets with thicker stainless steel ones.. The weight of the tracks will cause the sections to flex if not on a perfectly level surface..

The hand wrapper, not horrible.. As stated before the tensioner rod splintered within 4 months.. Granted i sleep, build, got to work, build, sleep.. Everyday, nonstop.. I will soon be upgrading to the 4 post thread holder, being an upgradeable system, it attaches right to the wrapper without major modification..

The power wrapper.. 50/50 on that.. Its very expensive for what it is.. Why on earth would anyone think puting a therno reostat in a foot control is a good idea i dont know.. The petal gets hot.. Quick.. Ive only hit the thermo cutoff once.. But to say its responsive is a joke.. Although the 3 jaw chuck is heaven.. Im working on a way to make a 3 jaw for my dryer.. Having the 4 diffrent speeds is nice, but completly unnecessary.. Its compact which is good, but wish it had a reverse..

With everything being said above, i would have never got into rod building if it wasnt for a turnkey kit.. For what you get its well worth the money.. Some things you'll find you want to upgrade, other things are perfectly adaquate... It was either rod building or glass blowing (lampwork) both are very satisfying.. And with that being said, rod building is dangerously addictive.. I havent heard about an overdose yet.. But im sure a few guys on the board here have been close to the edge... Lol we need to seriously start a RBA.. Haha.. (Rod Builders Anonymous)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster