I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alabama Rig Rod
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: April 15, 2019 12:41PM

Good morning all,

Am looking to put together a nice Alabama Rig Rod. The rigs will be no more than 3 ounces. I have done a search and see many recommended a swimbait blank. What do you think about a Delta SW765?

What recommendations do y’all have? I will be using 65lb power pro

Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alabama Rig Rod
Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 15, 2019 02:53PM

Since you are looking for 3oz we would recommend a swimbait rod for sure. Check out our RainShadow Revelation REVSB710MH-SB which you can find specs here: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 15, 2019 04:48PM

Tale a look at the RX6 graphite Saltwater blanks.
I have a personal rod built on the RCLB70XL,
nice moderate action with plenty of power in the butt.

Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2019 05:12PM

I'm with James on this one.

Model Color Length Pcs Line Lure Butt TipTop Action Power Weight Application
REVSB710MH-SB Satin Black 7'10" 1 15-30lb. 2-6oz. 0.605 7.5 F MH 4.0oz. Medium Bass swimbaits/Light - medium SW/Alabama Rig

Date: April 16, 2019 05:08PM

Greatly appreciate the advice. I ordered one from Bingham.

Tom

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 18, 2019 05:24PM

It seems like a hotshot blank would make a good Alabama Rig Rod.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 18, 2019 08:47PM

Phil, it seems to me hotshot blanks would be well suited to a number of bass techniques. I have very little knowledge of this type blank. And see little written about them.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2019 09:08PM

Phil,
It depends on the hotshot blank, but most of the hot shot blanks on which I have built would not have a stiff enough tip to carry the load of an Alabama Rig rod.

This rig is heavy and needs a pretty stout rod, including the tip.

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 18, 2019 09:43PM

Casting an Alabama rig is like casting a chandelier. Not a lot of fun.
Norm

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2019 06:13AM

not till you get a bit. then its all fun

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 19, 2019 10:01AM

Yes, I have used an A rig and caught as many as 3 at one time, but casting and reeling that thing will wear your butt out. You do need a very stout rod.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 19, 2019 10:45AM

Hotshot blanks are very versatile. I built out an 8'6" hotshot blank into fly rod and used it for fishing fall-run King Salmon. The light tip transmitted the feel of a hit and the rugged butt section put a lot of pressure on the fish. This rod, besides chuck-and-duck salmon fishing also casts an 11 wt. fly line very nicely once you got used to the strange timing. It has whipped 30#-40# tarpon with ease.

Date: April 19, 2019 07:18PM

Norman, believe it or not the right rod really eases a lot of the anguish associated with the rig. I use a bounce back rod for the smaller rigs and it’s a joy to fish with. I use an underhand side cast to gently lob it towards targets and it works great. It doesn’t shine overly well at overhand snap casting. That’s the reason for the new blank. We fish it over deep brush piles and need as long of a cast as we can manage and I believe the swimbait blank will provide that power oil am looking for.

I completely agree with Steve all pain goes away with a bite! I just caught a 7.24 spotted bass on Table Rock with one and never thought about the pain for the rest of the day lol

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2019 08:24AM

I recommend the Point Blank PB761XXHMF. I have several customers that use this rod for A-rigs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster