I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which tip top to use on a custom drop shot rod?
Posted by: Chris Henry (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2019 08:12AM

This will be my first custom drop shot build for myself and I’ll be using the Fuji KLH guides with 4.5 kt runners. I have seen many suggestions for the tip top, for example bfcat and fc but why would I use a casting rod tip top and not just the micro Fuji spinning tip top. Let me know what the best option is. I’ll be using braid with an fg knot flouro’d leader so I want a tip top that won’t have a tendency to hang up the light braid. Also do you add a locking wrap to the running micro guides? Is it necessary? Thank you very much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which tip top to use on a custom drop shot rod?
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 13, 2019 10:01AM

IMHO I would use the tip top recommended by Fuji for the guides you are using. Usually with drop shotting you are not worried about casting. And yes, use the locking wrap. I used both the locking and blocking wrap on all my single foot guides.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 13, 2019 10:25AM

Once you learn the locking wrap you will find it adds hardly any time or difficulty to wrapping, and I recommend it be used on all single foot guides. Especially the ones with the very small feet. While the exposure to guides snagging on anything is less with micros because they are very low to the rod, it still can happen. The locking wrap makes guide pull-out non-existent.

I would use the Fuji LG that matches your guides, has frame and ring material options, designed for micro rods, and its design has the reinforcing "leg" attachments on top so there is less tendency to catch the line with the leg to tube joint.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2019 10:59AM

Chris,
Until pretty recently in the scheme of things, micro tip tops were only available for blanks with a tip smaller than a 4 tube, it took years to get the tips we have now, when we did get them they were only in one frame style and they worked on everything we put them on, the same is true now, use what you want, it will make no difference on that rods performance.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 13, 2019 11:07AM

It’s a no brainer, use the matching LG. They are made for the KR guides.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2019 03:57PM

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 13, 2019 07:26PM

Are locking wraps necessary .....no, but they aren't a bad thing either , i do not use a locking wrap even with size 5 KT's for the running guides on my surf rods but to each their own as they say . I like the Fuji titanium torzite tip tops because they're exceptionally light and slick and i found one that had a size 6 ring instead of the larger size 8 and 10 tip top ring sizes that others prefer. In regards to your rod i would select a size 5 or 5.5 tip top since you're using 4.5 runners which is a fantastic choice by the way, not sure if Fuji offers tip tops with the "F" designation in the size you need but if they do the "Flange" ring design offers more protection for light braid than the "R" designation tip tops offer.

I agree with the others about tip top style not being a huge issue , choose what appeals to you .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2019 07:30PM by herb canter.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 13, 2019 08:28PM

the locking wrap makes a single foot guide almost as stable as a double foot guide..

Posted by: Chris Henry (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2019 05:26AM

How many locking wraps do you recommend? Also what is a blocking wrap?

Date: April 14, 2019 09:45AM

Not sure about a blocking wrap, might be another name for the locking wrap. I usually use 3 or 4 loops. If you do them right you cannot even see that they are there most of the time. But even if you see them, that's no problem.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2019 10:28AM

Locking wraps are when you come to the point where your wrap is almost done and your at the point where the guide foot bend starts leaving a gap, you now do figure 8 wraps over the top of the guide, than under through the small gap, around the blank, back through the gap and over the top again 3 times, this is the locking wrap. It is now time to do a blocking wrap, I use 3 wraps, they are just regular wraps around the blank, in front of everything, you can use what you like. PLEASE remember to put your finishing wrap loop in before you start all of this.
By the way some just use blocking wraps in the place of all above, at the appropriate time, either way the object is to make it all look seemless.

Date: April 14, 2019 11:13AM

Here is a how to article from the library on the Locking wrap.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Date: April 14, 2019 11:18AM

Date: April 14, 2019 11:19AM

OOPS! Didn't see your post, Norman.

Date: April 14, 2019 12:45PM

Micheal, probably posting at the same time. It happens all the time to me.
Norm

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2019 05:20PM

I do exactly like Mr. Phipps most of the time

The only exception is when I am wrapping 1.5 through 2.5 mm guides, in these situations I will use 2 locking, and 2 or 3 blocking wraps

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster