I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish a wrap without a thread loop?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 09, 2019 02:18PM

I am new to the Rodbuilder.org forum ,and I attempted a search without any success. I had seen a video of a person finishing a wrap with a knot that reminded me of a Rizzuto Hitch I've used in FG Knot leader attachments for saltwater fishing. Does anyone know of a way to finish without needing a second piece of thread, or loop of material to complete and close the end of a wrap? Or does anyone know of where I might find a video of this action?

Thank you,

Build On!

Re: Finish a wrap without a thread loop?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2019 02:26PM

I know some that wipe the tag end of the wrapping thread with super glue and then just make one revolution, cut it and let it set.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: April 09, 2019 02:35PM

Alex Buonanno Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am new to the Rodbuilder.org forum ,and I
> attempted a search without any success. I had seen
> a video of a person finishing a wrap with a knot
> that reminded me of a Rizzuto Hitch I've used in
> FG Knot leader attachments for saltwater fishing.
> Does anyone know of a way to finish without
> needing a second piece of thread, or loop of
> material to complete and close the end of a wrap?
> Or does anyone know of where I might find a video
> of this action?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Build On!

I've never seen this done, but you could do exactly like you mentioned. Do the rizzuto finish with the rod standing in place of the "main line." Get plenty of extra length, make a loop, twist the end around the rod 5 times, then hold that piece against your wrap. Wrap over that tag end by "unwrapping" the loops you created, then pull tight. All of that said, I can't imagine why you would want to do that when you can just use a thread pull. Also, kind of thinking the rizzuto would be easier with a thread puller.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 09, 2019 04:22PM

Alex,
Thank you for posting an interesting question. I will be following this topic to learn.
Being guilty of over-thinking from time to time, I have also wondered of a different way to tie-off a wrap.
While always employing the FG knot for my saltwater line-to-leader connection as well, I am unfamiliar with the Rizzuto knot and cannot quite picture how it works. I also cannot picture how Tom’s reply does not leave the tag end exposed.
You have my curiosity up and will investigate the Rizzuto knot. In the mean time, I will employ an early tie-off/pull-through loop and bury the tag end under the wrap.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 09, 2019 04:49PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> I know some that wipe the tag end of the wrapping
> thread with super glue and then just make one
> revolution, cut it and let it set.
>
> .........

It doesn't get any easier than that and i have no doubt it would work , you just leave the tag end stuck to the bottom of the blank . The biggest problem i see is preventing your fingers from being welded together because even when wearing gloves it's a sticky mess.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2019 06:46PM

REALLY???????

Date: April 09, 2019 07:09PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
> REALLY???????

You got to experiment Herb , even though the overwhelming majority of rod builders use the tried and proven thread loop to finish off wraps including myself some still insist that you MUST experiment , i think it's against the law to not experiment these days .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 09, 2019 07:10PM

Using super glue on regular thread will result in the thread changing color. Might not on NCP., but I don't know. Depends on what your overall strategy is whether using super glue to end the wrap will work for you.

Posted by: joseph karow (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: April 09, 2019 07:11PM

There is a video of Bob Taylor showing how it `s done.
[vimeo.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2019 07:33PM

In a word, using a braided fishing line pull thread is simple, easy, foolproof and reliable.

Any questions?

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 09, 2019 07:46PM

cool never thought of doing it that way will try it a few time's , not sure I can but will try

William Sidney
AK

Date: April 09, 2019 08:10PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> Using super glue on regular thread will result in
> the thread changing color. Might not on NCP., but
> I don't know. Depends on what your overall
> strategy is whether using super glue to end the
> wrap will work for you.

Super Glue is an absolute nightmare to remove if it dries on a painted blank , i got a little accidentally on a blank one time so thats from personal experience . I would try something different if there was a method that would provide some type of advantage over the thread loop but i can't really think of any .

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2019 08:33PM

I get the whole experimenting different ways to do things because it may result in an easier and better way to do said "thing" And I can even see, to a certain extent, doing things a different way, just to be different. But this is not one of those times. lol I mean .... can it get any more simple than a pull through loop?

No .....

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2019 08:37PM

Why fix it, if it ain’t broke.
Norm

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ct.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 09, 2019 08:51PM

Thank you much Joe,

There is a video of Bob Taylor showing how it `s done.
[vimeo.com]

This is a great answer to my question. now even more so that the video I can watch over and over to learn. I think that its and efficient way to complete the job without "replacing" equipment and hand position during the tying-off of the wrap.

I'm happy that I posted this and received and answer so quickly

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: April 10, 2019 02:57AM

You can always take your tag that you wrap over to start the thread, keep it long, then when your ready, fold it back to create the loop, then pull through like with a second thread loop.. Ill warn you though.. Doing it that way makes it verry difficult for some reason to unwrap it.. I did that a few times on my test blank to compare colors.. It really locks itself down

Posted by: joseph karow (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: April 10, 2019 01:49PM

joseph karow Wrote:
> There is a video of Bob Taylor showing how it `s
> done.
> [vimeo.com]

Not sure if the first link shown 3 videos , just in case here is the other two.
[vimeo.com]
[vimeo.com]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 13, 2019 08:40AM

The rizzuto knot is why fly tyers call a "whip finish". Each turn of the rizzuto knot puts a twist in the tying thread, but it likely does no harm. I WOULD like to watch someone tie a rizzuto knot on the choker guide of a ten-foot, one piece surf rod!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster