I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Modifying a Liberty blank for a custom drop shot rod???
Posted by: Chris Henry (206.80.132.---)
Date: April 08, 2019 03:27PM

I'm interested in a Liberty blank for a custom drop shot rod but what I'm looking for is a 7' Medium X-Fast blank rated up to 1/2 oz, sometimes 5/8 oz. I've looked at the DS700 but it's only rated up to 5/16 which isn't enough for my specific application. I do however see they offer a 7'6" spin jig model (#SJ763-USA) which is Medium X-Fast rated up to 5/8oz. If I were to remove approximately 4-6" off the butt section, what will the affects be? Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Modifying a Liberty blank for a custom drop shot rod???
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 08, 2019 03:58PM

Talk to Kevin, he's very helpful.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 08, 2019 05:32PM

I (and I know I am not alone) have trimmed enough blanks to get a notion on how the blank will behave after cutting it.

You could do what is called a “SWAG” (SCIENTIFIC WILD A$$ GUESS) that is cut the blank assemble the rod and hope for the best (not recommended), or you could hedge your bet and try to predict the results of trimming the blank without actually cutting it.
If you want to see the effects of cutting from the butt make a temporary assembly (taping on the guides) and mount the grip (temporary) where you would like it to be and fish, cast or drag weights along the grass. If you want to see what happens if you cut from the tip, tape a guide where you would like the tip to be and use the guide as the tip then fish, cast or drag weights along the grass. Try different combinations until you are satisfied with the results.record the positions of the components and complete the rod.

It will involve some effort and trial and error, but in the end there will be no surprises. It may be that cutting some from each end may do the trick.

The least impact on the blank is trimming from the butt end.

Have fun
John

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2019 07:38PM

Try the blank as it comes, I've seen dropshot rods get longer over the years, so when I had a chance to try a 7 1/2 ft. blank made by Lamiglas I gave it a shot. I really like it just the way it is, it also is a great finesse small mouth rod.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 08, 2019 10:30PM

Even for the hobby builder it is possible to build a CCS testing rig that doesn't require all the space of the 4 x 8 sheet of plywood (although that is the best, easiest to use setup), then he can test exactly what shortening the rod will do. Without actually shortening it. Just make the proposed shortened point the rear support point if shortening from the butt, or hang the weight wherever you want near the tip by attaching a guide there.

He can keep records of all the rods he builds and will be in a good position to build new rods that accurately meet his needs based on past experience with rods and correlating to his CCS numbers.

Another thing that would help making this decision is to get the long blank and tape guides/reel seat to it as if it's shortened from the butt and try it out. I would never trim any blank from the tip. It just seems to wreck the action every time.

But if a builder, even a hobby builder, plans on building for a while, he should take the time to build a CCS rig and learn to use it.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 09, 2019 08:12PM

Talk to Kevin, he's a builder first, and they're his blanks.

Date: April 14, 2019 05:43PM

I would order the blank because it's close enough to what you want to most likely work as is or as shortened. Mount the reel seat (with tape) where you would if the blank were shorter, put guides on with tape, and try it out.

Then move the seat back to where it would be if the blank were untrimmed, move the reduction train and a runner or two , and try it again.

Does either meet your expectations? If yes, build. If not, keep it for a future project and keep looking.

I believe either configuration will work just fine.

Date: April 14, 2019 05:43PM

I would order the blank because it's close enough to what you want to most likely work as is or as shortened. Mount the reel seat (with tape) where you would if the blank were shorter, put guides on with tape, and try it out.

Then move the seat back to where it would be if the blank were untrimmed, move the reduction train and a runner or two , and try it again.

Does either meet your expectations? If yes, build. If not, keep it for a future project and keep looking.

I believe either configuration will work just fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster