I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver Suggestion
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2019 10:53PM

Getting around to finishing my latest build. Having color preserver issues. Always used U 40 Color lock in the past. Well I have now gotten three bad bottles. First froze in shipping. Next two there is a problem with. U 40 admits the issue, says it is still usable. I am not going to take the risk on a rod with 11 guides and a butt wrap. So need some suggestions. Last time I used a different color preserver was maybe 15 years ago. It was flex coat tried it on a couple rods. Never seemed to get even saturation of the thread and my finish ended up being blotchy. Don't know if it was an application issue or the product. Would like a product similar to the U 40. Don't really want to learn the quirks of a new product on a rod that took a long time for me to wrap. Too much time in for things to end up mediocre come finishing. Thanks for any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver Suggestion
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2019 10:57PM

I believe the U40 Color Lock and Flex Coat CP are essentially the same formulas. Color preserver that has been frozen becomes unusable. Older CP that may have lost some solvent (water) to evaporation can also be damaged. Buy small bottles and keep a fresh supply.

AL's CP is a different animal but many like it. Something else to try.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 07, 2019 11:23PM

I don’t use CP very often, but when I do I use ChromaSeal. It’s the best I have ever used.
Norm

Date: April 07, 2019 11:34PM

Tom thanks for the info on the two being nearly the same. I will probable go ahead and give the flex coat a try again. The color lock is new bottles. There has been a a problem with some component not staying in solution. I was told to shake vigorously to get things blended back together. This is counter to their instructions not to shake it. Not going to roll the dice.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2019 11:44PM

I went to Al's Color Rite to improve the looks of my silk wraps maybe 15 years ago, I was getting blotches with other CP. Works just as well on other thread. when you look at it on the brush it looks like thinned Flexcoat, but it doesn't act that way.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2019 01:48AM

Michael,
The really simple solution is to use no color preserver.

I am pretty sure that if you use no color preserver, you will not have issues with color preserver.

i almost never use color preserver unless it is specifically requested by the client.

Good luck

Date: April 08, 2019 04:30AM

I have thought of trying no color preserver on a future rod. I do like the look of certain colors with no CP.Tried it in the past had some bubble issues need to work on my technique. On this particular rod was not willing to try it. Used a three color twist thread, green brown black. Figured it would just become one dark color that would not really standout from the black blank.

Posted by: Michael Collier (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2019 06:33AM

Just tried Procoat new cp and I like it . It looks pretty good.

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2019 07:52AM

I have been using Flex-Coat C P and Epoxies for 25 years they keep improving there products. Never has and serious issues. I don't fix what's not broken.

Rich Kline Custom Rods

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (172.58.87.---)
Date: April 08, 2019 10:43PM

Michael,I am not saying that shaking your bottle of CP is wrong. I have found that using a spade type of drill bit (with the tip ground off) and chucked in a drill is a better way to remix acrylic types of CP. Do what works for you.

Date: April 09, 2019 04:16AM

I have not had issues with U 40 CP in the past. I always lightly stirred it poured what I needed into a mixing cup. The instructions state not to shake it. The latest batch has a known issue. It is not slight separation like I have seen that is fixed by a bit of stirring. There is something coming out of solution. It is a thick grey slime about three times thicker than normal CP floating around in the remaining liquid which is thinner than normal and looks very watery.U 40 claims it will be ok to use if you shake it vigorously. I am just hesitant to use anything against the instructions and against the way I have always done it. I have flexcoat and chromaseal on order. Will wrap a test stick and see which one goes on and acts as close to the U 40 using my technique.

Date: April 12, 2019 05:13AM

I went with the chromaseal. Really liked how well it wetted the thread. Actually had to re pack the thread in a couple spots as the thread took on so much cp it expanded and caused some minor gaps to open near the end of my wrap. The excess wicked right off. Leaving the thread looking just wet. No question if it will dry clear or not. Other cp always looked a little white always leaving me wonder if I got enough of the excess off the avoid issues later. Will see how the second coat goes. I expect things to go just as smooth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster