I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Calstar rt80
Posted by: gregg Lally (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2019 08:53AM

I recemtly purchased a calstar rt80 6’6” blank to build an #80 rod. I would like to use a #4 butt. Once I laid out the rod I found the butt end to be too big to use a #4 butt. If I cut 1’ off the butt end of the blank I will have the correct size butt. Calstar makes the same blank in a 5’6” length with the correct size butt. My question is are the two blanks basically the same and the longer one just continues to carry the taper? So essentially if I decide the cut the blank down am I left with basically the 5’6” blank?

I am still trying to find the correct 5’6” blank, just want to think ahead if I can’t find the shorter blank.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calstar rt80
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 07, 2019 12:19PM

With the blank in hand , I would cut the 1 inch off a go with it , save you time an be dun with it , I think ,

William Sidney
AK

Date: April 07, 2019 02:34PM

Bill, is that a typo? I would have to cut 1’ off not 1”

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 07, 2019 03:07PM

Gregg:
The Cal-Star regulation series RT80-B 5' 6" length has a butt 1.005, assuming you are using the Calstar 645XXBH-B 6' 6" Blank with a 1.16 butt.. The Blanks have a different taper, the regulation rod has a tip size of #20 the other has a #14 tip and an ex fast taper, Regulation Series5' 6" rods really don't have a defined taper.. I would not cut the blank you would probable not achieve the results you want. If you want a I.G.F.A. 80, use a #80 I.G.F.A Blank. I think the Calstar blank you have is a Tuna/Long series and these rods are usually one piece stand up tuna rods.

Rich Kline Custom Rods
'

Date: April 07, 2019 05:24PM

Thanks for the info rich. The blank I have is indeed the igfa series rt80 6’6”, (#20 tip, 1.075 butt) not the 645xxbh that you described above. Calstar also makes the igfa rt80 in the 5’6” length, same size tip #20 with 1.005 butt, that is what I desire to end up with. Being that the blanks both have the same tip and same igfa rt80 designation, do you k own if they are the same taper as well?

Thanks

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2019 07:46AM

Gregg:
I don't know if the taper is the same on the blanks, I.G.F.A. blanks never list a taper. Most other type of blanks due. I would check with the Calstar they would be able to answer that question.All the I.G.F.A. Rods I build I never came across a taper in the spec's.s.

Rich Kline Custom Rods

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2019 10:56PM

Unless you actually need the blank to be 5'6" long,why not just chuck the blank in a rodbuilding lathe by the tip,and gently sand the butt to fit the ferrule on the Unibutt? The wall thickness of the butt is such,that it allows for such practices without sacrificing strenght.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster