I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cracked male ferrule
Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2019 08:59PM

Hello all. I was striper fishing this morning in the surf with my light spinning rod and
on a cast heard a loud pop noise as my tip section went flying into the surf with my
plug. I checked and there was a split,about a half inch,like a hairline crack,right smack dab
in the middle of the male ferrule. It runs down the blank roughly half an inch or so. I was able to
join the rod and finish out the morning. My question is,what's the fix? Do I need to try and epoxy
it or something? Or can I just fish it if the 2 ferrules are tightly joined? My theory is the top section
came a bit loose and caused the male end to split. Seemed sturdy as I continued to cast it but
I'm leery. Thanks,
Robert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cracked male ferrule
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2019 09:26PM

You'll want to fit and adhere a thin wall internal sleeve inside the male ferrule. You'll have to do this from the butt so it'll take a bit of care and precision measuring. First find a scrap section of carbon rod blank and insert that up through the butt and on through the male end (remove the rubber plug if there is one in place. Then mark the end of the scrap section where it protrudes from the top of the male section. Remove the scrap section and mark it so that the scrap section will cover the crack with perhaps another half to 3/4 inch below the crack. Cut at that point. Clean inside of rod blank. Prepare water-break-free surfaces on both. Apply two-part epoxy on the scrap section just cut and push into the butt until it is even with the top of the male section. Go fishing.

Quicker to write than to do, but it can be done and done well. You just need the right donor section so the taper's match fairly well. Some careful measuring and fitting can save your rod.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 07, 2019 09:16AM

Since that ferrule is loaded in compression would not filling the end with liquid epoxy work? Foam earplugs can be compressed then pushed down into the "tube" to keep the epoxy where you want it. About 3/4 inch deeper than the female ferrule overlap?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 07, 2019 10:48AM

Robert,
However you do it - make sure you bind the outside of the male ferrule to keep the split together while exerting even slight pressure from within.
I would put a layer of plastic wrap around the male ferrule to deal with epoxy leakage and then wrap tightly with thread.
Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2019 03:15PM

Robert,
Pretty simple:

1. Take masking tape and tightly wrap the outside of the male ferrule to prevent expansion.

2. Take a 4 inch piece of solid glass stock from a piece of solid rod blank or a fiberglass driveway marker.

3. Chuck the piece of stock into a variable speed drill.

4. Then, either using a piece of taped down coarse sand paper, or a 100 grit sanding belt on a spinning belt sander, bring the side of the solid glass stock in contact with the stationary or moving sand paper belt.

5. Continue this process until you have about 2-3 inches of the piece of fiberglass uniformely sanded down so that it just barely fits into the end of the male ferrule.

6. Mix up a small batch of 5 minute epoxy and coat the inside of the male ferrule and the outside of the solid plug that you have just made.

7. Use the large original size of the plug as a handle to move the plug into the open end of the split end of the male ferrule.

8. After the glue has hardened, use an abrasive cut off wheel in a dremel tool or a chop saw with an abrasive cutting wheel on it to cut off the enlarged section of the piece of fiberglass.

You are now left with a nice solid end on the male ferrule to give you a new long lasting end on your rod section.

The total repair time should be about 10 minutes.

Good luck

p.s.
Herb, if you wrap the ferrule with thread won't you create a size issue with the end of the blank since this is a male ferrule, it fits inside the tip section does it not?

Date: April 07, 2019 05:58PM

Roger , if what you propose would work , then simply filling the cavity with liquid epoxy would work. What both accomplish is filling the void in the male section with something incompressible. Thus preventing the male section from collapsing. Keep it really simple. It is my opinion that both will work just fine.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 07, 2019 06:19PM

:-))
Roger
I assumed all here would understand that the thread wrap is only a temporary compression sleeve. The plastic wrap is there to prevent the oozing epoxy from making the removal of the thread easier.
Herb

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2019 08:21PM

Wow some great ideas here! I will report back with some results depending on what I do!

Robert

Date: April 11, 2019 10:20PM

Good ideas , Herb. I see no reason why a repair would not be successful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster