I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Size 16 spinning seat arbors - loose fit
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 06, 2019 06:03AM

As common as size 16 standard spinning seats are, I am finding that the arbors for them generally have a really loose fit - more than I am comfortable with. When I go to size 17 seats the arbors are nice and snug.

Working primarily with Fuji DPSM seats and Flex Coat or Batson arbors.

Has anyone found arbors that have a nice snug fit with the Fuji DPSM size 16 seats?

Thanks!
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Size 16 spinning seat arbors - loose fit
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2019 08:33AM

Often they are undersized on purpose, thinking that the builder will not do a perfect job of mounting them, thus leaving room for error. Being precise, you might as well go on with the #17 arbors.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2019 01:34PM

Marc,
The solution is really really simple.

I assume that you are using the white poly arbors.

Although I used to use the Fuji arbors when they first came out, I stopped using them after the white arbors came out because the white arbors were so much easier to work with.

But, as I said, the solution is simple. Just purchase size 17 or 18 arbors, depending on what you need, and then turn down the size 17 arbors to be a perfect fit for your size 16 reel seats.

I just use a small round file that is just a touch bigger than the 1/4 inch hole that are in the arbors. I chuck the file into a drill and then screw the arbor onto the file.

I turn on my belt sander and then with the drill turning in the opposite direction from the movement of the sandpaper on the belt sander, just tough the spinning arbor to the moving sanding belt to reduce the arbor as needed. I generally use about 180 grit paper which quickly reduces the arbor to the correct size. Frequently check the size of the arbor to reduce the arbor and to avoid sanding off too much

The other thing that you can so is to just taper one end of the arbor enough to get it started into the reel seat, and then with a rod on the inside of the foam arbor, just insert the larger arbor into the reel seat and start to turn it. Normally, the end of the reel seat is such that the rotation of the arbor against the end of the seat will cut through the foam to get it to the correct size. But, most of the time, I use the spinning arbor against a sanding belt to take care of the job very quickly.

=================
If you don't have a belt sander, you can always pick up one of these, along with some extra sanding belts for your shop:

[www.harborfreight.com]

======================

But the other thing that you can do, is to just put a piece of 120 grit sand paper on the bench, and use tape to tape down the edges of the paper. Then, with the arbor chucked onto the end of a rod held in the drill, just hold the spinning arbor against the sand paper on the bench to reduce the size of the oversized arbor. You will be done in a flash. Have a few spares. That way, if you happen to go to far, you can put it in the back up pile and start again with another arbor.

Best wishes

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2019 10:04AM

1 1/2 turns of masking tape in 2 spots on the arbor and it'll fit snug.
Then you can accidentally overream it when installing it, and put a couple of turns of masking tape on the blank. LMAO defeats the purpose of using them? haha

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 07, 2019 07:53PM

Or use a turn or two of dry wall tape to snug it up. The mesh of the dry wall tapes gives great adherence and light weight.
Norm

Posted by: Drew Pollock (190.140.186.---)
Date: April 08, 2019 08:18AM

One thread wrap with each turn spaced 1/4 inch apart works perfectly. I just went through your exact dilemma

But if you do nothing, and use a thick paste epoxy like rod bond, it will work fine too. Fit . one up and you;ll see.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2019 09:56AM

I second Norm's use of dry wall tape when you can't get a foam arbor to fit exactly the way you seek.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster