I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loose reel seat
Posted by: Bill Break (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 05, 2019 10:07AM

I have a loose reel seat on a lamiglas rod I built about 35 years ago. The reel seat is under wrapped with nylon masons string. Just wanted to know if there is any way to repair the reel seat before I star cutting it off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loose reel seat
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2019 10:15AM

You can try boring a hole in the seat and pumping in some liquid epoxy. It is possible that it will penetrate the cord or reset any loose areas. Worth a try before you go to the trouble of tearing the seat off.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 10:19AM

Bill,
If you built the rod 35 years ago, cut off the rear grip, the reel seat and fore grip.

Then, install new components from the butt end of the rod and you will be set for another 35 years.

Or, if you like the rear grip, cut off all of your guides and fore grip, clean up the rod and then install a new reel seat, fore grip and take the opportunity to install new guides and tip top at the same time.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 11:37AM

Check the reel seat for for air space with a large needle, ice pick , fly tying bodkin works well. Finding a gap, consider injecting epoxy rod finish, super glue, or remove the top of the reel set cork ring and just pour adhesive and replace the top ring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2019 02:17PM by Paul Darby.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 01:52PM

it all depends on the rod you want to fix, cheep way, drill holes an use liquid epoxy , [deep fry TURKEY BASTER is great ], clean it before use ,

William Sidney
AK

Date: April 05, 2019 05:28PM

Thanks.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 05:35PM

There is no reason to do anything drastic before trying what Tom suggests. If it works the rod is good for another 35 years. And it most likely will work.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 06:12PM

Continually rotating the reel seat helps spread the epoxy and tipping will help it migrate past the hole you drilled.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 06:21PM

Drill two holes, one to let the air out as you pump the epoxy in. The small holes, when filled and finished after injection , will be most likely not noticeable.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 11:12PM

I usually drill a 1/4 hole just where the hood meets the seat where the reel foot sits and then rotate the handle 180 and put 1 or 2 1/8 holes to relieve the pressure of injecting the epoxy and then when I see or get a drip or flow I wipe off the excess and tape over them and let it cure over night and ready set go fish the next day .
I also use 30 min or Thread master opit flow epoxy has a longer cure but flows well top to bottom

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Brian Babcock (---.va.shawcable.net)
Date: April 06, 2019 01:10PM

Bill,
If the rod has a cork handle, here's a method I've used several times with great success. Carefully cut one cork ring off the blank at each end of the reel seat. You should now be able to slide the seat up or down 1/2". Clean the blank up with some light sandpaper wherever possible. I also try to clean the inside of the seat with a bit of folded sandpaper. Then apply paste epoxy (rod bond) to the blank forcing as much as possible down inside the seat - think packing grease in a wheel bearing. Slide the seat up and down continually packing epoxy inside until you're satisfied that there's no more going in. Then split a couple cork rings that you've previously sized to the blank. Epoxy the rings above and below the seat. I use plastic tie wraps to "clamp" the split cork rings. Position the reel seat. Clean up, let dry, and sand the cork. Good for another 35 years!
Brian

Date: April 07, 2019 08:18AM

Thank you for the great input.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster