I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fiberglass sleeves
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 08:37AM

Has anyone used fiberglass sleeves from Soller for grips? Not the Carbon/fiberglass but light fiberglass. I am so into composite grips now and was wondering. Some of the colors could make interesting grips.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fiberglass sleeves
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 09:35AM

Try a bunch and give us all a product report.

No reason that they shouldn't work out very well.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2019 10:10AM

If you have RodMaker Volume 10 #6, you can see a variety of the fiberglass sleeves on the cover. Because it is the core and not the "skin" that is important, the glass sleeves work just as well as the carbon ones. The only difference is that sanding the glass skins is not recommended. Where carbon typically sands smooth, sand the glass tends to raise "fuzz" that is not easy to finish over.

Date: April 05, 2019 10:13AM

Here's a photo from 2006: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 10:36AM

I have that issue and I use it as my go to. I have used those particular sleeves as well. I just noticed they have plain fiberglass in colors and off them in some custom camo pattern

Date: April 05, 2019 11:46AM

Would be the same process with the same difficulty if you sanded them. But you may not need to sand them.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 02:23PM

Yes, I have built a number of grips for customers using the Soller fiberglass sleeving. It handles very much like the carbon fiber material, although not as smooth. It is more tactile, thus it takes more surface coats to get the same smoothness as the carbon fiber. Also a note, it has some transparency (even the colors) so it should be built on a light colored core.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 03:39PM

So Phil, you don,t think an EVA core is a good idea...you just threw a bucket of water on that one..lol.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 06:07PM

,EVA comes in more than one color, the technique was originally developed to get use out of lesser quality cork, etc. as a nice finished cover, like shrink tubing is used at times.

Date: April 05, 2019 06:51PM

This is true Spencer but i,m so used to thinking of preshaped grips which are all i use anymore but i flock them..the black doesn,t show through the flock at all and holds up well..originally Tom.Kirkman introduced flocking for cheap cork which works very well of course..

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 07:08PM

Don't know about EVA, never used it as I only build fly rods and use the light colored foam cores.

Date: April 05, 2019 07:46PM

When flocking, you use an adhesive that is colored to match the flocking material.

When skinning a grip with carbon or glass, the core won't show through unless your skin is too small and you've had to stretch it open slightly to get it over the core. Always better to have a skin that is slightly oversize and then slide it on and pull the ends to pull it down tight on the core.

Date: April 06, 2019 11:58AM

hi Tom..on eva i don,t use the flocking adhesive but use flex coat glue..then suspend the grip in a one gallon plastic jar with the flock inside..then just shake the flock onto the grip..epoxy will hold a lot more fiber making the grip feel flocky and more cushy than blowing the fiber onto a thin adhesive..to speed up curing i wrap the jar with a heating pad set on warm..in two hours it is ready to mount on the rod..the epoxy also gives the grip a little more firmness even though it,s a little cushy on the surface..

Date: April 06, 2019 09:30PM

Good technique.

Date: April 07, 2019 10:23AM

Thanks, Tom..the problem is that it,s so easy to do that you end up flocking everything..lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster