I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What are your Go-to supplies / Vendors in 2019?
Posted by: Joseph Ortiz (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 02, 2019 08:43PM

Could you please share your go-to products and suppliers of 2019?

I have been getting more serious about rod building these last few years, and feel like I have been burned a few times, by suppliers I thought were reputable and products that disappoint. Some brands, like fuji, I have come to blindly trust, liking all their products (until I tried their graphite arbors), other brands I really wanted to like, but have been consistently disappointed in the quality.

Outside of specialty builds I tend to gravitate toward Fuji reel seats/ guides/ thread, flex coat lite rod finish and I'm not really sweet yet on any other components or vendors. I would like to try new products but have fairly high standards and low on funds these days, so the endorsement of any products or vendors that you find consistently reliable would be much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are your Go-to supplies / Vendors in 2019?
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 02, 2019 09:15PM

Check out the sponsor list on the left. They have most everything needed.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: April 02, 2019 11:05PM

As Lynn said the sponsors on the left side of the page are all first class trustworthy suppliers , Tom doesn't let garbage on his site, (Except me but we're discussing vendors here not members) anyway , all the sponsors are superb and carry EVERYTHING you could possibly ever need . I have used many and have been exceptionally satisfied.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 03, 2019 12:56AM

Joseph,
From a component aspect, no one can go wrong with Fuji. Their commitment to the industry and vast R&D has produced products and complete systems all the others can only mimic. Yes, I employ Minima M guides on certain builds but if Fuji manufactured ringless guides, I would probably purchase them from Fuji. With the exception of MicroWave guides, virtually all advancements in guide technology has stemmed from Fuji’s involvement, dedication and persistence to the fishing world. While other manufacturers may produce very fine products, I never have to question it when purchasing anything from Fuji.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Joseph Ortiz (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 03, 2019 12:36PM

I thank everyone for taking the time to reply and share their thoughts. I was very tired when I posted earlier and think perhaps I could have worded things better! I was mainly trying to figure out if there were any new products or components you pros thought were worth trying.

I don’t produce the volume or have the margin for trial and error of every product that seems interesting. For efficiencies sake, I just meant to ask those who do.

BTW feel free to PM me if appropriate. I don’t want to bash or advocate for anyone, just efficiently learn.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: April 03, 2019 05:21PM

Joe the microwave guides are something to try. I like batson for blanks . you did not tell us what kind of rods you would build fly ,freshwater ,.saltwater , ect

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 03, 2019 06:04PM

It might be easier if when you see products that interest you, ask about them.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 04, 2019 09:31PM

My favorite - by far - is Karen at Bingham Enterprises. High quality personalized service.
Herb
CTS

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 05, 2019 02:02AM

Vendors and their customer service is a different, yet should be considered similar, subject. Some excel, others pale at best. If you do not receive your order from a vendor within 4 days, there are many other who will. Without naming names, a few of the biggest suppliers to the left are the worst at customer service and prompt shipping. Amongst the best is Anglers Workshop.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2019 10:34AM

The Rod Room has excellent customer service, and get their orders out very quickly.
Norm

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 06, 2019 09:03PM

if we,re voting, i have to say Carol at Utmost is one of the best, but all the sponsers do a great job..

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster