I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PG Over Thread Epoxy?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 01, 2019 12:39AM

While I have applied typical, 1-to-1 thread finish to wraps over blanks finished with PermaGlos numerous times without a single issue, what happens when inversely applied? The Xylene in PG is very aggressive and hence makes the mix quite “hot”. Of special concern is applying PG over “green” epoxy (cured less than 1 week). What are your experiences?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PG Over Thread Epoxy?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 01, 2019 11:30AM

Yes it can be done. I have down it a number of times on old rods were the wrap and label finish was dull and scratched. Scuffed using a scotch brite pad, wiped clean, and they applied. Brings the luster back. Not sure how it would work on a newly applied epoxy finish.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2019 11:34AM

Take an old test blank. Apply a coat of epoxy and let it dry for a week. Then try an application of PG and let us all know how it works out for you.

Good luck

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (172.58.59.---)
Date: April 01, 2019 01:17PM

Mark,perhaps you can tell us why you wish to do that. Are you looking for a tougher exoskeleton sort of effect?

Date: April 01, 2019 05:22PM

Thanks guys!
Chuck,
Out of necessity, not preferred or attempting some special effect. I need to clean-up some scratches and chips close to thread wraps and thought it might be better to coat over everything with PG. PG goes-off so quickly I am afraid I might not be able to pull masking tape off quickly enough to avoid an edge.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.sub-174-198-2.myvzw.com)
Date: April 01, 2019 05:47PM

I put a PG top coat over epoxy finish on CF handles as a protective coating. Just a few weeks ago I was in kind of a rush to finish a rod and was applying PG to a handle with a less than 24 hour old coat of epoxy. I was about 1/2 way into it when I realized what I was doing may not be the smartest move considering how PG is. I noticed the PG seemed like it was cutting into the epoxy but no noticeable damage was occurring so I hurried and got it done, then prayed everything would turn out good. It did. I can’t say the PG actually did cut into the epoxy but it did have an odd feel as I brushed it on. While everything worked out for me in this instance, I will wait at least a couple days before I top coat epoxy with PG again. I have done it with other rods well within a week and never had any problems, on this rod being less than 24 hours, I feel I may have gotten lucky. Based solely on my own experience, I wouldn’t be worried on any epoxy finish that is beyond 2-3 days and genuinely hard and tack free to the touch.

Date: April 01, 2019 10:02PM

Scott,
Thank you for your time and insight. I should have been more explicit when asking about the typical 1-to-1 thread epoxies as opposed to the typical 4-to-1 structural epoxies. Coming from the composite industry, I have more experience with the latter than thread finish. While I am aware the overwhelming majority of rod builders use PG to coat their foam-core CF grips (constructed with structural epoxy), I was concerned with the softer, flexible thread finish epoxy being attacked by the PG.
Norman has had good experiences applying PG over well-cured thread finish so that is comforting to know. I guess I will just have to test on a fresher finish as Roger suggested.
None the less, I certainly appreciate everyone’s help!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.sub-174-198-2.myvzw.com)
Date: April 02, 2019 08:06AM

I was referring to 1-1 thread finish. Flex Coat to be exact.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 02, 2019 04:44PM

It will work, but I wouldn't do it before the finish is fully cured. I also think PG would bleed under tape.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: April 22, 2019 05:14AM

Sorry im a touch late to this one.. Yes it works fine.. In my picture gallary is a biohazard rod done this way.. I was haveing sone serious issues with waves.. I am q0x better at applying epoxy now, but i was on attemp 5 at that point.. Maybe 6.. At the time i felt mlre comfortable with PG the thread finish.. So i rushed the last crappy coat.. Sanded the entire epoxied area for the 3rd time.. Nearly to the thread.. Took the grit back to atleast 2000, the epoxy had that kind of tacky when warmed thing going on as it was quite green, less then 14 hrs.... Applied the gloss, rod looks perfect.. And holy crap it looked like a glass tube.. Still does..

So yes.. You can definatly do it.. When applying epoxy OVER PG, remember to wait a little.. Nothing worse then having a perfect looking epoxy job ruined by gas off from the gloss..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster