I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting reel seat
Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 31, 2019 05:27AM

Newer builder. Just looking for tips from the pro's on cutting a reel seat. I am using a Fuji TVS TJK17 spinning seat with hidden thread sleeves and a carbon fiber insert. I need to cut the threads and the carbon fiber insert to make things fit. I suspect I can use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel on both. Just looking for opinions on it and should I tape these especially the CF insert to minimize the chance of cracking, or should I slide the insert in and cut them both together.

Thanks Stan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting reel seat
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 06:54AM

Stan,
Yes, an abrasive cut off wheel on a Dermel tool will work fine.

Before cutting any threads off of the spinning seat, be sure that this is what you want to do. Different reels need different length threads on the seat to fit. Just be sure that for any reel that you might ever plan to put on the rod, you will have sufficient threads to allow for the reel to mount.

When I first started building, I made the mistake of cutting a reel seat too short. A couple of years later, when I had a different reel to put on the rod, the foot of the reel seat was too long. I liked the reel and ended up using a Dermal tool to shorten the foot of the reel so that I could use it on the rod, but I never liked to do that.

As a result, ever since that incident, some years ago, I seldom, if ever remove any threads from a reel seat. Your choice.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2019 08:13AM

Stan

The Dremel is my choice, I would wrap tape around the seat and cut along the tape edge to ensure the end face remains perpendicular to the length of the seat. Then I would smooth out the end by hand with 400 grit emery.

You may cut them together or separate whatever is most convenient for you.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.cluster-n.websense.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 01:35PM

Thanks Roger, I figured a Dremel would do the trick. I did mount the intended reel on the seat and that confirmed to me that I needed to cut the threads. I was frankly surprised how much I needed to cut. Whats the old carpenters motto, measure twice and cut once, not the three stooges motto, I cut it again and its still too short! Should be OK.

John I thought the tape was the way to go and thanks for confirming it!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 09:14PM

Stan,
When you do the measuring, do not measure with the reel mounted in the reel seat.

Rather, open the reel seat and place the reel flat in the seat. Then, close the reel seat just to the end of the reel. That way you will be able to just drop the reel onto the seat and tighten it up.

If you measure the seat with the reel mounted, you may find that on a finished rod, you will not be able to open the seat far enough to get the reel into its position on the reel seat.

Good luck

Posted by: Stan Wasik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 01, 2019 04:14AM

Roger

Thank you for being so helpful. After rereading my original post I realized I should have been more detailed. I am using that seat along with the hidden thread hood cover and back stop lock nut which requires the CTC carbon thread cover. Assembling that with the base ring and cap ring, when I mount the reel and close the hood to lock it down, the threads are long enough that they meet the cap ring and push it off the CTC. That's the reason for cutting the threads to shorten the seat, so that when everything is tightened there is enough room.

Your post about mounting the reel and tightening the hood just enough to drop the reel in makes perfect sense. That way when I lock the hood down then the back stop thread cover, there should be plenty of room that the threads will not contact the cap ring. Its those little details that help us all out and I hope this post helps others that may want to use that particular setup.

Thank you my friend and much appreciated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 08:54AM by Stan Wasik.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster