I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pump vs syringes
Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: March 31, 2019 09:34AM

does anyone use a pump on the rod finish instead of syringes .I tried with bad results I did 10 pumps of each them mixed it is tacky 2 day later it was flex coat high build .if anyone uses them what are the tricks.

thank you in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pump vs syringes
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 09:46AM

I have used the pumps for years with no problem. Make sure you are letting them come all the way back up before you pump again.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2019 11:40AM

You have to be very slow and steady with the pumps. Also, if you have not used them in some time, it is important to sort of "prime" them before you start the actual mix. It is possible for one or the other component to draw down a bit in one or both pump shafts which leads to the first pump being less than a full stroke of material.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2019 11:52AM

David

The syringes are more accurate for measuring epoxy but one has to be very careful because some syringes may have silicone lubrication on the plunger, which can cause fish eye if it contaminates the epoxy. If you do not know the source of the syringes it is recommended to wash out the syringes with solvent or soap and water before use.

Have fun
John

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 01:28PM

I use pumps for my West System structural epoxies, and as Tom says, You have to be very careful to "prime" the pump first. That means that you will waste some - unless you dump it back into can/bottle.

Unless the ration is other than 1:1 I would use the syringes. FlexCoat syringes and reliable.
Herb

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 01:31PM

Near thirty years with pumps now, neither my wife or I could ever get syringes to work for us.

Posted by: Mark Warnke (---.car2-wispds4-pool9.amplex.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 03:21PM

One thing to remember for either pumps or syringes is that if you don't use them for a while they may skim over in the uptake tube.
Usually the resin seems to skim over more. This will cause the opening to be smaller, seems to affect the pumps more often,
but something to watch for in both methods. Especially if your rod shop is cool in temp and the resin gets thick anyways.
Mark

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2019 11:38AM

David,
If you do use pumps, just to a complete clean up of the pumps once a month or 6 weeks and you should be good to go all of the time.

When doing clean up like this - I always use XYLENE out of doors.

Xylene is the solvent that works very well with epoxy thread wraps.

Alcohol, on the other hand simply does not do a good job of cleaning up epoxy rod finish because the alcohol never really mixes with the epoxy.

On the other hand, Xylene is commonly used as a thinner for the epoxy and it works well with that material.

p.s.
But, if you use syringes, they are much simpler to clean up. Also, the syringes are quite inexpensive so if they get plugged up and reluctant to use, it is easy to toss them and use a fresh pair of syringes.

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 01, 2019 11:45AM

I bought a pump set last year to try, but didn’t fit the threads on my Threadmaster bottles so I have not used them. Never had any problems with syringes.
Norm

Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: April 01, 2019 05:38PM

I tried a test cup this time I took my time and made sure that the pump came all the way back up and it harden fine . I used syringes for years with few problems.

Thanks again everyone for the help

David Parsons

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: April 02, 2019 09:54AM

You can microwave the bottle with syringes attached and get everything flowing again. No sparks.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2019 11:19AM

Pumps in the microwave , 10 seconds no sparks , resin clear again and thanks for reminding me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster