I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wrong stripper guide on a custom build.
Posted by: Mark Danner (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: March 30, 2019 07:10PM

So far I have gotten 2 rods custom built through a local builder. He is not new to the game and has been doing it for like 15 years. Well I am to the point where I want a 3rd rod and I am working with him on the specs. He told me the guide train sizes that he plans to use. To get an idea of the guide sizes I started comparing one of the custom rods he built to the guide height chart on Anglers Resource. The rod I was comparing is a spinning rod that is 8'3" with Torzite guides. The reel is a Sustain 4000 with 15lb braid. Since Torzites have a larger ID I told him to go with a 16 - 8 - 5.5 guide train instead of 20 - 10 - 5.5. I measured the guide height for the stripper and it was like 32 mm...a little short of the listed height of 43.3 on the chart. I went back and measured the OD of the guide and sure enough its a 12 not a 16. I have used this rod quite a bit and it is the farthest and smoothest casting rod that I have. I have not really paid attention to look for line slap on the blank (plus I fish at night a lot). This rod launches 1oz swimbaits effortlessly. Is it worth even mentioning it to the guy since the rod is performing so well? I know he will offer to fix it immediately. Is this one of those if it ain't broke don't fix it situations? I would think if the casting performance was being diminished by the smaller guide it would be pretty noticeable right? I could film it with my GoPro and use slow motion to see how the line is flowing. I think the fact that he load tests everything is why the rod still works so well with the smaller guide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrong stripper guide on a custom build.
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2019 07:57PM

Isn't it a risk vs reward thing? What have you to gain for an otherwise well built rod that casts "effortlessly" and the "farthest and smoothest"? And what do you risk with a correction / repair? What if the corrected rod does not cast as well as it did? Then what?

Posted by: Chase Killingsworth (---.pools.cgn.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 30, 2019 08:04PM

So the rod in question is one of your favorites and best performing, and you never felt that is was wrong until you compared it to another? Fish it if you like how it performs. If your not happy have him change it.

I don’t have near the experience as a lot of builders here, but I know that 10 builders can build the same rod an none will be the same.

Date: March 30, 2019 08:08PM

Donald, I definitely agree. I am leaning towards if it ain't broke don't fix it. I guess I was just wondering if maybe I was missing something. The more I learn it seems like ring height and placement is more important than the diameter...within reason. What are the issues with having a stripper guide that was too small? Just line slap on the blank? Or could the line actually tangle on the guide itself? Then the next time I use it I will pay attention to those areas and see if I am having any of those issues. While it is the farthest casting rod I have it is also my longest rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2019 08:13PM

You're overthinking it, don't fix what isn't broke. Have you tried mono, or fluoro on it? Will you ever? That may be when you start noticing something you don't like since your using a 4000 reel.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 30, 2019 08:50PM

If you can feel the difference and like it but you can't measure it don't change a thing until you feel differently.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 30, 2019 09:09PM

A Sustain 4000 with 15 pound braid will cast into the next time zone with a 16 stripper or 20 stripper , trying to distinguish a difference is a lesson in futility . I use a 25 size stripper on my eleven foot surf rods and my reels spool diameter is close to twice the size of the 4000 Sustain , why does it work so well ....because i also use light braid under 20 pounds . Only go with guide sizes big enough to get the job done , only go larger IF you intend to use different reels and heavier lines. I also downsized my runners using KT 5's , i use to use 5.5 and size 6 runners.

That being said i also agree with everybody else, keep the rod and be happy , a 20 instead of a 16 is no big deal . Only if you were very very specific in your instructions to use a size 16 stripper would i bother to say something . The builder is going the smart route by using a 20 instead of a 16 since it's more forgiving to different reels and line sizes.

Date: March 30, 2019 09:17PM

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> That being said i also agree with everybody else,
> keep the rod and be happy , a 20 instead of a 16
> is no big deal . Only if you were very very
> specific in your instructions to use a size 16
> stripper would i bother to say something . The
> builder is going the smart route by using a 20
> instead of a 16 since it's more forgiving to
> different reels and line sizes.

Yeah I don't think I would have even asked if it was a 20. It's a size 12. I'm pretty sure I know what happened. He does not keep torzite rings in his shop. So whoever he ordered from shipped a 12 instead of a 16 and he just didn't notice it.

Date: March 30, 2019 09:21PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
> You're overthinking it, don't fix what isn't
> broke. Have you tried mono, or fluoro on it? Will
> you ever? That may be when you start noticing
> something you don't like since your using a 4000
> reel.

Yeah I will never switch to mono or fluoro on this setup. I specifically got it for a spillway that I fish. They have it fenced off so you need a long cast to get close to it... or hop the fence and risk a $400 trespass fine and court date. Im too old for those games. Lol

Date: March 30, 2019 10:42PM

Mark Danner Wrote:
> herb canter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > That being said i also agree with everybody
> else,
> > keep the rod and be happy , a 20 instead of a
> 16
> > is no big deal . Only if you were very very
> > specific in your instructions to use a size 16
> > stripper would i bother to say something . The
> > builder is going the smart route by using a 20
> > instead of a 16 since it's more forgiving to
> > different reels and line sizes.
>
> Yeah I don't think I would have even asked if it
> was a 20. It's a size 12. I'm pretty sure I know
> what happened. He does not keep torzite rings in
> his shop. So whoever he ordered from shipped a 12
> instead of a 16 and he just didn't notice it.

OMG , my apologies , i misunderstood , so he used a size 12 ring in the Torzite , i assume it's the 12 M and not the regular 12 which is shorter than the 12 M . Hey i think we all learned something and thats a size 12 ring even performs fantastic with lite braid but lets not forget you're using a Sustain 4000 which has the Propulsion spool lip and other tech that makes it throw much smaller coils than other similar size spinners . I also use the Sustains and Stradic's which are phenomenal casters so if using other spinners i wouldn't automatically assume a size 12 stripper will work as well .

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2019 11:34PM

I was experimenting a while back with a 6’6” ultra light rod build and just for the heck of it decided I would try a size KL12H stripper, KL8M, and KL5.5M for the reduction train and KB/KT 4 runners. I was really surprized how well the rod casted and performed, but i was using 500 and 1000 reels with very light braid. A KL12H is almost as high as an LV20, which I have used for a stripper on UL rods in the past. Braid is very forgiving, I guess even when using a 4000 reel.
If you like it keep it.
Norm

Date: March 31, 2019 12:15AM

A 500 to 1000 size reel ............., i know the 1000 , 2000, 2500 ,3000, 3500 4000, 4500, 5000, 5500 , 6000, 6500 , 7500, 8000, 8500 , 10,000 , 10,500 and 14,000 but a size 500 i am not familiar with , must be tiny , you could spool up 2 pound braid on that 500 size and hit Canada from Miss .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2019 12:17AM by herb canter.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 12:56AM

That because you surf fish. If you fished for pan fish you would be familiar with 500 sized reels. They are out there if you look for them
Norm

Date: March 31, 2019 01:53AM

That is correct , while i respect the legendary & exceptionally hard battling pan fish i choose to admire them from a distance.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 04:33AM

Your guide setup isn't out of the ordinary, I have spinning rods with a 10 stripper that I use 2000 - 2500 reels on that I've had long before there was thin braided line, they have always cast at least as well as my rods with larger guides with the mono line I used on them. Distance/performance comparisons have been reported right here years ago.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 07:01AM

Mark,
The setup for you = using braid is working perfectly, so no need to change.

However, just for a sanity check, take the two rods in question and then, put the same reel on both rods, but put on another spool with 15 lb mono on the reel.

Then, take your favorite lure and do some test casting with the two different rods. I would not be surprised that you find a significant difference when casting with mono. i.e. the smaller guides will likely have a significant amount of line slap, which will likely detract from your casting distance.

This will put your mind to rest to illustrate the difference.

The use of limp small diameter braided line, allows one to run significantly smaller guides with excellent results.

Take care

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2019 08:27AM

Mark

Sounds like you are looking for the "Boogieman" under your bed. If it "is the farthest and smoothest casting rod that I have" then my only worry would be is how often can I go fishing.

Enjoy the rod and....Have fun

John

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 31, 2019 08:37AM

I would not be discouraged if the 15 # mono doesn't work well. It won't work well on anything exc very large reel spools and guides. If your rod works well on 15 # braid, and 15 pound braid is sufficient, simply enjoy. Hitena has a 21 # braid that is only .006 diameter, and it casts very well, so you have a little more room to go with heavier braid. There may be other very fine 20 # braids too.

Posted by: Mark Danner (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2019 11:20AM

Thanks John, you are right I am looking for something that is not there. Sometimes i get so wrapped up in to numbers and specs that i don't see what is in front of me. Lol

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2019 04:37PM

How can I determine the "wrong" - and right - guide sizes for a particular blank? Should I depend upon a particular manufacturer or rod builder? If so, which one?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster