I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson Rx4 BP1264f Blank as a spin surf
Posted by: Steve Cassick (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2019 09:11PM

I have a Batson Rx4 BP1264f I'd like to use as a Surf Spin. It's a 10'6", rated 1/2-2 oz , 10-20 lb. It will probably be matched with a 4000 series reel. Has anyone used a downrigger blank to make a spinning surf rod, I'm thinking 20-24 inch butt, kskss reel seat, carbon fiber split grip, SIC guides. Any experinces on trying a build like this??
Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson Rx4 BP1264f Blank as a spin surf
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 28, 2019 09:23PM

Good question for James Taylor.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 28, 2019 10:18PM

the blank doesn't know that it is a trolling rod or a surf rod if it fits your need build it and try it no reason it wouldn't work as long you don't get silly and try tossing heavier weight

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 28, 2019 10:33PM

As long as you stick to casting lightweight artificials it should be ok. If you fish bait your 2oz. rod will handle a 1 1/2 oz.sinker. I end up usually with a minimum 4 oz. sputnik (pronged) sinker to hold bottom when I fish bait from an open ocean beach. You may be undergunned.

Posted by: brian rossi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2019 02:10AM

What are you planning on throwing and targeting? Those blanks are rated for fishing stinkers off a boat. The rating is accurate for that but you're not going to be able to cast anywhere near 2oz with any power. I built one for the surf on a BP1265f. It's a fun rod for light lures and smaller fish if that's your plan.

Posted by: Steve Cassick (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2019 05:17AM

I'm building it for tossing 3/4 - 1.5 oz spoons and plugs at the mouth of tribs for Lake Ontario Shore Run Spring Browns. Its as close to surf fishing as we get in the Great Lakes.

Posted by: Steve Cassick (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 29, 2019 08:53AM

I looked at the 1265f also Brian, I went for the 1264f because sometimes I go light leader, so I chose the 1264f over the slightly heavier action 1265f. How did your build go? I've worked out a basic formula for the blank but would be very interested in how you did your build. I was gonna run Fugi SIC dbl ft guides to the choke point and single foot SIC to a 8/10 tip. The handle length/ reel seat ctr. is my only unknown yet, I'm thinking somewhere between 20-26 inches off butt.buttons

Posted by: Steve Cassick (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 29, 2019 08:53AM

I looked at the 1265f also Brian, I went for the 1264f because sometimes I go light leader, so I chose the 1264f over the slightly heavier action 1265f. How did your build go? I've worked out a basic formula for the blank but would be very interested in how you did your build. I was gonna run Fugi SIC dbl ft guides to the choke point and single foot SIC to a 8/10 tip. The handle length/ reel seat ctr. is my only unknown yet, I'm thinking somewhere between 20-26 inches off butt.buttons

Posted by: brian rossi (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 29, 2019 11:39AM

Sounds fun, that blank should work well I would think. I used Fuji kl-h guides 25,12,8m,7l, size 5 runners. I don't think double foot guides are necessary and I'd also recommend smaller running guides if you aren't dealing with freezing temps. The blank is so light any added weight is pretty noticeable. Handle length and style is largely personal preference. My handle is 16 or 17 inches, can't remember. I'll go 21-24" on surf rods where you're holding the butt between your legs while working plugs. With this rod I'm throwing small lures and prefer to hold the rod tucked under an arm. With a longer butt it just seems to get in the way.

Date: March 29, 2019 06:21PM

What are the distinguishing characteristics of a "surf rod"?

Posted by: brian rossi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2019 11:32PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are the distinguishing characteristics of a
> "surf rod"?

Depends who you're asking and where in the world you're asking it.

Date: March 30, 2019 11:41AM

Brian: Good call. It helps when information seekers provide necessary information, including where the rod will be used, how it will be used, and what the target species are.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster