I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tips for olive branch?
Posted by: JODY HAHN (---.sub-174-234-129.myvzw.com)
Date: March 28, 2019 11:55AM

Can anyone give me any tips or secrets to ending an olive branch pattern, the pattern I have figured out pretty good but the bottom part where I transition to the next part either doesnt meet up good or looks like a jumbled mess. Any tips will help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tips for olive branch?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 28, 2019 12:32PM

Google "olive leaf rod wraps" and you will find demo's of how to do.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 28, 2019 05:12PM

Jody,
Phil’s suggestion is a very good one; a picture is worth a thousand words. Due to employing a modified vine leaf in quite a few of my wraps, I can offer a few additional details from a fair amount of experience which will help you considerably. If interested, please find an example in the Photo section, Thread Art, Mark’s Vine Leaf. Please note the rows of leaves start and stop where viewable in the photo.
1.) In most cases, a darker background (main thread) with a lighter vine leaf (accent thread) will look better than the inverse.
2.) There are two methods to introduce the accent thread. The simplest and most secure method is to employ the accent color as a trim band, add a few wraps of the main color to secure the accent color, cut the accent color leaving enough (12 – 18in) for the vine leaf and tape parallel with the blank, continue the main wrap until you want to start the vine leaf. With the other method, the accent thread may not be a secure. Start the main thread with 3 – 5 wraps. Tape the accent thread parallel with the blank and as close as possible to the last wrap of the main thread. Continue wrapping over the accent thread with the main thread until you want to start the vine leaf. The more wraps of the main thread over the accent thread, the more secure it will be. Whatever you do, avoid pulling on the accent thread too much.
3.) Perform the first row of leaves. Shorter leaves are easier to match up the ends and will make starting the next row easier. Additional tension on the accent thread will minimize how much each leaf sticks up above the main thread. For the last leaf, keep the accent thread almost perpendicular to the blank and make 3 -4 rotations of the main thread over the accent thread to lock it in place. While the space between the leaves and stem is a personal preference, less than three makes it difficult to line-up the leaves even if off-set.
4.) I omit the stem of the vine out of personal preference but if you want it, do it now. I also off-set the leaves because I prefer the look and it is easier to start the second row of leaves in the middle of the first row of leaves.
5.) The accent thread for the second row of leaves is wrapped around the main thread in the opposite direction as the first. You will need to pull the accent thread under the last wrap of main thread to start wrapping in the opposite direction so make certain you add one wrap to the main to keep everything even. Ending the second row of leaves is similar to the first row except the last leaf will be left over the main thread and will not be secured until making one more wrap of the main thread. Again, keep the accent thread almost perpendicular while wrapping over with the main thread for at least 3 wraps before pulling into its final position and then trim.
6.) Don’t forget to insert your pull-through loop when/where appropriate.

Hopefully this helps more than confuses you. I understand everything just explained just fine lol. Admittedly, it took a half dozen attempts before obtaining the results I wanted but you can do it.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: JODY HAHN (---.sub-174-234-129.myvzw.com)
Date: March 28, 2019 05:58PM

Thanks mark I appreciate the time u took to help me out

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 28, 2019 07:57PM

Watch Doc Ski Vids on You Tube. JT olive branch. Or Saw Blade Olive Branch.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 28, 2019 10:18PM

Doc Ski's video below , the second video was actually updated two days ago.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Rod Building
Derek Jones

(Updated 3 days ago)

The Olive Branch Technique developed by Jim Trelikes
14:24
A Few Simple tips and tricks
13:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2019 10:20PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 29, 2019 09:03PM

Thanks Herb! This is the saw blade one: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2019 09:08PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: JODY HAHN (---.sub-174-234-158.myvzw.com)
Date: March 31, 2019 07:39PM

The olive branch on my last rod turned out way better

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 02, 2019 12:25PM

Jody,
Do we get to see?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: JODY HAHN (---.sub-174-234-145.myvzw.com)
Date: April 15, 2019 07:31PM

I tried posting pictures, not sure that it worked. Should be under 2 piece Ferrell wrap

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster