I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly to spinning
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 27, 2019 09:43PM

Is there any way to determine if a fly blank will work for an ultralight rod? IE a 3wt or 5wt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly to spinning
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 27, 2019 09:56PM

A stick will work, but will you be happy? , I did it with a 5 wt years back an I was very happy with it good luck

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2019 11:25PM

Only if you build it and try it.

The first spinning rod I built was from a fly rod, turned out to be the best Speck (Crappie) rod I own.

Go for it.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2019 12:30AM

If casting performance and accuracy are critical there are better options. The ones I've built both for myself and others have been prone to want to lob cast unlike blanks designed for that purpose. If all you have.to do is hit the water, you'll be fine.

Date: March 28, 2019 09:49AM

The reason I ask is because it's hard to find a ultralight blank longer than 6'6" so the choices are limited.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: March 28, 2019 11:01AM

Paul Luechtefeld Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The reason I ask is because it's hard to find a
> ultralight blank longer than 6'6" so the choices
> are limited.

What action are you looking for? There are quite a few options.

Posted by: Joe Doyle (---.metcaps.com)
Date: March 28, 2019 12:45PM

Paul,

Google "A Spinning Rod for the Flats" by Capt. Fred Everson. He wrote an article that was published in Saltwater Sportsmen about ten or more years ago about this exact subject. I built a rod using a Forecast 7wt rod and trimmed 2" from the tip and 4" from the butt to end with a rod that was 8'6". I used it for casting very light jigs and unweighted plastics to small stripers and blues here in NJ. It was a fun rod to fish, but I put the thing away and have not seen it in years. I may have to dig it out again now that your post has reminded me that I have it.

Date: March 28, 2019 12:46PM

Seth a customer wants a 8 and a half to 9 foot ultralight mod fast or faster and doesn't want a crappie rod ( he says they wont handle 1 or 2 lb test line). I thought that since fly rod generally have a softer tip they might work.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 28, 2019 12:57PM

Could also look at the Phenix Elixer UL Blanks.
[www.mudhole.com]
I find fly rod blanks made into spin rods just feel a little too sloppy for me, but that just me. Some like that soft sloppy feel, I don’t.
Norm

Date: March 28, 2019 02:28PM

Thanks Joe will do that. Norman Miller he doesn't want to spend that much. Actually I dont think he will buy a rod but I'm trying to make the sale.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 28, 2019 06:33PM

Paul,
Thank you for posting this topic. I have finally discovered something Norman Miller and I disagree upon lol. A fly blank can make a great spinning rod. I too have had trouble finding ultalight blanks longer than 6ft and have built a number of spinning rods from fly blanks including my very first build. While I totally understand Norman’s “sloppy” description, I prefer to consider it a full-flexing-feel which I prefer when fishing mountain trout which is why I have developed a passion with vintage FG blanks such as Conolon. I feel the same as Norman and will agree with his comment though, “but that’s just me”.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 29, 2019 06:18PM

Fly blanks will work, but as they get longer they get sloppier. And accurate short casts are difficult. One can like "sloppy" all they want, but if it prevents accurate casts, there must be a better way to go.

There is an excellent 7 -2 Rainshadow Revelation spin- blank that I have not tried, but some of my friends have, and they love it for panfish. Fast action.

The American Tackle Matrix 4 weight 7 1/2 foot fly blank is a good one for this, as it is too short to get very sloppy, has a little faster action than most fly blanks, and works very well as an UL spin rod. I've caught many nice bass and walleyes on mine. In open water.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster