I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank weight rating
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 27, 2019 10:29AM

When fishing bait from the beach I usually use more weight than the blank is rated for and I lob-cast. When fishing lures from the beach I usually use lures lighter than the recommended weight and snap-cast. Is this a common practice, and which style of casting is assumed in the manufacturer's recommended casting weights?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank weight rating
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2019 11:19AM

There is a lure or casting weight provided precisely because different weight amounts require different casting input. Figure that the sweet spot is squarely in the middle, but with a bit of judicious use, the blank will handle upper end of the weight range, and with a bit more power or snap from the caster, the blank will handle the lower end of the weight range.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 27, 2019 02:11PM

Phil Ewanicki:

" Is this a common practice, and which style of casting is assumed in the manufacturer's recommended casting weights"

Unfortunately i do think it's quite common but it shouldn't be as throwing weight ranges outside the blanks " Sweet spot" doesn't provide the best results at either the high or low end of it's ratings . If you know that 98% of the stuff you throw is in the 3 to 5 ounce range a blank rated 2-6 oz would be ideal . Most blank manufacturers consider a standard over the shoulder cast as a cast that most will be utilizing not any of the advanced maximum distance power casts .

Date: March 27, 2019 03:48PM

Fly rod blank ratings are even more misleading, especially if you need to cast more than 30 feet. Rods and blanks advertised as, say, "the most powerful 6 wt blank/rod made" are as silly as "the strongest ten-pound test line made". A solid double-haul enables a fly angler not only to double his casting distance but to make effective casts with rods which are WAY underlined.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2019 09:45PM

The rod manufacturers do the best they can to identify their products but they have no control of how the user uses their products.

The user of any product from hammers to rod blanks will eventually figure out the limitations of he item and works within these limits. They may break a few in the process or the item just dose not work but at the end of the day limits are established, the item is utilized to the content of the user and life goes on.

If what you are doing works for you then you are good to go.

Have fun

John

Date: March 29, 2019 07:08PM

If we are to share information we must agree upon what terms mean. Does the first 30 feet of a six weight fly line weigh 160 grains or 218 grains? Does ten pound test line test at 10 pounds or 23 pounds? Is a surf rod built to fish in the ocean or in a creek? Sooner or later we have to agree about what common terms mean or we just babble at one another.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2019 08:23PM

About 10 years ago a rod company made a line of blanks and they only offered a line test suggestion, when asked why they didn't put out all the other specs, they said they figured anyone that was interested in using this high end product would know enough to figure the rest out themselves. I kind of liked that approach, and had no problems figuring out what I could and could not do with the finished rods after I built them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster