I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which blank?
Posted by: josh keller (---.hsd1.wv.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2019 09:50PM

hey guys, looking to build a rod for 1/4 oz crankbaits, 1/4 and 3/8 oz spinnerbaits. prefer to use only north fork composites blanks. I really only fish for river smallmouths, however they are pretty large and aggressive so some power will be needed. anyone have any suggestions? debating on going with the delta lmx CB701-1, as its a moderate action. my only concern is its rated down to 1/16 oz, will be undergunned fishing for 4+ lb smallies with 1/4 - 3/8 oz spinnerbaits? thanks guys.

other considerations would be the SJ 705-1 (Delta LMX) rated for 3/16 to 5/8 oz, even though its a spin jig and a little faster action.

and the xray 733 that ive built several spinning rods on and love, but havent built any casting rods on yet. I have built a 736 xray casting rod but i believe it would be a little too heavy to fling 1/4 oz crankbaits or spinnerbaits in a breeze.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which blank?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2019 10:44PM

Josh,
Go with your first choice. It is a good one.
If you get a big fish on a light rod, it is easy to get the fish in. Just point the rod straight toward the fish and winch it in. It will be a great choice.

Lots of cases of folks catching rather large fish on ultra light rods.

Good luck

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: March 27, 2019 10:20AM

The blank doesn't care how you built it, or what you throw on it, I see no reason you can't get the information you need on your xray rods built as spinning rods. Your looking for information, not a long term fishing tool.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: March 27, 2019 10:20AM

Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2019 12:37AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 27, 2019 03:52PM

If you are into catch-and-release you do not want to employ the lightest rod and lightest line to fight your fish - especially when the water warms up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2019 10:48AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Curtis Hollowell (---.lsan.ca.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 29, 2019 06:15PM

Hello Josh,

I know you said you wanted to stick with NFC..I like them too. Perhaps another good choice for your build may a Bushido CB 72/6-12 or the CB 72/8-15. Both are great cranking rods and aren't too heavy on the wallet.

Best regards,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster