I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for vintage "Flex Guides"!!!
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 26, 2019 08:09PM

I started a new topic, “Vintage Conolon Build Date” on 03/23/2019, requesting information to as to when my rod was built and also the guides used. Don Mang afforded me with copies of the first few pages of the 1958 Conolon catalog, one of which showed the double-leg-single foot “Flex Guides” wire guides used at the time. Thank you so much Don!!!
The butt guide was missing when the rod was given to me and someone had previously replaced that one with a double-foot, evidenced by the remaining wraps. I would like replace the present butt guide with one as installed at the Conolon factory in the 50s. This is my most cherished rod.
Do any of you have, know someone who has, or can lead me in the correct direction to someone who might have any “Flex Guides”? Beside the rod deserving the proper guides, the Flex Guides are rather unique and I really like them. I would be willing to purchase a few sets if available.
Please help me out; rattle some cages and dust off that old rod building Rolodex. I will be gratefully indebted.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for vintage "Flex Guides"!!!
Date: March 26, 2019 09:23PM

Allow me to add the full name of the guides is,”Conoloy Flex Guides”.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2019 09:24PM

Aetna Foulproof Guides?

Date: March 26, 2019 11:04PM

Tom,
Thank you for the interest and hopeful assistance. After viewing the photos from my other post, Norman Miller stated the guides were similar but not exactly the same as the Aetna Foul Proof guides. Please view the four pictures under Miscellaneous, Mark’s Conolon. The copy of a page from the 1958 Conolon catalog I received from Don Mang shows the exact guides as on my rod and they were named, ”Conoloy Flex Guides”, not Conolon but Conoloy. If Conolon had the guides manufactured solely for them, I would guess I would be hard pressed to find any now. I have to remain hopeful as it means quite a bit to me. Thanks for any enlightenment!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2019 08:29AM

Interesting they would use the term "Conoloy" which seems almost a play on the material used for making the FoulProof guides - Monel.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 27, 2019 02:40PM

I was looking into them for you last night.. Im waiting on some emails..

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2019 10:33PM

Mark, Check the photos in Misc. I only have these four guides. Sizes: 12, 10, 8, & 7.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: March 28, 2019 02:21PM

Anthony, thank you for taking the interest and time. I am anxious to learn of your findings.
Dennis, yes, those are the style guide I am looking for! Although the wire gage of your guides appears to be bigger, many women complain that pictures of them make them look fatter lol. While I am in need of a size 16-20 for this rod, I would be interested in purchasing the four you have if they are available.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 28, 2019 02:38PM

Im still waiting.. I have a thing for conolon rods, they seem to find thier way onto my bench often.. The history of the missilite is really interesting if you havent read up on it, i suggest doing so.. I spent about 2 hours going through my history trying to find the article i read, it gave the names, dates, previous careers, etc. Of everyone who started the company.. Including a paragraph on creator of the guides.. If i come across it again, ill be sure to email you the link.. Best way to find a guide that looks alot like another is doing a search including the creators name.

Date: March 28, 2019 07:56PM

Mark, Just the opposite. These guides have a wire size that of a small paper clip. Available, Yes. ([email protected])

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-14.myvzw.com)
Date: March 28, 2019 08:45PM

Dennis.. Your the man, it amazes me some of the stuff you got

Date: March 28, 2019 09:22PM

Anthony, That's because I don't throw anything away. But someday it will.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-15.myvzw.com)
Date: March 28, 2019 11:28PM

Ha.. My address can be your dump ;) lol

Date: March 28, 2019 11:38PM

I'll put you on the list.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: March 29, 2019 02:46PM

Hey Anthony,
Don’t be jumping in on my guide find! Lol
Dennis,
Maybe those women were correct about pictures of themselves. I will contact you by email. Thank you.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-12.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2019 02:59PM

Lol ive gotten stuff from him before, i was waiting for him to post.. He was my next contact acually.. Lol

its ok.. I like to share :)

Date: March 29, 2019 08:59PM

Mark and Anthony, I didn't even know I had those guides until I saw the photo, then I started looking through my bins. I haven't seen those guides in 15 years. It was the photo that jogged my memory.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster