I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Basic Q: Rod Action & capability in landing fish more quickly
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 26, 2019 01:07AM

I am sure this is quite elementary but I can't figure it out.

Two rods of the same power, identical lines, reels, lures - and same drag setting.. The only difference is that one rod is fast and the other bends all the way to the handle.

WHY is it that the fast rod seem to control and land the fish more quickly? If the drag is the same, is not the fish feeling the same pressure? Should not both land the fish equally quickly?

THanks for any insight as to how rod dynamics impact how easily one can land a fish - if both are set at the same drag setting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2019 01:08AM by Mo Yang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Basic Q: Rod Action & capability in landing fish more quickly
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 26, 2019 02:04AM

Mo,
You have successively, hopefully innocently, opened Pandora’s Box! Most present-day fishermen employ fast-action CF rods to whip their quarry in short accord. I profoundly prefer to play the fish with a more full-flexing FG rod. To each his own! While the fisherman using the modern, state-of-the-art CF rod may land the fish more quickly, I guarantee I will have more fun!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2019 08:23AM

Fast action rods will flex all the way into the handle area. Action is progressive.

There is a lot more to it. The RodMaker article on Stand-Up rods delved into the specifics of how the effective lever length changes as the rod flexes more and more deeply. Loads on the fishermen decrease while the amount of line recovered per pull or pump lessen. Too much to go into here.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 26, 2019 09:54AM

If you plan to release a fish it's better to land and release it as quickly as possible. You should be able to apply as much "pull" with a full flex rod as you can with a fast action rod, since pull is pull, whether exerted by a barrel stave or a buggy whip. I suspect the important variables are the strength of the line and the skill of the angler.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2019 10:39AM

Hello Tom.

Are you talking about the article "Complete Guide To Building Stand-Up Rods". By Tom Kirkman Volume 23, Issue 3, Page 22?

Or are you talking about "A Guide For Building Stand-Up Rods". By Tom Kirkman Volume 5, Issue 6, Page 22?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2019 10:44AM by Robert A. Guist.

Date: March 26, 2019 10:49AM

Either.

There seems to be some idea that fast action rods won't bend into the butt or handle area. This is not accurate. "Action" describes where the rod INITIALLY flexes, only. Not where it will eventually flex if you continue to apply more and more load to it.

There's a lot more to it, but at least from the standpoint of which rods whip fish more quickly, outside of the really big water stuff, what Phil posted above is very applicable.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 26, 2019 11:26AM

Let's talk about feel.

With the same fish on the line - the stiff rod makes you feel like you are applying a lot of pressure because the fish has all the leverage. The fulcrum is acting in the fish's favor.
With a soft rod that flexes into the butt - the fish's leverage is much less - but you are applying the same amount of pressure to the fish.
Mark - I think the opposite. But - hey - as long as we catch something.
Herb

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 26, 2019 01:06PM

The rod has to "flex" from the tip to the grip, pure physics. The max moment occurs at the grip and continuously changes as you engage the fish..

With many "fast action" rods most of the displacement or "flex" occurs in the upper third of the rod. The displacement decreases as it approaches the grip and in some rods it is very difficult to see or even measure and gives the appearance of being zero.

It all boils down to how well you work the rod by presenting the lure and handling the fish once hooked.

Have fun

John

Date: March 26, 2019 03:01PM

Just an aside, slow action rods are not necessary soft nor are fast action rods necessarily stiff. It is the taper and lay-up of the rod that determines it's action, not the power. Action and power are independent of one another.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 26, 2019 05:10PM

Mo, what kind of fish are you in a hurry to land with those pencil thin rods you make..lol.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 26, 2019 09:58PM

Thanks Everyone.

Tom - all your comments make immediate sense. Understand.

Regarding flex, it is a matter of degree. All rods flex to the handle, but fast action rods flexes less proportionally to the entire flex of the blank.

Phil, I hear you. That's what I think too. However, there are a lot comments by anglers that fast action rods land and control the fish faster - with the same drag setting. I was wondering why as 'pull' is 'pull'. But I think Tom probably solved it for me - faster rods does take in more line per 'pump' - if the angler pumps his rods - and thus can pull in fish faster. However, it takes more effort. So if we talk in terms of 'gearing', fast action rods is more high geared while slower action rods are lower geared. The net work is the same - one just expends more force over shorter time.

Thanks everyone.

Posted by: Chris Zarza (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2019 11:10AM

To add on to your question,

Which rod will perform better at casting the same lure weight?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster