I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Vintage Conolon Build Date?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 23, 2019 04:40PM

This is a re-post from a couple years ago in hopes of someone out there can afford me with an idea of when this vintage Conolon was actually manufactured. Also, have any of you seen these unique, double-leg-single-foot guides and/or know of a source that may have some? Please see the four pictures in the photo section under Miscellaneous, Mark’s Conolon.
As many of you know, I have developed a deep passion for the old Conolons built between the late 1940s and late 1960s. This rod was given to me and is the one which started my love affair with the old FG Conolons and Tennessee handles as well. If you have personal knowledge or can steer me to someone who might know, I would appreciate being enlightened.
The rod is 6”6’, has one aluminum ferrule, and employs an 11in Tennessee grip with two tapered aluminum reel rings and has 5 COF guides plus a tip top. The decal says, “Conolon Missilite”, “9307”, “Titlist”. The blank color is very light brown with a finer yet more pronounced FG weave pattern rather than the common darker examples which leads me think it may be one of the earliest Conolons, possibly late 1940s.
Thank you for your time, concern and hopeful reply!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vintage Conolon Build Date?
Posted by: Don Mang (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 04:48PM

Mark,
You may find the information on that rod, at the Mitchell Reel Museum forum. Their is a thread their on Conolon rods. Just join and you can post. To add pictures they have to be 800 pixels.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 06:57PM

The guides look similar to the old Aetna Foulproof guides, but not quite. I don’t think Aetna made guides in the 40s or 50s. So if these are Aetna guides and if original to the rod, then the blank was not made in the 40s or 50s, but I may be wrong. The Aetna Foulproof are hard to find. I used to have a bunch of them but gave them away a couple of yrs ago to someone in Michigan who used them on salmon rods. PacBay made a look-a-like guide called the Twister, don’t know if they are still made.
Norm

Date: March 24, 2019 01:01AM

Don and Norman,
Thank you for taking the time to assist my information quest. Both of yours information, insight and suggestions will be employed in my quest to discover the build date. With Conolon, actually Narmco in the late 40s, being the premier FG authority during and after WWII, I am surprised and disappointed there is not more information available to pin-point build criteria such as I am seeking. After all, Conolon/Narmco basically invented tubular FG fishing blanks using their WWII experience and knowledge of building light weight FG aircraft parts and missile bodies (hence their early rods and blanks named “Missilite” such a mine).
While I peruse the leads afforded by Don and Norman, please ask around to hopefully discover someone who is knowledgeable with vintage FG rods and blanks. I will be deeply indebted.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 01:05AM

Mark, Please check vintagerods.com

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: March 24, 2019 01:34AM

Dennis,
I have been dealing with Tish and her husband at Vintage Rods for quite awhile now. Great people, product and service.

Mark Talmo

Date: March 24, 2019 05:59AM

Mark if you'd like email me the pictures. I have a friend that is no longer on the forum I mentioned, he does have a lot of knowledge on this subject. I do know that he was having medical problems, with in his family. I do expect to hear from him soon. I'll forward your information to him to see what he knows.

Date: March 24, 2019 12:40PM

Don,
Thank you for your offer and assistance. I will graciously email the photos to you.

Mark Talmo

Date: March 24, 2019 12:52PM

Tom K.,
I am surprised, if not mildly disappointed, you have not responded, if not with build date ideas, with information on these rather unique guides. Your knowledge and experience with anything related to rod building is as vast as anyone’s. I am having difficulty deciding if the guides were intended for fly or spin. Any thoughts?

Mark Talmo

Date: March 24, 2019 01:33PM

Mark, they were used on spinning, casting, and fly rods. Even on boat rods, and surf rods. The largest size of the guides was about 2.5” ( over 60mm) in diameter down to a small size of at least 1/4” (about 6 mm) Their diameters were measured in inches vs millimeters, and were made of Monel stainless wire in two different gauges, light and heavy. Back in the day Orvis used them on some of their fly rods. Fenwick used them as well a number of other rod manufacturers. At the time they were quite popular not only because they were light but also because they would flex with the rod when loaded. They had a foul proof design, that supposedly shed line coils.
Norm

Date: March 24, 2019 01:55PM

Here is a thread on Aetna foul proof guides. One of the posts by Vic cutter gives some history on them. Hope this is of some help.. I had forgot they were a Gudebrod product.
Norm
PS it helps to supply the link. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2019 02:52PM by Norman Miller.

Date: March 24, 2019 02:57PM

Mark, from what I have found it seems that the Missilite rods were made by the National Research Manfacturing Co prior to being sold to Abu Garcia in 1960. So your rod was probably made in the late 1950 s. Here is a little history I found interesting. [www.geocities.ws]
Norm

Date: March 24, 2019 05:02PM

Norman,
You always come through for me! Both links you afforded were enjoyable to read and the photos revealed one or two rods almost exactly like mine. While developing and building FG parts for the military during WWII, Narmco referred to their parts as “Conolon”. I have not been able to discover where the name actually came from. You may be correct with your manufacturing date estimate. Dang, my rod may only be 60 years old rather than 70.
I sincerely appreciate your efforts. They mean a lot to me!!!

Mark Talmo

Date: March 24, 2019 07:10PM

Mark, here is another write up on Garcia Conolon history
[www.jprossflyrods.com]
The history Of fishing tackle is quite interesting.
Norm

Date: March 26, 2019 07:30PM

Thank you Don Mang. Your research has revealed the guides used on my rod are “Flex Guides”. I sincerely appreciate your efforts!!!

Mark Talmo

Date: March 27, 2019 08:11AM

Mark Talmo, glad you got the information you needed. Till coming here I've only been a Mitchell reel and Fenwick lover. Being a new builder I can only suck up information, and not contribute to the forum. I will how ever still be looking to help anyone, if it is only by my contacts networking. Building a rod was always something I wanting to do, now it's a disease that won't go away. Thanks for the mention Mark.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster