I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide size and spacing
Posted by: Rick Sankey (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 05:15PM

I have been asked about building a Trolling rod. He is not sure of the length yet so I am needing info for a 7', 8', 9', and a 10'6" blank which I would purchase from RODgeeks.
Thanks
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide size and spacing
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 07:04PM

Pretty open question? "needing info" If you need info on Rodgeeks blanks, go to their website first.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 07:53PM

Rick,
A trolling rod works just fine with a fiberglass slow action rod.
But, you need to know the fish that are being targeted, the lures being pulled and the line test being used.

But, the typical trolling rod can be built on some very inexpensive blanks and be really excellent rods.

Weight is a non factor with trolling rods. So you basically have your choice of guides to use as well. A typical trolling rod grip is ?EVA or Hypalon. Really don't want to use cork in a trolling rod because the cork just gets ripped up.

Have your client figure out the length and the amount of power that he wants in the rod and you can go from there.

If he does not know these things, then have him stop over at the local tackle shop where the rod will be used and talk to the folks at the shop to find out what sort of rods are being used for the local waters.

Good luck

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 08:26PM

A salmon rod, a walleye, and a tuna trolling rod aren't the same stick. You didn't say for what.

Posted by: Rick Sankey (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: March 23, 2019 11:00PM

Sorry didn't think about what it would be used for. Walleye is the target for him. I did look on RODgeeks but they did not list the Trolling rods like everything else. I could guess just thought I would ask.

Posted by: Bill Break (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: March 24, 2019 09:51AM

I just built 4 walleye trolling rods using the MHX S-Glass blanks with Minima T series guides.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2019 11:17AM

The rod will sit in a rod holder, unmoving, even if it's trolling with a downrigger. Why wouldn't just about any rod blank work just fine?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 12:36PM

Many kinds of trolling in the Great Lakes, etc. for walleye. Downrigger, Dipsy Diver, Planer Board, flatline, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something as I left the region over 30 years ago. All put different loads on the rods, the fish itself is not so important, many have commented negatively on their fighting ability.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 01:04PM

On my trolling rods I like to use ACID wraps on my guides , you don't get the twisting on the blank as much in the rod holder, just my way ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 05:17PM

Rick,
Why you are figuring things out, you might pick up one of these rods to give you some ideas.

Total cost of the built up rod is $20.

They have excellent reviews for a trolling rod.

[www.fishusa.com]

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 10:59PM

I personally troll walleye and salmon about 99% of my fishing time at this point in life. I dont bother build an custom rods for it bc I see no reason. The length and power are the only real requirements. Boat size also plays a part. My little 16 footer needs shorter rods than my 23 footer. I myself dont like anything over 7'6" no matter if its a dipsey rod, Lead core or onmy down rigger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster