I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR Concept guides
Posted by: Travis Genz (---.sub-97-42-192.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2019 12:33PM

Building a rod for a buddy and he is set on Recoil guides but has also been doing his research on rod building and wants me to use the KR Concept. Just getting expert advice in making sure that the KR Concept will still work without using the Fuji K-series guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR Concept guides
Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.61.---)
Date: March 21, 2019 12:43PM

Go to the Anglers Resource site in the left margin, open it, download the catalog, and read about all the systems used by Fuji guides. It's all there better than any of us could cover in a post. I will only add that Fuji systems and guides are all very good. Fuji is all I use except for fly.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: March 21, 2019 01:05PM

I don't think the recoil spinning guides are tall enough to plug and play with the KR Concept

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 01:23PM

Spinning rod or casting rod? What power? What reel and what type of line? I’m not a big fan of recoil guides for either spinning or casting, much prefer KR guides. Yes you can do a KR concept without using Fuji K guides, but those guides need to have similar specifications in order to get good results.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 01:38PM

After checking multiple sources for the REC guides trying to find the heights of them that would determine if they could possibly work for a KR build i have come up empty , their heights are not listed on their official website or Mudhole. Thats something that you need to know beforehand .

If your friend really wants a true KR concept rod the Fuji KR concept guides or the Pacific Bay Minima Match guides have been the guides of choice. As mentioned we need to know if this is a spinning or casting setup and if spinning what reel ?

Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: March 21, 2019 02:54PM

Herb Landenheim gave me the following REC Spinning Guide heights in this thread [www.rodbuilding.org]

REC Spinning
#16 - 25mm
#12 - 22mm
#10 - 18mm
#8 (in case you ever need it) - 13mm

Fuji KL-H
16 - 43.3
12 - 31.8
10 - 30.2
8 - 27.0

As you can see, they are not even close to the same height, so you can't use them in the same size and do the KR Concept. As already mentioned, Pac Bay Minima is a great option that plugs right into the KR Concept.

Posted by: Travis Genz (---.sub-97-40-193.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2019 03:37PM

Thanks everyone,

This site is never lacking knowledge that I really appreciate.

Sounds like he is more set on the KR than the recoils, so it sounds like the minimas are going to be his selection. I’m building the same setup as him for myself with the Fuji titianum torzite guides so we’ll see if the extra $$ really does make a better rod.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 03:52PM

Fantastic info Seth and to Travis , going with the official Fuji KR concept guides or Pacific Bay Minamas is the right choice and i think your friend will be exceptionally pleased.

Use the below link for KR guide layout software

[anglersresource.net]

NOT this link , the below link is for NGC guide placement software.

[anglersresource.net]

Some get the two mixed up because Anglers Resource has the NGC software link directly above the KR concept software link.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 21, 2019 04:45PM

Apparently there is no hard evidence any one guide type or guide placement makes any difference, only ads and hearsay. Pick the one with the best advertising or the cheapest one - whichever suits the user's dreams.

Posted by: Travis Genz (---.ellen2.drtel.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 06:51PM

Alright he is still fighting for the recoils... we are both wondering if anyone has used different guides on the same build? He’s wondering if we could do minima reduction guides and recoils on the tip.

We’re not worried about cosmetics as long as the rod preforms well.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 06:55PM

Travis Genz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alright he is still fighting for the recoils... we
> are both wondering if anyone has used different
> guides on the same build? He’s wondering if we
> could do minima reduction guides and recoils on
> the tip.
>
> We’re not worried about cosmetics as long as the
> rod preforms well.

Yes, you can absolutely do that

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 10:32PM

Travis,
Is your client going to be using braid on the rod?

If so, does the client know that the rod will be much noisier with braid with a none insert guide than one with an insert. i.e. both the recoil and the Pac Bay minima have no inserts.

By the way, can your client give you a reason why he wants the recoil guides?

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2019 10:33PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Travis Genz (---.ellen2.drtel.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 11:49PM

Not really a client, it’s a really good buddy of mine. we but ordered an immortal 6’2” MXF and I’m going to build mine with the Fuji titianium sic and his will be guides without the inserts. Not too concerned about noise. Really just trying to do some research to see if the inserts are beneficial when it comes to light weight fishing, because I have kinda gathered from this site that 10# braid on 1000 Stradic is really small. And it seems like a lot of the inserts are mostly for protection from elements. And since we are fishing from a boat and not getting much of anything on our lines we are thinking lightening the blank as much as possible is most beneficial.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 11:58PM

Travis,
A very very very nice, light rod blank. One of the best on the market.

With a blank that light, the difference in overall feel and performance with any of the guides listed is doubtful that could be felt.

i.e.
If you built two identical rods on this blank and built one with the Titanium Sic and one with the recoil, and then fished back and forth, while being blind folded, it would be doubtful that you would have a hard time knowing which one you fished with at the end of the day.

But, by all means, do the experiment and let us know.

------------------
I read your comment about not being too concerned about noise. But if you fish with both rods through the day, and catch some nice fish on each rod, you will likely be happy to grab the rod with the inserts on the next outing.

But, you need to test and it would be nice if you would let us know your thoughts about each. No question about it, every person is different. Every person has unique wishes and needs. So, absolutely build the rod with the components that you wish to build with; and enjoy the results of your labor.

Have a great day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster