I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TOP 3 SPEY RODS NO PRICE ISSUE FOLLOW UP
Posted by: Mark Emaus (---.cust.exede.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 06:01PM

What do the experts say on the best spey rods if money is no issue? Wat rod blank do you think compares to them? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TOP 3 SPEY RODS NO PRICE ISSUE FOLLOW UP
Posted by: Quinn Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 06:09PM

Truely an impossible question to answer. Like any fly rod it is a personal thing. However when I want a high end blank I usually go with R Meiser. I own a couple and have purchased a couple of others. Check out his website. Great guy to talk to as well.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 06:28PM

I second Meiser, he has been a the cutting edge of Spey development in the USA. As for good blanks, I prefer Batson's Spey line.

Date: March 20, 2019 07:07PM

Thank you Quin and Phil. This is why I asked the questions. I never knew about Meiser. Now Since a lot of high rollers would think of Sage or Winston, Do you think Meiser far exceeds them?

Posted by: Quinn Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 08:39PM

I don't think you can go about building the "ultimate" spey rod this way. It's a personal choice which comes down to casting style, type of water and skill level. Bob Meiser has designed blanks for a long time and does so for other companies besides his own. He offers several different blanks. He is super helpful picking out the right one. My go to rod blank is made by Angler's Roost and cost $90. It's their UHM 12' 7/8. I have two and like them. I also have one of his 13' 7/8 IM6 blanks. The IM6 blank has a better reputation but I prefer the UMH. My spey casting skills are not where near as good as my overhead casting skill so perhaps I can't appreciate what others can. I have or had : Baston, TFO Deer Creek, Angler's Roost, R Meiser.

High end (meaning more expensive not necessarily better) blanks to consider:
R Meiser
Sage
CF Burkheimer
Winston
Thomas and Thomas

Mid priced blanks
TFO
Mudhole
Batson

Inexpensive blanks
Angler's Roost (if they reopen)
@#$%& site (I have a couple of these from "Rogers" I use as loner rods for salmon fishing, they work fine)

I'm sure I missed some but here is a start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 08:40PM by Quinn Canfield.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 01:28AM

Mark,
You've not mentioned any needs, or casting style preferences, or needs so I'm assuming your new to this. Go talk to R. B. Meiser, you'll find the biggest variety of blanks.that may match what you need, and the info necessary to get the right line, etc. to maximize your purchase success.

Date: March 21, 2019 09:11AM

Quin and Spencer, Awesome info!. I like the idea that it may not be the way to pick out spey rods. That is why I am picking you guys brains on my ideas. But, because of the thread, I have already been introduced to a spey rod that I didn't know existed, (Meiser). It is great that the experts think so high of the companies mentioned. I am not one that ventures into something without doing some research. I am retiring and I am pretty excited about starting a new hobby, (business) that can keep me sain. lol. I what a clientele that enjoys quality products. Right now, I own Sage, Winston, but I am practicing my rod building skills with Rainshadow. Living on a river, gives me great experience on testing new rods. Spencer, that is a great question for me to know. I am very new at this. But it is more about what the clients will want. I am pretty good at using all types of fly rods, (single and double handed). I can match lines and styles. So, again this is more about you guys who are experts at knowing what all these companies offer.

I welcome everyone's ideas to build the best rods imaginable. I have so much to learn.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 05:51PM

I just read everything i could find about Meiser , including all the info on his site , very interesting stuff . Guide choices are interesting and the warranty is spectacular especially being able to send in the rod every year for a thorough inspection and sprucing up .

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2019 06:11PM

Meiser has been using his own designs built by CTS for better than a decade now I guess, wouldn't surprise me if their factory blanks don't carry a bit of his knowledge in their designs.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2019 09:26AM

Anyone interested in CTS Spey blanks may contact me and participate in the discount I offer to only RB.org members.
Herb
U.S. Distributor CTS Rod Blanks

Date: March 24, 2019 07:09PM

herb, do you have a phone number to discuss options.?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2019 08:17AM

Mark,
Herb's Cell 561 866-2155
Mark - you may wish to un-hide your email.
Herb

Date: March 25, 2019 09:06AM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark,
> Herb's Cell 561 866-2155
> Mark - you may wish to un-hide your email.
> Herb

Thanks Herb I changed the email.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster