I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

measuring Epoxy glue
Posted by: Roger Keck (---.adams.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 02:53PM

Hey guys, i have another ? on paste type of epoxies. Seems like the vast majority of them come in 2 containers resin and hardener. Is there any secret(if any} of measuring exact equal portions. Seems like I'm just kinda eyeballing it.I just feel like I'm not getting equal portions. could i use some type of measuring spoon or something similar. This stuff is very sticky. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: measuring Epoxy glue
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 02:59PM

Don't know what adhesive you use, but the Rod Bond that I use can be "eyeballed ". I once heard Ralph O'Quinn say that it will still provide good adhesion at 60-40.. He said " a good walnut size glob of each, folded together".....and I'm positive he said "glob".

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 03:04PM

Roger,
Yes, there is a secret. Would you like me to share it with you?
Of course you do.
At any rate, the solution is simple.
Syringes.

I use plastic syringes are are about 1 inch in diameter. Then, I cut the end out of each syringe.
I mark one Syringe with an A, and the other syringe with a B.

To use, I simply put the end of the syringe, barely into the can of Glue and pull up on the handle. I use an equal pull up on each syringe for each container. Then, I push the glue out onto my mixing surface and wipe off the outside of the syringe with a paper towel. No need to clean up the inside of the syringe, as long as you don't get the syringes mixed up.

It is simple, easy, easy to clean up and 100% fool proof.

Similar to these:
[www.amazon.com]

If you have a surplus store around you can often pick them up for 25cents each.

Or, these and select the size you wish.
[www.amazon.com]

The glue that we use is pretty thick and stiff. Hence the need to remove the entire end of the syringe to be able to pull the glue into the syringe.

Take care

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 03:05PM

I also utilize the "Eyeball" method of measuring with Pro Paste epoxy and never had an issue , these types don't have to be dead on accurate like many rod finishes do , the " Looks about equal to me" is A OK , just mix them together well .

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 03:07PM

Most of epoxies used for gluing things together are very tolerant to differences in mixing ratios. A Glob of each that look about same size is close enough. If you want to be a little more accurate use measuring spoons. Finishing epoxies are quite different and require much more accurate measuring.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 03:46PM

I use a fresh Popsicle stick when I mix the paste. Put a X on one end of the stick on both sides, take the "X" end and get the part "A" and put in whatever you use to mix it, then clean it off with a paper towel and use the other end for the part "B" just try to get what looks like equal parts. This stuff is very forgiving and I have not had any problems with it getting hard. The main thing is to mix it up well as with any epoxy or polyester resin.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2019 05:10PM

Kitchen type measuring spoons are easy enough to use if you want to be fairly accurate with your measurements. However, as others have already stated, you do not need to be exactly precise in terms of the Gel epoxies.

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 06:28PM

I use a mellon baller from the $ store . . for the paste type like Rod Bond
syringes for liquid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 06:30PM by Bert Dluhy.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 09:07PM

2 equal sized blobs. No offense, but seriously, Melon baller?

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 20, 2019 09:30PM

Roger K.,
I agree with all previous replies to your question. While I realize mixing by weight can be, and usually is, totally different from mixing by volume, I have wondered if the “fudge-factor” is wide enough to allow measuring the less critical paste type epoxies by weight rather than suggested, approximate volume. To be honest, I usually just eye-ball it. I have mixed RodBond and ProPaste paste epoxies by weight without any noticeable differences or problems. Coming from the composite industry, I am knowledgeable of epoxy properties, mix ratios included but, admittedly, certainly not to the extent of Ralph O’Quinn.
To summarize my point /question for the masses; is the fudge-factor wide enough to measure the majority of typical 1:1 type paste-type epoxies by weight rather than by volume? If so, it would simplify measuring and mixing for many while avoiding fouling the wife’s measuring spoons and cups.
Gabriel touched on the subject recently concerning his product from Hitena USA.
Sorry to intrude on your topic, Roger!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 09:35PM

Lynn, an ice cream scoop is too big..lol.

Posted by: Roger Keck (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 06:35AM

Thanks for all the tips! Has anyone used pc-7 as a glue for rods? This stuff is really thick and sticky, Almost like tar! Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2019 08:23AM

PC7 is a very poor rod building epoxy. It is meant as a "gap filling" epoxy and our rod building assemblies and joints shouldn't have gaps to be filled. PC7 is also very heavy. Just not a product that most rod builders will ever need.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 05:00PM

Good one Ben, I have too much cleanup as it is!

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 05:25PM

I use a pallet knife with Rod Bond, an 1CC and 2 CC pumps with the flex coat. Thirty plus years cant remember the last time I missed a mix with either one. Have changed pumps from time to time of course.

Posted by: Jay Weissler (40.76.23.---)
Date: March 22, 2019 09:20AM

two small plastic spoons. just chuck them out when done. no clean up

Posted by: Tony Makris (4.16.215.---)
Date: March 29, 2019 03:44PM

For paste I go by weight, for glue I use a syringe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster