I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Writing on blanks
Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: March 20, 2019 12:18PM

For the experts out there, what are you using to write on the blanks? I've tried the Pilot Metallic X-Fine pens that Mudhole sells with pretty disappointing results. Put a layer of epoxy, let it dry, scuffed up the area I wanted to write on, and on the several attempts I've made I decided I was better off just wiping it away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Writing on blanks
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 02:17PM

Dr. Ph. Martins iridescent calligraphy ink. The best I’ve ever used, will not bleed or smear once it’s dry. I coat with epoxy or even Permagloss, works great.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 03:05PM

10-4 on Norman's comment.
Dr. Martins ink works well as does speed ball acrylic ink.
I use a pen and nib type pen with a fine nib to do the writing.
Good luck

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 04:41PM

Im with Roger

Date: March 20, 2019 05:42PM

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 09:08PM

Ph Martins.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: March 21, 2019 09:07AM

Norm and Roger, I don't know if I've ever told y'all this, but you're probably the two most helpful people I've ever met. Thank you both!

Roger, which nib do you like?

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 03:17PM

I also do the same as those 2 i use a leonard 40 england.. Least thats what it says on it lol getting your angle to have a decent flow rate gets some getting used to.. If you have flow problems add a drop of alcohol to the ink.. Thins it a little... Also when you first get your nib make sure you clean the tip very good.. They put protective oils on them for shelf life.. Also take the tip and swirl in on a block of wood when they are brand new.. Takes the verry fine point off so it doesnt catch and scratch the blank

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 05:02PM

X-2 Seth

Date: March 21, 2019 05:56PM

Seth,
I use the one that works the best for what I am doing.
The point that I am making is that there is no best nib.
When working on very small blanks like ice fishing blanks, I use the much smaller extra fine tips. But these tips leave a very thin line that works great for a very small blank, but not so much for a standard longer rod.
For those, I use the #5 standard nib.

However, I suggest that you initially purchase a selection and then try them all out on an old blank or a piece of fiberglass driveway marker rod which gives you a similar base to practice the writing.

The suggestions about keeping the nibs clean is very very important. The ink flows down the next to invisible line in the middle of the nib. Any slight blockage in that line and the ink will not flow.
Cleaner for the ink being used can be purchase at the same time as the ink. Use a cleaner that is compatible with the particular ink being used.

For all of the various inks and paint that I use, I have found that the best cleaner is Xylene . But, if you do use Xylene use it from a small container that you keep capped at all times except when being used. Also, use a fan to keep fumes away when using the material.

--------------------------------------------
On a side note:
Some years ago, I was in a surplus store and found a selection of glass bottles. Some of these bottles used a tapered glass stopper. In the past bottles of these types were used in labs to store chemicals. I picked up a few of these and over the years, I use these cup sized bottles to store DNA and Xylene on the bench where I am working. The stopper never stick, but they always maintain a chemical tight seal and are just the right size to keep a small quantity of this type material on hand.
[www.thomassci.com]

--
I have noticed on some videos that often DNA is stored in chemical push to obtain containers on the production line of rod building factories. With this type container, a paper towel is put over the flat top, depressed and the container pumps a small measured quantity of the material up through the top onto the application cloth or paper towel. A great way to store the chemicals in a easy to use container that remains sealed, except when obtaining the product.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster