I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Carbon fiber grip supplies
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.sub-174-228-13.myvzw.com)
Date: March 20, 2019 09:11AM

I bought a couple of kits from Mudhole but I was wondering if any of you guys or girls by the supplies and parts that are not in a kit. If so- where? Looking for different sizes or options.

Jon Hood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 10:03AM by Jon Hood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon fiber grip supplies
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 11:16AM

Try Soller Composites, everything you need except the foam cores. [www.sollercomposites.com]
Norm

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.sub-174-228-148.myvzw.com)
Date: March 20, 2019 12:38PM

Thanks Norman,
That takes care of the carbon fiber sleeves - now that I’ve seen Mike Riley make the foam cores - I want to try that! So, any information on what to use and where to get please!

Jon Hood

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 02:23PM

Try products from United Composites, Fibre Glast, or Aluminite. They all sell a two part polyurethane foams of different densities.
Norm

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mobile.uscc.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 03:28PM

Yes I love soller composites I order stuff from there for all kinds of projects. Foam is also available from composites envision on @#$%&. They are located in Wausau Wisconsin

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 04:10PM

Thanks!
And I assume I will need to make my on mold correct?

Jon Hood

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2019 06:17PM

You don't need much of a mold. Take a square baking pan and bore holes end to end for mandrels. Pour the foam into the pan and let it expand and set. Then slip the mandrels out, saw the "cake" into 4 sections, reinsert the mandrels and turn away. This was also covered in an earlier issue of the magazine.

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2019 07:02PM

While others have criticized this idea as resulting in a grip that is too heavy, I have had good luck purchasing cheap cork handles that are frequently on sale from the various dealers listed to the left. I either use them as is or modify them to fit the design of the handle I'm creating. I then wet them with epoxy, slip the carbon fiber sleeve over them and zip tie them until they dry. I bought core from Riley Rods until they went out of business and didn't want the mess of pouring and turning my own. As for the weight t issue, I don't buy the too heavy argument. Most of the cheap cork I buy is not dense enough to be any heavier than the foam core I was using.

Date: March 20, 2019 09:15PM

Fair enough. The thing is, it's not the carbon skin that is important - it's the core material. When we were developing these grips, the carbon skin simply ended up being the best product to protect the all important, rigid, lightweight core. In effect, the carbon skin was an afterthought. It was not the prime consideration.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 10:02PM

I have done it both ways, cork or foam under the carbon sleeve. Weighed alone (before applying the sleeve) there is quite a difference between cork and the foam.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 05:50AM

As always - Great information!
Any other do’s, dont’s or tips/tricks?

Jon Hood

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2019 10:43AM

Hello All.

Tom, I think you are talking about the article "Foam Core Molding Station" in Volume 11, Issue 1, Page 19.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.sub-174-228-142.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2019 12:43PM

Thanks Bob,
Just ordered it!! I’m sure the pan with the mandrel through it will probably be the best bet as it has been proven. However, the idea of using the the silicone inside a pvc pipe seems like there would be less waste and less turning. Anyone use this method?(Mike Riley’s video) If so, I would like to hear about it! Pro’s and Con’s

Jon Hood

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2019 03:46PM

Hello Jon.

Mike sold those, I don't know if he has any leftovers.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.chtrptr.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 09:20PM

i've cobbled together some 1" (sprayed with release agent/waxed) pvc , 1/4" steel rods(also sprayed with release agent/waxed) and some sort of centering spacer to pour the two part foam cores. turns out well. just be forewarned to mix less than you think you will use. it really expands!!!! it is very thin at first as well. bottom of tubes have to be plugged. remember release agent.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2019 10:32PM

I would recommend US Composites or Raka Inc for 2 part foam. Both offer multiple densities.

I think Mike Riley was using 6 Lb Density foam

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2019 05:33AM

Does anyone have any info about the silicone portion of the mold he used? The pvc seems pretty straight forward to make but the silicone piece looked like it had ends on it to keep the the mandrel centered. I’m thinking he made those himself. Anyone have any info on these silicone molds?

Jon Hood

Date: March 22, 2019 08:09AM

If you're going to turn the cores on a lathe, the mandrel will automatically center once you take the first few roughing cuts. And this stuff turns very easy. Don't make things harder than they have to be.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.pools.cgn.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 22, 2019 08:40AM

Tom,
I agree, not trying to make things difficult at all - it seems to me that the mold system I am trying to research would be cleaner and use less materials - thus being more cost effective in the long run.

Jon Hood

Date: March 22, 2019 10:36AM

The foam doesn't cost much when you come right down to it. The grips are more labor intensive than they are monetarily expensive.

Getting the foam out of a PVC tubes, if you try to push from the end anyway, can be difficult as the interior of PVC is somewhat "pebbled" and even with the silicone mold release the removal of the core can be difficult. This is why we went to baking pans and just pour the foam in, and lift the "cake" out. Plus you can do four or so at a time.

The mold Mike was using was split down the middle so the halves could be separated, I think. Just can't remmember them exactly.

You'll probably have to make a few cores to find the system that you prefer.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster