I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX Elite Pro VS St Croix SCII Blanks
Posted by: Ernie Roberts (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 19, 2019 09:43PM

Hello all,

I currently have and have owned a 6'2" St Croix Eyecon Spinning in M/XF (Rated up to and including 5/8oz) and have gotten used to that rod for the past vertical jigging Walleye Season.. I use primarily 5/8 and once in awhile 3/4oz but its a little much for that rod...

I'm in the process of wanting to build 2 more, one for myself and another for a friend who uses pretty much either 3/4 but mostly1oz leadheads…

We prefer to stay 6'6" and nothing longer..

Wondering how the MHX Pro Elite Pro blanks might compare to the SCII

I'm wondering how the NEPS78MHF-MHX for myself nd the NEPS78MHXF-MHX might be for my buddy

Granted the NEPS82 series is more inline for weight rating but their a bit longer at 6'10" and don't really want that long..not sure if they could be trimmed some without effecting negatively..

Not sure if the MHX blnks are close to their ratings or are they possibly softer or maybe a bit on the stiffer side ??

As Always, truly appreciate the help and guidance

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX Elite Pro VS St Croix SCII Blanks
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 10:56PM

I did a CCS Intrisic power (IP) calculation on a SCVS66MF and the IP=425 gm, for an Eternity ETES68M the IP=455 gm, and for an MHX EPS 81MXF IP= 437gm. So all three were surprising close in their power ratings, Eventhough the Eternity and the Elite Pro series blanks were a little longer I would think that their respective 6’6” versions would be similar in power. For example, a SCVS70MF has an IP=457, which is quite close to the 6’6”version at 425gm. The Elite Pro series I measured I think was the older version since I picked it up at last year’s Expo. The newer version is an improvement over the older version, and I was quite impressed with the older version. I have built several rods on the older Elite Pro blanks, and they were all very impressive. I have not measured a SCII, but the SCV was their top of the line blank, so I think the Elite Pro series blank will be lighter and at very least just as powerful. I really don’t think you could go wrong with one of these blanks. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Ernie Roberts (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 20, 2019 02:28AM

thanks Norman,

I have absolutely no idea what you’ just said nor had I ever considered blanks could be such a science...

Ive at least managed to gather you feel this newer version elite pro line might be a good option ;-)

I’ll take your word for it... Thanks very much

I was hoping others who possibly own both SCII and MHX elite pros might also chime in with their opinions.

It’s a cloudy world for this greenhorn with so very many blank options available out there

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 02:46AM by Ernie Roberts.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 10:37AM

Ernie, intrinsic power is basically the amount of weight it takes to bend a rod 1/3 its total length. So it a means to determine the relative power of a given rod, and enables one to compare that rods with other rods. It is much more meaningful that relying on the manufacturers power designations of L, M, MH, H, etc. However, very few manufacturers give IP numbers when describing their blanks, thus it becomes very difficult for the consumer like yourself, to compare blanks from different manufacturers.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2019 04:49PM

Ernie, I can't help you on a comparison of the blanks you mentioned. I've never handled either of them. The numbers Norman gave you actually say a lot about the power of the blanks he compared. If you are looking to mimic the rod you mentioned, you'd need to do a CCS check for intrinsic power, and see how it compares to the blanks he listed. Doing CCS intrinsic power checks isn't complicated and is spelled out very well in the link near the top of the left hand column. Common Cents Info.

With that said, I noticed the rod you're used to using is 6'2" long. If you really like that length, there is a 6'2" blank in Rainshadow's Immortal line of blanks that you may want to give consideration to. It is in their walleye spinning rod line up. Below is a copy and paste from Rainshadow's web site

IMMWS62MXF Titanium Chrome 6'2" 1 6-15lb. 3/16-5/8oz. 0.422 4 XF M 1.2oz. Vertical Jigging/Blade baits/3way rigs.

While I haven't actually built or even felt the above blank, I can tell you that the Immortal blanks are outstanding blanks. I've built on 3 of them and they fish to their specs and maybe a tad above. Definitely a blank you should take a look at if you'd like to stay at that 6'2" rod length.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 05:44PM

David,
I have built several walleye rods on the blank you mentioned.

Also, the ml version as well.

The m power is great for 1/4 oz jigs and above.

The M-l power is great for 1/8th jigs and less. But, it still works fine with 1/4 and 3/8th jigs.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.61.---)
Date: March 21, 2019 07:45PM

Ernie, read the ccs stuff from the links in the left margin. Anyone serious about building should understand it. It's not that complicated. Just a way of objectively describing power and action (plus some more if you want to get into it).

Different intrinsic powers and different actions don't mean one blank is better than another, just different. Any manufacturer of blanks can make just about any power and action in just about any length. So thinking Brand A will be more powerful than Brand A is flawed from the start.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster