I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro Wrap Color Fast thread
Posted by: Rick Sankey (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 06:06PM

I have another questions this time about Pro Wrap Color Fast Thread.
I guess what I am wondering as a new builder what are the thoughts on the color fast thread compared to nylon thread that you have to use color preserver. I have already invested in the color fast thread and just finished a rod. It look good but does anyone know the long term look without using color preserver?
Thanks
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro Wrap Color Fast thread
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 06:16PM

You're supposed to ask this question before you're done with the rod lol . No worries, i use the same and think it looks great , most say regular nylon is more vibrant and i would agree but the colorfast looks great to me and apparently it's A OK for thousands of others as well because it is popular . Most rod finishes will turn a yellowish shade when exposed to years of sunlight , CP keeps the thread color from fading but won't keep finish from yellowing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 06:25PM

Rick,
I personally don't like the look of color fast or ncp thread. I feel that the look is a chalky or flat look.

Rather, I prefer the use of non coated nylon thread with no color preserver that give a translucent look to the thread.

But, to each his own and both hold the guides on just fine.

Be safe

Date: March 19, 2019 06:30PM

HAHA!!! Herb
I do agree with you on asking 1st. The main reason I am asking now is I have started a small business building rods. All the ones I have built in the past have all been using metallic thread so this was my 1st rod built with a different type of thread. Saying that, before I keep building my thread supply thought a good idea to ask.
Appreciate your feed back
Rick

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.61.---)
Date: March 19, 2019 06:31PM

Using CP or ncp thread are the only ways to get bright colors if that is what you want. Using regular nylon or polyester thread without CP gives different, more muted, translucent, colors, some very interesting. For example Gudebrod garnet without CP comes out a rich "black cherry" color. To get an estimate of what you'll get without CP (with normal, not ncp thread) do a test wrap and wet with alcohol. When it's wet you will see the approximate color that the wrap will end up after epoxy.

Date: March 19, 2019 06:51PM

Rick Sankey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HAHA!!! Herb
> I do agree with you on asking 1st. The main reason
> I am asking now is I have started a small business
> building rods. All the ones I have built in the
> past have all been using metallic thread so this
> was my 1st rod built with a different type of
> thread. Saying that, before I keep building my
> thread supply thought a good idea to ask.
> Appreciate your feed back
> Rick

Rick , Hitena is one of the sponsors of this website and many have jumped on their bandwagon due to the superb quality of their products including their NCP thread , the below link will show you what their thread looks like WITH rod finish applied and what it looks like WITHOUT rod finish applied , hope it helps . It's some of the most amazing thread i have ever used .

[hitenausa.com]

I forgot to add , i have used the Pro Wrap NCP and thought it was so so , i have used the Pro Wrap variegated thread (Love it, color stays true) and i have used Fuji's POLY NCP thread and i love that also and it retains perfect color and my last two rods have been wrapped with Hitena NCP and it's fantastic with the colors remaining vibrant and true .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 06:59PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 07:03PM

CP DOES NOT keep the thread from fading. It keeps the finish from changing the thread color.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 04:02AM

Another fun trick, take silver foil tape.. Place that on the blank first.. Be professional, cut your seams flush ;) then wrap nylon thread over it.. With out color preserver it give a cool effect.. Makes the thread really pop thanks to the translucency..

Herb, is hitena stretch thread similar to pro wrap premium threads?

Date: March 20, 2019 09:10AM

Hitena thread is considerably more stretchable than Pro Wraps thread and it snaps right back without taking a permanent set after it's stretched . The one thing i noticed about Pro Wrap is it's strength , their A size thread has the breaking equivalent of size B and C thread of some other manufacturers but that could be caused by it's diameter which i have not tested . If it's thicker in diameter than of course that will usually be the case.

That being said Hitena, Fuji and others in size A is strong and is not prone to breaking easily so the fact that i find Pro Wrap in size A to be stronger than other thread also listed as size A doesn't mean much & shouldn't sway anybody's decision to change brands.

Date: March 20, 2019 10:27PM

I just want to thank all of you who have given me your input on the thread. I am not new to building rods but I am new to building rods as a small business and want to make sure I do it right. So any and all info I can get is very much appreciated. To me no question is stupid so if I am thinking of one I will most definitely ask it. Since joining this sight I have had nothing but a positive experience.
Thanks
Rick

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-14.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2019 01:22AM

This is a very positive and helpful bunch.. Thats for sure.. I feel at home on this board...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster