I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1st attempt - Ultralight Casting Rod w. Spiral Guides - spacing?
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 04:30PM

Mark I am with you on the 5' blank I usually don't do anything less than 6'6". I believe the reel placement and handle length is going to absolutely effect the guide and stripper placement. I would guess a shorter handle with the reel set back more toward the butt and a tall guide for a stripper very close the reel. 5' blue water rod with a longer fighting handle / grip in a simple spiral, no problem but a 5' UL casting, your goal is to get more rod in front of the reel with perhaps a pistol style grip. Ben bait casters will always backlash if you want to get the most distance out of them. Just a lot of thumb control and UL lures against the wind; time for a spinning rod reel. I can cast a fly rod better against the wind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 04:46PM

i couldn,t agree more Lance..my casting days are pretty much limited it,s mostly fly or spin anymore..almost forgot, tenkara too..lol. maybe Mo can bring casting back with his new research..

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 21, 2019 01:53AM

Ben, a low cost BFS casting reel that can cast 2 grams (1/14th ounce) reliably is the Tsurinoya XF50. It comes in left and right handers, and can be had from @#$%& for under $50. By all accounts, very high bang for the buck. It can't go down to 1 gram though.

Yes, I realize that spiral for short rods may not make as much sense - but I'll take 1% gain. :) I'm not always practical and one of the joys for me is to push performance as far as I can in the technical sense so that my 'art' if you want to call it that, is to improve technical performance as much as possible. I don't ever do fancy wraps as those does not float my boat in any way. But I do enjoy and admire looking at gorgeous rod wraps.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 21, 2019 09:04AM

the science fiction writer arthur c. clark once said you,ll never know your limits until you try the impossible..your getting close to your limits Mo..lol. that xf 50 sounds interesting but 1 gram is a lot..i,ve been working on a project to build an ultra light spin rod to cast flies..don,t laugh, i,m casting a fly called the zonker about 30 feet when it gets soaking wet..it,s on a #8 hook..i,m working with grains of weight..there is about 15 grains in a gram..so maybe there are no limits..lol. thanks for the info.Mo..

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 22, 2019 03:50PM

Mo,
Quit reading and typing and get busy on the rod build! I am anxious to learn how it turns out and certain I am not the only one.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 22, 2019 11:02PM

Thanks Mark. yup - have to get all the parts lined up. I ordered some low cost BFS rigs to fish with first to get a sense of what they feel like. Then I'll start building for a higher end rig. Thanks.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster